Notices

The scientific approach

Old 01-19-2013, 01:23 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

sorry guys, but my english is not good enough to express myself... I do prefer scientific approach to alcoholism. It is a disease, both mentally and physically. I can work with my physical effects (general health deterioration) and partly my mental health. But "God", whatever it means, won't help me. I heard phrases in AA like "let God help you and guide you through this"... God cannot help me. I have to do all the work
Old 01-19-2013, 01:38 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by justanother1 View Post
I have to do all the work
It's all good, so long as you live a full sober life.
Old 01-19-2013, 07:51 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Ha,

Well that escalated quickly.

I stand by what I say; I think the main focus of recovery should not be any reference to divine beings, but should be on the science behind the addiction.

In my initial post I did say that I agreed that AA does a lot of good work, I just find it curious that AA is so religious. I am not American though, so perhaps I will never understand, and I do accept that a lot of you guys are very into religion and all it entails.

No harm intended, but as this is an addiction forum and AA is a group a lot of people turn to, and also as I have got myself clean without involving them in any way, I thought in a round and about way it was relevant.

Bit of forum drama for a Saturday night may have kept a few people off the drink too, so consider it a service!
Old 01-19-2013, 08:56 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

I bought an apple pie the other day. It was great; everyone loved it. It's just such a shame they had to put apples in it.
Old 01-19-2013, 11:10 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Well, I tried the scientific method. I studied scientific method for 10 years. I have a Bachelor of Science with a major in Biology, a Masters in Engineering (OHS) and a Diploma in Paramedical Science. I tried every conceivable method to stop drinking and stuffing up my life and got stumped at every turn. I'd go a couple of weeks sober and then end it with a blow out. I cannot tell you what "God" is, I doubt any living person can truly define what IT is. All I know is that "God" as my little mind understands it, saved my life. I'll end that with a very humble HA!
Old 01-19-2013, 11:27 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Here's an old thread where we debated what alcoholism is : http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ml#post3254617
Old 01-19-2013, 11:30 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  
Administrator

I was waiting for the OP to reply....they did....we're done.
Thanks to everybody for being civil.

thread closed.
D