Notices

Librium, miracle drug?

Old 01-20-2013, 05:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Recovering alcoholic

Librium, miracle drug?

As we all know many alcoholics who have a detox have the choice to use Librium to stop potentially life threating symptoms. I have recently heard that this drug can be got hold of and abused. My late mother never had it, when she detoxed she was just monitored as she was jaundiced, HOWEVER because she didn't have this medication or other in that matter she was basically observed for 2 weeks in total and she was fitting 4-5 a day, went into MAJOR confusion and DT's along with Korsakoff's Wernicks as lack of vitamin B. I understand that they wouldn't give the drug to her as she had liver damage, BUT it could have eased her withdrawal immensly. I have taken it before to detox and it helps but it doesn't get rid of everything you go through getting off the S***. Why it's called a miracle drug I don't know as I wanted or felt like I needed more to stop my anxiety and shaking. Now these drugs are being sold and abused by ex alcoholics and get hooked on them, so a substitute for one thing over another. I just wanted your opinions on it if you have ever had it or been offered it?
Old 01-20-2013, 07:28 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

My experience with that drug is that it helped my severe alcohol withdrawals. It prevented me from having seizures & from seeing spiders webs & bugs on the walls. It is not abused as much as people think because it has a long half life. I take a benzo similar to librium & it helps me stay sober. Some may say that I'm addicted to it (which I'm not) & if that is the case then I'm okay with it. I'd rather be addicted to a pill that really helps me than a bottle of vodka and/or crack pipe.
Old 01-20-2013, 07:31 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Was given a weeks course once when i suffered severe withdrawal, (full blown DT's/psychosis) Found it a tremendous help, never had them again or felt any cravings for them though. They calmed me right down and mellowed me out, so can see why they would be abused, hope never to need them again!
Old 01-20-2013, 07:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Recovering alcoholic

Originally Posted by Nineteen67 View Post
Was given a weeks course once when i suffered severe withdrawal, (full blown DT's/psychosis) Found it a tremendous help, never had them again or felt any cravings for them though. They calmed me right down and mellowed me out, so can see why they would be abused, hope never to need them again!
I hope with all my heart you won't have to!
Old 01-20-2013, 08:04 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I requested it once, as I feared withdrawals. I took it for one day, and that was it. I didn't feel I needed it, and actually wanted to be clean of everything. (I don't take pills besides vitamins.)

My late twin brother often detoxed with it. I believe it saved him a world of pain.
Old 01-20-2013, 08:09 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Recovering alcoholic

Originally Posted by Change4good View Post
I requested it once, as I feared withdrawals.
It probably was for the anxiety I take? Doctors have to assess you to what specific symptoms you are having i.e. BP/Pulse and it holds down the seizure risk.
Old 01-20-2013, 08:13 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JasonMarchelak View Post
It probably was for the anxiety I take? Doctors have to assess you to what specific symptoms you are having i.e. BP/Pulse and it holds down the seizure risk.
Actually, I saw a pill pusher psychiatrist who would have prescribed anything I asked for. I requested Librium because that is all I knew about medical detox.

She sucked, and I realized I wasn't a very informed consumer of mental health services. I am doing fine on my own, sans medication. That is how I want it. But I understand that it can be invaluable to others in detoxing.
Old 01-20-2013, 08:19 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Recovering alcoholic

Originally Posted by Change4good View Post
I am doing fine on my own, sans medication. That is how I want it.
Thats a good attitude to have