Notices

Just wanted to know

Old 01-18-2013, 10:57 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I can only share what I have to share. 12 stepping can take in a whole lot more than going to someone's home and sitting with them while they blow snot bubbles and puke. Sometimes the best 12th step is one newcomer to another. The trick is not to come off like I know more than I know. I can only share what I have to share. If I can give someone a ride to a meeting, or home from a meeting, go out for coffee and just talk about what it's like to be a newcomer; scared, uncomfortable, shy, not having a sponsor, what it's like to ask someone to sponsor..etc., that's all good stuff.

Some of the best meetings I've been to are ones when I've gone in and looked for someone who looked on the outside, the way I felt on the inside and just said "hi, nice to see you here". Didn't matter what was said in the meeting. I walked out feeling like I'd accomplished something and who knows, that person might just say "hi" back and want to talk.
Old 01-18-2013, 11:01 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Nothing will help you more than working with others IMO. Its never too early.
As mentioned above, its not wise to go alone so try and get someone to go with you.

Im glad Bill didnt have a sponsor telling him to hold off on working with others!
Old 01-18-2013, 11:10 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

"it is well to let him go as far as he like in helping other alcoholics. During those first days of convalescence, this will do more to insure his sobriety than anything else."

P129 Big book