Notices

So, life happened...

Old 01-14-2013, 11:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Better when never is never

So, life happened...

I woke up this morning to day 3 without a drink and was doing well. Then I checked my work email and had a major setback and headache occur with my job. It relates to a prolonged problem area that I thought had been worked out. Without going into details, this will create major problems that likely can no longer be resolved. That said...

I knew exactly what was going to happen and before I knew it, the thought of "**** it all, let's get drunk" entered my head.

However, having stayed involved here and adopting experiences you all have shared, instead of drinking I decided to just experience the feeling and ride it out. I considered what would drinking make better (nothing). I reminded myself that the feeling would soon fade and that it was only my alcoholism talking to me, not the true me. I read some literature and did some exercise. I reviewed the reasons I decided to quit drinking, both the bad things that happened before and the goals I want to achieve. And, now I am here, life happened, but the urge has passed and I am still sober. Thanks to everyone for being here and sharing your experiences.
Old 01-14-2013, 11:58 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

God works through people.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 01-14-2013, 12:03 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I still remember the first time I didn't drink over something - I survived and the crisis resolved - that was a genuine revelation to me

way to go Jazzfish

D
Old 01-14-2013, 12:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Good for you!
Old 01-14-2013, 12:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Good job! You know, I've been sober four and a half years, but I well remember that dealing with heavy emotions was the biggest adjustment for me. On day four of my sobriety I had a sewer back up into my basement COMPLETELY flooding it. At the end of the day, my neighbor (who had been helping me wade through the crap--literally--for hours) showed up at my door with a cold beer for me. I said, "No thanks." Or somebody said it--it sure didn't sound like ME.

Getting through those first few panic-inducing crises without picking up a drink was a challenge, but so worth it in terms of learning to deal with life on life's terms--sober. Good for you for focusing on the solution--and I'm not talking about the solution to the work problem. Whatever the fallout from that, you can deal with it more effectively sober.

Congrats--you just cleared a major hurdle.
Old 01-14-2013, 12:13 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

That sounds great! Thanks for sharing.
Old 01-14-2013, 12:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Fellow Traveler and Seeker

That is great to hear. Made my day!
Old 01-14-2013, 12:54 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Sie

Fantastic... You have attained another level in your sobriety and wisdon.

Well done you.

Oh, and can I just add that you should use this difficult tine to remind yourself that you got through something major wihout picking up. This means that you can always overcome something tough in future..
Old 01-14-2013, 05:24 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Jazzfish, that's how it's done. I like it. I like it alot.
Old 01-14-2013, 05:31 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Nice, Jazzfish, very nice. This is the sort of thinking that can lead to great things, namely, YOU! Congratulations on your achievement and your new understanding.
Old 01-14-2013, 06:26 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Congratulations that is great to hear.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:23 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jazzfish View Post
I woke up this morning to day 3 without a drink and was doing well. Then I checked my work email and had a major setback and headache occur with my job. It relates to a prolonged problem area that I thought had been worked out. Without going into details, this will create major problems that likely can no longer be resolved. That said...

I knew exactly what was going to happen and before I knew it, the thought of "**** it all, let's get drunk" entered my head.

However, having stayed involved here and adopting experiences you all have shared, instead of drinking I decided to just experience the feeling and ride it out. I considered what would drinking make better (nothing). I reminded myself that the feeling would soon fade and that it was only my alcoholism talking to me, not the true me. I read some literature and did some exercise. I reviewed the reasons I decided to quit drinking, both the bad things that happened before and the goals I want to achieve. And, now I am here, life happened, but the urge has passed and I am still sober. Thanks to everyone for being here and sharing your experiences.
That is such a HUGE step, Thank You for posting ...I WANT it!!!

It gives me HOPE....:ghug3