Notices

Young and in recovery

Old 01-19-2013, 04:24 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I also agree that 7:30 is a bit early. Sometimes too many restrictions make things worse.
Old 01-19-2013, 07:32 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by janiebluebird View Post
I also agree that 7:30 is a bit early. Sometimes too many restrictions make things worse.
Um, I'm not trying to be confrontational, I'm just incredulous: 7:30? A bit early? She's 28, not 18!!!

Why does she even have a curfew in the first place? If she's not going out and getting drunk and coming home at four o'clock in the morning, why does she need a curfew? Doesn't she have a key to the front door? Am I missing something here?
Old 01-19-2013, 07:55 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I'm 34...but I've kept my youthful beauty and innocence. Joking...but I do understand everyone's frustrations. I feel like I'm in some weird middle age of sobriety...not young, not old, you know? Seems like everyone in the rooms I attend is either 10 years younger than me...or 15 years older. Not that age really matters of course...I'm just saying...it feels odd as far as figuring out what sober "activies" I feel like doing...playing Call Of Duty or playing Pinochle.
Old 01-19-2013, 08:13 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I was 31 when I first for clean. Although I now still grieve for those days, I know that if I hadn't of stopped then, i would have died from an od or at the very least be in a very bad way. Much, much more damage would have been done...I have done enough damage using and shrinking for just a few months now at 34, I'd hate to think where id be without all those years in recovery.
Old 01-19-2013, 08:45 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Whether her curfew is fair or not isn't the point. She is living with them, at the age of 28, and should abide by their rules. Part of sobriety is learning to grow up and accept the consequences of our actions. I think it sounds like she's trying to do that.
Old 01-20-2013, 10:47 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gal220 View Post
Whether her curfew is fair or not isn't the point. She is living with them, at the age of 28, and should abide by their rules. Part of sobriety is learning to grow up and accept the consequences of our actions. I think it sounds like she's trying to do that.
I'm sorry, I'm not here to pick a fight, so I hope it doesn't come across like that, but I completely and totally disagree with this reasoning.

She is an ADULT, and they are treating her like a CHILD, which she is not. It doesn't matter to me whether it's "their house." If I go to visit or stay with my mother, she doesn't require me to come home at a certain hour, and the few expectations she has are based on consideration, such as "please replace something if you use it"--because I am a GROWN UP.

And believe you me, If she did, I'd go stay in a homeless shelter if that was my only other option, because I have boundaries for crying out loud! At least at a shelter they don't criticize your weight and the curfew is at 10:00.

Furthermore, her mother is actively trying to sabotage her confidence and her sobriety, by criticizing her weight, telling her she "goes to many A.A meetings" and is to "needy for friends," when the girl is trying to stay sober and is lonely for friends!!! No wonder she's struggling!

The whole "curfew" thing would be one thing if they were truly in her corner, (and the curfew was more reasonable for an adult) but their behavior and attitudes sounds to me like it's controlling and not SUPPORTIVE, which I personally believe will end up undermining her sobriety, not helping it.

The title of her post says "Young and in recovery" so I expected her to be 19 or so, not 28. She's almost 30 years old! The relationship she has with her family doesn't sound HEALTHY!!!

How on earth can she learn to "grow up" if they are treating her like a child?!
Old 01-20-2013, 12:17 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gforce23 View Post
I'm sorry, I'm not here to pick a fight, so I hope it doesn't come across like that, but I completely and totally disagree with this reasoning.

She is an ADULT, and they are treating her like a CHILD, which she is not. It doesn't matter to me whether it's "their house." If I go to visit or stay with my mother, she doesn't require me to come home at a certain hour, and the few expectations she has are based on consideration, such as "please replace something if you use it"--because I am a GROWN UP.

And believe you me, If she did, I'd go stay in a homeless shelter if that was my only other option, because I have boundaries for crying out loud! At least at a shelter they don't criticize your weight and the curfew is at 10:00.

