Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

drinking after two and half weeks sober triggered withdrawal?

Notices

Old 01-20-2013, 08:13 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

as i said in my other post I didn't experience withdrawals for over a week after stopping. I felt great. like a spiritual awakening. I drank a six pack after a week and a half which is nothing for me and had the worst hangover and withdrawal symptoms since. i thought drinking moderate helps withdrawal. this doesn't make any sense. my withdrawal symptoms are mostly mental with this heavy strain feeling especially when i sleep, or don't sleep. I didn't need or want a drink but i thought, hey drinking in moderation is ok, right? I hope this ends soon
Old 01-20-2013, 08:16 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by caboblanco View Post
as i said in my other post I didn't experience withdrawals for over a week after stopping. I felt great. like a spiritual awakening. I drank a six pack after a week and a half which is nothing for me and had the worst hangover and withdrawal symptoms since. i thought drinking moderate helps withdrawal. this doesn't make any sense. my withdrawal symptoms are mostly mental with this heavy strain feeling especially when i sleep, or don't sleep. I didn't need or want a drink but i thought, hey drinking in moderation is ok, right? I hope this ends soon
Don't want to sound like a jerk, but a six pack is not moderate drinking. Take care of yourself, and this will end soon. Unless you pick up again. Wishing you well, and please know it can and WILL get better. Thousands of stories here about how this is so.
Old 01-20-2013, 08:26 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Recovering alcoholic

I drank a six pack after a week and a half which is nothing for me and had the worst hangover and withdrawal symptoms since. i thought drinking moderate helps withdrawal. this doesn't make any sense. my withdrawal symptoms are mostly mental with this heavy strain feeling especially when i sleep, or don't sleep. I didn't need or want a drink but i thought, hey drinking in moderation is ok, right? I hope this ends soon
That to me personally isn't moderate, more like a binge after a week and so forth, a hangover is actually mild form of withdrawal and that is a fact. Pshycologically it will interupt, it did with me in the beginning, then physically I became dependant. It will end soon and will get better, just take this as a precaution, it all starts with the thinking and the mind..... Don't get tricked and fall in the trap like I did! The last thing in the world you want to do is become physically addicted, then you will struggle continously, not saying that will happen to you but in general....
Old 01-20-2013, 08:29 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

After I was sober six months, I had a dessert which I had no idea had alcohol in it (and uncooked alcohol at that! )

I would never have had such a thing to eat had I known, but it was a total innocent accident. After two bites, I thought this tastes like alcohol and pushed it aside just in case. I was more thinking the similar taste might trigger a craving, not that the alcohol in the two bites would affect me.

I forgot about it but wouldn't you know the next 24 hours I had dizziness and had room spins during the night. I did not connect that to the dessert till a week later but when I did I was convinced it was the cause.

So I believe anything is possible. Our bodies are so confused from our alcohol abuse and dependence that the reaction of our bodies cannot be anticipated.
Old 01-20-2013, 09:20 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Most of what I experienced early on that I called "withdrawl symptoms" was pure FEAR... it went away when I found out all that I was afraid of and addressed it sober.

I could only find the direction and strength to do that in AA.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 01-20-2013, 10:48 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Exclamation

as i said in my other post I didn't experience withdrawals for over a week after stopping. I felt great. like a spiritual awakening. I drank a six pack after a week and a half which is nothing for me and had the worst hangover and withdrawal symptoms since. I thought drinking moderate helps withdrawal. this doesn't make any sense. my withdrawal symptoms are mostly mental with this heavy strain feeling especially when i sleep, or don't sleep. I didn't need or want a drink but i thought, hey drinking in moderation is ok, right? I hope this ends soon
Hi Cabo,

Are you saying you quit drinking for a week and a half, then had a six pack,because you thought that moderate drinking helps withdrawals?

...and if this is what you are saying , then my response would be

Of course drinking alcohol is going to limit your withdrawal symptoms, since drinking means you are not going through withdrawal, you are just continuing to drink.....and the hangovers WILL be worse once you have alcohol out of your system for weeks and then "relapse". There is NO drinking in Moderation when you are an alcoholic trying to get sober. You have to find some other way of dealing with the withdrawal symptoms or it defeats the purpose of sobriety.

Once you stop drinking alcohol --that is it , never again can you drink. There is no drinking in moderation for withdrawal symptoms--that would be called a RELAPSE!
Old 01-20-2013, 12:30 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Fellow Traveler and Seeker

I didn't need or want a drink but i thought, hey drinking in moderation is ok, right? I hope this ends soon
Therein lies the insanity that revolves around alcoholism - that we can drink normally, and we can rationalize it any way we want to make it happen.

The only thing that "triggers" withdrawal is abstinence. I had different experiences of withdrawal all the time - sometimes it was light, other times it hit me HARD. Next one could be deadly. Who knows?

It's not fun going through full withdrawals, but it's a hurdle that needs to be cleared before getting to the root of the problem.