Notices

A question for you Alco's

Old 04-21-2004, 09:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A question for you Alco's

This forum is rockin! Darned that I'm not an alco, but I thought I would pop in and ask you all a question. I believe my addiction stems from since I was born (OCD). Is that the same with alcoholism? Seeing as I found cutting, using, habits, etc. to be addictions. Is alcoholism a "compulsion to drink" the same as using? Thanks for letting me ask!

Rock on,

Dotster :shakin
Old 04-21-2004, 09:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
ted
OH SH!T

Re: A question for you Alco's

HEY DOT ,FIRST ,WHAT'S (OCD)? ANYHOW ,COMPULSION.... WOW.IT GRABS ME SO HARD AT TIMES,I'D LOOK FOR ANY REASON,YOU MADE ME MAD,BAD DAY,IT'S RAINING,IT'S A DAY THAT ENDS IN (Y)!I DON'T KNOW IF YOU CONSIDER THAT COMPULSION OR NOT.I'VE BEEN DRINKING HARD FOR 20+YEARS,LOTS OF DRUGS TO,I GUESS YOU COULD SAY GARBAGE CAN.I USED WHATEVER WAS AVALIBLE,AFFORDABLE,YOURS AND MINE.COMPULSION OR ALCOHOLIC/ADDICT?BEEN A LONG HARD ROAD,SOBER THIS TIME SINCE SATURDAY.TRYING HARD,STAYIN STRONG.......ted
Old 04-21-2004, 10:11 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

ted,

congrats on your 5 days! that is too cool! ocd is obsessive compulsive disorder. so im supposing you had a compulsion to use/drink? i can relate about the excuses. someone would make me mad and i would punish them by using and would excuse my behavior becuz it was after all, their fault! thank you for your reply! your an inspiration!

hugs and ROCK ON,
dotster
Old 04-21-2004, 10:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Personally, I realized that I'm an alcoholic and I also cut myself on occasion of high stress.
I find the feelings are very similar...it's a want to 'run away' from everything. The only difference for me is how I choose to do that.
Stacey
Old 04-21-2004, 11:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

stacey,

interesting thanks! i have felt similar feelings with cutting/using. i dont so much want to run away though, its more i get too many thoughts rolling around in my head and just want to find some way to deal with them, but cant. so actually, i guess it was running away! interesting...

rock on!

dot
Old 04-22-2004, 12:47 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You cut? I'm surprized...I've never met anyone that has....do you still or how did you manage to stop? I just did last night for the first time in 2 months... I mean, it's not exactly as socially acceptable as drinking is so....I don't know. It's just different to meet someone else on here that cuts....
Stacey
Old 04-22-2004, 05:13 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

In my own expercience and from what I have read the answer is no. But There are a few of us who have what I believe they called a type I think it was 2 Alcoholic where basicaly once we started drinking we were drinking all the time within a couple of months. I know I was one of those.

Hope this helps

Steve
Old 04-23-2004, 12:22 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

labyrinth,

thank you for your reply! interesting, so when you would drink you did not feel a compulsion but did lose control? sorry for all the q's! thanks again.

stacey,

i do not cut anymore. at first when i cut it was for attention. then during and after my using i found it to be a compulsion. its not something i do anymore, i found the 12 steps helpful with it. ive got a bunch of different habits, rituals, etc that the steps really work well for!

hugs,

dot
Old 04-23-2004, 07:31 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

It was more like I desperatly wanted to drink, so I did. But it was not like a compulsion disorder. I know becasue after tripping on XTC I would develope a complusion disorder the next day It was realy weird but it was like I had to clean the house or something. The last time I tripped the next day I spent 30 min just loading and unloading the dishwasher (with the same load of dishes)lol.
Old 04-23-2004, 09:44 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

ahhh how i can relate. doc meth. i was one big useless compulsive junkie, haha. lol about the dishes. very interesting thank you!

rock on!

dotster