Notices

Weight

Old 01-17-2013, 07:27 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
A work in progress

I gained 20 pounds over the first few months. A couple years later and it was gone.

I drank instead of eating, but once I quit drinking everything tasted so GOOD.

Obviously you don't want to go TOO overboard, especially if you are overweight to begin with, but I would rather see someone sober with a few extra pounds for a while than stressing too much over an improved appetite. Things like that tend to even out after a while.
Old 01-17-2013, 08:00 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I lost weight, but craved sugar like mad! Seven months later, I'm able to stave off most of my sugar cravings, eat a very healthy diet and exercise daily. My weight is stable and I feel great!

I'm really into discovering new recipes using whole fresh foods
Old 01-18-2013, 08:41 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Fellow Traveler and Seeker

I wish I had been one of those skinny drunks...but drinking kicked in a hunger for food that was just downright...filthy. I ate non-stop while I drank. I don't know how I didn't balloon. Nonetheless, when I quite, I thought the pounds would drop. Nope.

Now, as mentioned a few times in this thread, sugar was something that entered the picture. I made the mistake of taking a counselor's advice of "don't worry about the sugar - eat as much as you need, it's better than the alternative". Well, was off to the races. I gained weight and felt just as unhealthy as I did when I was drinking. Why couldn't I now be one of those skinny recovered drunks?

I cut sugar out completely about 6 weeks ago. Zero. No honey, agave, maple syrup, white sugar, brown sugar, demerara sugar, corn syrup, high fructose corn syrup, molasses, raw sugar, icing sugar, artificial sweeteners, fruit juice, or syrups of any kind. And this includes things that have them - most cereals, BBQ sauce, ketchup, soda pop, etc. Zilch. Cold turkey.

The results? lost 20 lbs in those 6 weeks. I didn't work out any more (I worked out less, actually) and I ate when hungry. No restrictions...other than no sugar. I have more energy than I did by boosting it with sugary coffee and chocolate bars. I am not crashing and burning every hour because of sugar lows.

Healthy foods, fruit, exercise...all the things they keep telling us to do...it works.