Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Your Primary Care Physician's Role in Your Recovery

Notices
View Poll Results: Your Primary Care Physician was...
Very Helpful... Made all the difference!!
14.10%
Generally helpful and supportive.
21.79%
Meh, neither helpful or not helpful.
7.69%
Not very helpful, offered little support.
2.56%
Not at all helpful, (S)He needs to be educated and learn some compassion.
3.85%
I did not seek medical care.
50.00%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Your Primary Care Physician's Role in Your Recovery

Old 01-16-2013, 02:22 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

I couldn't afford a GP on top of a psych dr, soooo....that was all I had. I came clean to him and he stopped Rx-ing me narcotics. No other reaction really, but thats a psychiatrist for you.

Well, at that point my psych wasn't actually seeing me but had handed me off to a nurse practictioner who Rx-ed my meds. Anyway, she wrote it down on my chart and stopped my narcotics, asked if I was in a program and wrote that down too.

My most recent Psych actually asked me regularly how recovery was going etc. She met me when I was in the hospital recovering from an OD.
Old 01-16-2013, 06:37 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Thanx for all these responses.

I was moved to start this poll because we hear so often said to newcomers who have yet to start their journey... "go see your doctor" ... Which is good advice, and really the only safe and sound advice to give, here in cyberspace. I wondered what people's actual experience was...

As of this post, there were 49 responses, of them 27 did not see a doctor. That leaves 22 who did. Of the 22, 14 of them had a positive experience, that's about two out of three, not too bad... 5, or about one out of four were neutral... and there were 3 negative experience, or about one out of seven...

I would conclude, based on this very small sampling, that the chances are pretty good you won't have a negative experience, in fact the chances are much more in your favor that the experience will be a positive one.

Must an alcoholic see a physician before starting recovery? There is no possible way for us to know that here on SR... none, no way. Are there drawbacks? based on medical records and insurance issues... possibly, and previous threads reveal the whole spectrum of experience... but dying of alcoholic withdrawal, DT's, I think trumps that risk, safe to say?

Thanx again... awesome responses!
Old 01-16-2013, 06:46 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

My doctor is available for me for emergencies
if needed or general check ups if needed and
i'm very grateful for my continued good health
at my age. When going to the doctor, any
doctor, they are aware during the visit that
if meds are to be administered that I am in
recovery for alcoholism and that I don't want
anything narcotic nor habit forming. That I
don't want anything to interfere with my sobriety
and recovery.

Placing my trust and life in my doctors is
extremely important to me and my well being
as it is for me to be truthfull and honest with
them.

So far this has worked for me for the last 22
yrs sober and continues to do so.
Old 01-16-2013, 05:17 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Mark, most Dr's had given up on me. ER room Dr's were especially harsh but I have come to realize that they were just frustrated with my repeatedly showing up intoxicated. I was a demanding & difficult patient requesting drugs, sandwiches, phone calls, urinating in my pants ect... I had a few psychiatrists who seemed to understand & really believed it was a disease that I was dying from though. One, in particular, who really understood how difficult it was getting sober after having had depression in my early 20's before the addiction.
Old 01-16-2013, 05:38 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Mark, most of my Doctors knew I drank and tried to talk to me but I was not receptive of their advice. I wasn't in denial, I knew I had a problem but was ambivalent about the issue. I wanted to quit but I also wanted to drink, stuck in the middle. What can a Doctor possibly do with someone in that state?
Old 01-16-2013, 05:45 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

One of the best things I have done is to seek the support of my PCP. He can be a pain in the butt has helped me tremendously.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:44 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mark75 View Post
Must an alcoholic see a physician before starting recovery? There is no possible way for us to know that here on SR... none, no way. Are there drawbacks? based on medical records and insurance issues... possibly, and previous threads reveal the whole spectrum of experience... but dying of alcoholic withdrawal, DT's, I think trumps that risk, safe to say?
Mark,

I'm about to play Devil's Advocate a bit here...

I didn't see a doctor before quitting or starting recovery. There's a brief synopsis of what I went through in 'my story' posted in that forum here where we can tell our stories. Perhaps it is suffice to say that my heart stopped for plenty long enough to stay dead and I have permanant brain damage as a result of that experience. The suffering that I endured prior to my heart giving out was the worst suffering that I have ever endured - and that from one who endured torture while in the military.

It is certainly possible, and perhaps even probable that I could have been spared that suffering, great risk of death and subsequent brain damage had I sought medical assistance beforehand. I'm glad I didn't.

I've been told that the greatest risk to ones sobriety is not skipping meetings or not getting a sponsor. The greatest risk is not whether you're in your twenty's and still have lots of partying to do or in your sixties and are set in your ways The greatest risk to ones sobriety is forgetting where you came from.