Furthermore, her mother is actively trying to sabotage her confidence and her sobriety, by criticizing her weight, telling her she "goes to many A.A meetings" and is to "needy for friends," when the girl is trying to stay sober and is lonely for friends!!! No wonder she's struggling!

The whole "curfew" thing would be one thing if they were truly in her corner, (and the curfew was more reasonable for an adult) but their behavior and attitudes sounds to me like it's controlling and not SUPPORTIVE, which I personally believe will end up undermining her sobriety, not helping it.

The title of her post says "Young and in recovery" so I expected her to be 19 or so, not 28. She's almost 30 years old! The relationship she has with her family doesn't sound HEALTHY!!!

How on earth can she learn to "grow up" if they are treating her like a child?!
I agree! I personally would not parent that way, but that doesn't matter. I also agree that I don't think she's "young", and her relationship doesn't sound healthy with her family. Maybe that's because SHE wasn't acting like an ADULT. Maybe her parents are reacting to her admittedly childish and bad behavior. Or maybe they're not. Maybe they're just crazy. (I doubt this is the case, though.) In recovery, I've learned the only thing I can control is myself. It doesn't matter if my family enables me. I'm responsible for myself. Blaming my behavior on other people will never help me, even if I'm "right" or life really isn't "fair". I don't think joining in on a pity party with her is going to be helpful advice.

It sounds like she's trying to grow up, though. She said she can't move out right now because of financial reasons. If her situation was so intolerable to her, she would find a way. She obviously gets more benefit from relying on her parents than detriment. She is plenty old enough to be self-sufficient and independent. I give her kudos for starting to do that. She's seeking solutions, and it sounds like she's on her way!
Old 01-20-2013, 12:43 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Fellow Traveler and Seeker

With all due respect, the OP's relationship with their family is her own. I don't see how speculation on motives and making declarative statements about intentions will help the OP. Personal experiences in this area may be more helpful, rather than blanket statements on people we don't know.

Just my opinion.
Old 01-20-2013, 12:45 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

If I may return to the original questions that started this thread.

Anoronha? Congratulations on your sober time, that is awesome. Congratulations as well for your wisdom, courage and will power in making a better life for yourself in spite of all the challenges you have mentioned and this nasty disease we all share.

Out here we have meetings that are called "Young People". Officially they are a part of AA, but the young-uns are all "poly-addicted" so they talk about _all_ the chemicals you can think of. They go out for dinner after the meet, they have picnics on the weekends, retreats up in the mountains.

There is one around the corner from my apartment, and when I go I am _way_ the oldest person in the room. They welcome me just the same, never once have they made me feel different or unwanted simply because I am old enough to be their grand-pa.

One of the things I love about recovery is that it's not about where we have been, or how long we were there, or anything to do with what we did or did not do. At the meets I go to the focus is on today. Who we are right now, what we are doing with our lives at this moment in order to become the people we want to be. That is what makes us equal.

Anoronha, congratulations again, and well done. And thank you for not thinking I am too old to listen to your share and learn from your experience.

Mike
Moderator, SR
Old 01-20-2013, 01:42 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by paul99 View Post
With all due respect, the OP's relationship with their family is her own. I don't see how speculation on motives and making declarative statements about intentions will help the OP. Personal experiences in this area may be more helpful, rather than blanket statements on people we don't know.

Just my opinion.
She's 28, her parents make her come home at 7:30, they criticize her weight, and tell her she's "to needy" for friends, and that she goes to "to many meetings." So, if you ask me, her OWN words are painting the picture pretty clearly.

I Personally think that parents insisting on a 7:30 curfew for their adult daughter is a "red flag" that needed pointing out. However, I'm not going to keep going here, because it's becoming un-constructive-- Hopefully she can decide on the validity (or lack their of,) of my statements, and whether they have any value or truth for her in her situation for herself.
Old 01-20-2013, 05:41 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Hi guys thanks for all the feedback. I'm gonna pay my parents back every single cent I owe them and move out soon. Tomorrow some more job hunting.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:18 AM
  # 32 (permalink)