I need meetings

Old 01-17-2013, 11:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I need meetings

Definition of MEETING

: an act or process of coming together: as
a : an assembly for a common purpose

12&12 p.110, Step Twelve
We sit in A.A. meetings and listen, not only to receive something ourselves, but to give the reassurance and support which our presence can bring.

I learned that meetings are VERY important no matter how much time you have in this program...

I'm glad I listen to others when they share and tell me how it's not any better "out there". I'm glad I have a head and heart full of AA and my HP.

I finally realize the importance of the saying "Meeting Makers Make it" .

I have found that if I go without , I start to revert back to my old ways in a short time .

I need to keep inserting new ideas in my head and pushing old ideas out and yesterdays meeting doesn't always cover today's recovery.

I could maybe stay abstinent on 1 meeting a week, but I would be miserable and sitting on my hands waiting for the next meeting.

I don't want to settle for mediocre recovery so I go to lots of meetings. I want to be happy, joyous and free.

How ever many I need, how ever often... my balance is what I need to be comfortable in my own skin .

For me, there is no recovery from alcoholism that doesn't include AA meetings .

Only in meetings do I experience "the fellowship of the spirit" that has enabled to keep me sober, sane and content in my skin.

I have to remain ever vigilant, because my illness wants to tell me that I am cured and don't need AA meetings.

My illness is "cunning, baffling, powerfull" and keeps getting stronger every day, I can't trust it. This illness centers in our minds.

12&12 p.39, Step Three
More sobriety brought about by the admission of alcoholism and by attendance at a few meetings is very good indeed, but it is bound to be a far cry from permanent sobriety and a contented, useful life.

For me
I need to spend time with God.
I need to go to meetings.
I need to call my sponsor.
I need to be actively working the steps.
I need to work with others in recovery.
I need to be active in my church.

Take away any one of these things and I am doomed.

I love it in the 12X12 where it says “we must grab onto sobriety with all the fervor of a drowning man reaching for a life-ring." Through the grace of God, AA has been a life-ring for me, because I was for sure in over my head.

So I have learned that I need it all…

I guess the point of this is that I have to stay willing to do whatever it takes to stay sober today. And my peace is in direct proportion to the effort I put into my recovery.

Thanks
Old 01-18-2013, 05:54 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

The program of Alcoholics Anonymous is like the recipe for a fine meal.

Following the tenents of AA and following the recipe as written both produce the desired attractive results.

Deviation or failure/omission of some ingredients in either case bears less than optimum fruit. As an alky I have to learn that simple truth the hard way... usually repeatedly

All the best.

Bob R
Old 01-18-2013, 08:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Fellow Traveler and Seeker

Well said, deeker.

Sometimes I get to meetings because I just need to be with my peeps - and that's it...a sense of community that is greater than the sum of it's members.