I came from a place where self preservation flees and your only fear is that you will continue to live. Indescribable pain, anguish, helplessness and hopelessness. Knowing that to not drink or use meant to die and consciously choosing death. And then dying. When the first responders got my heart started again and I came to - I knew I would never have to drink or use again. I was free. Faced with the choice of live free or die - I chose death and in doing so, I got the opportunity to live a life like I had never dreamed of. If a doctor would have cared for me through this - if one had been present, I would have been spared that opportunity to have a quit that I shall never be able to forget.

I wouldn't dream of taking that opportunity from anyone.
Old 01-17-2013, 03:51 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

I used my doctor for support although I wouldn't say he made the decision for me. I told him how much I drank (v v difficult to get the words out), asked him what the health consequences would be, and told him of my plans. He prescribed me some pills to take away cravings, which didn't work, and urged me to join AA (also didn't take that advice). I gave up in my own time, but I think knowing I was going to report to him next appointment did give some motivation.
Old 01-17-2013, 12:35 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Administrator

My experience was similar to yours legna - I too suffered brain damage in my last detox.

I'm afraid I can't make the leap you have and make a virtue out of my suffering or from not seeing my Dr before I did - it was a mistake and damn near a fatal one.

D
Old 01-17-2013, 01:17 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Legna... Thanx. I think we can dig down a little deeper into this question, and would love to see where that goes.

I don't think that a doctor has the power to make us sober. I don't think anyone, really, has that power, except ourselves and whatever higher power way may tap into... Desire, obviously, has much to do with that... Perhaps a doctor can help spark that desire? IDK.

Your point is quite the opposite though, yes? That if a doctor offers the easier, softer way, perhaps we won't get the opportunity to stand at the edge of death and darkness and know that it is all there is if we continue... and that is what it may take?

I guess we have to experience whatever it takes to get us into recovery.

My poll was really a vehicle see what those in SR experienced when they did use a physician in their recovery, and that those who might actually cross that edge into DTs and death... really have little to fear when they ask for help from their doctor.

Awesome share legna (angel?)...
Old 01-17-2013, 01:38 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mark75 View Post

Your point is quite the opposite though, yes? That if a doctor offers the easier, softer way, perhaps we won't get the opportunity to stand at the edge of death and darkness and know that it is all there is if we continue... and that is what it may take?
*nods* An 'easier, softer way' was the phrase that eluded me. I agree that a doctor can't get me sober - but s/he can care for my body while I do. His or her presence can mitigate much of the fear and uncertainty. It takes the life or death struggle out of my hands and puts it in someone elses.

For me, I needed to know that I would rather die than drink or use again. I didn't know that when I decided that I would try quitting...in fact, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have chosen death over continued drinking and using at that time. A few days later though, after taking everything my mind and withdrawal could throw at me in an attempt to get me to pick up again... I had come so far, suffered so much... and if I gave up then it was all for nothing.

So yeah, if the cost had been less, I think I would have picked up again.
Old 01-17-2013, 03:35 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Alcohol dependence seems to be 'an opportunity to learn' for the medical professionals I have encountered. I took my last drink before I told them how much I had been drinking, and when we did discuss the level of my addiction, not a single eye was batted. It makes me wonder if they each knew how bad my problem had been, if they see this thing frequently, or if it is just a result of training and good bedside manner.

The topic of substance abuse and dependency was not well understood by these folks, it seemed that their understanding was comprised of a single 1000 word essay from one of the old Readers' Digest issues that were lying in the waiting room. When I wanted to share my experience with them it was clear that there was 'an opportunity for learning' there. It appeared as though they simply were not aware of the current availability of a variety of techniques and programs.
Old 01-17-2013, 06:09 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

My experience has been that most of the doctors I've been to, have been extremely helpful. Especially those who HAD TIME to talk with me properly, in their office/surgery, such as my GP, my neurologist, psychiatrist - only saw him once, my therapist. On the other hand, the busy ER doctors were extremely abrupt, and I can't blame them. The help and care I received has been excellent, and there is no shame in admitting that you need help. I should have done it sooner, even though I was so afraid and embarassed in the beginning...
Old 01-18-2013, 08:57 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

I spoke my Dr yesterday, she has been amazing, she is a younger Dr and has never done a home detox before.. she researched all the options for free detox and called me. That did not work out, so she has prescribed me a home detox. Without her i would be having 15 beers tomorrow instead of getting sober.
Old 01-18-2013, 02:08 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

I wouldn't be sober without my doctors. I remember telling my family GP of 20 years that I needed help because I was drinking and couldn't stop. I expected him to look at my with shame or contempt or something negative. He was so supportive and made me feel so utterly normal. It was amazing. It was what made me realise that being alcoholic doesn't make me a 'bad person'.
Old 01-20-2013, 01:52 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

I got this doctor when I was getting started so he's known me from the get go. He's been very supportive and I am grateful to have him. He's been my doctor for about six years now.
Old 01-20-2013, 05:15 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

My PCP is an internist. She has been the most helpful soul I have ever met.
Old 01-21-2013, 06:47 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Interesting poll.

There was no way I would admit I was alcoholic to my dr (or anyone else).

In fact, I only admitted it after I quit. Amazing.