Notices

Whats happening to my mind and body?

Old 04-21-2004, 05:29 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Paused

Unhappy Whats happening to my mind and body?

hi, maybe Ill get around to another intro post, I was one of the lost ones when the server was down a while back, so here I am again, finally, so hi I hope to meet everyone in time..
I stopped drinking. After a third dwi, and living my life in circles the last 5 years, making the same mistakes, countless blackouts, physical and mental damage etc etc ETC, I finally became honest, admitted (after years of thinking, not admitting) that I have a problem drinking. Its been 2 and a half weeks since my last drink.
I was wondering if im going to feel, or if what im feeling is different due to the change. I didnt drink everyday, maybe (3-)4-5 times a week, in copious amounts, averaging about a third+ of the day. most sometimes to the point of passing out. Im assuming I may feel a slight change, my body and brain is used to having that alcohol in its system, but this is all new to me, I dont know what im in for.
Ive been feeling different. Im *extremely* fatigued. Im very spacey, I feel "removed" (if anyone is familar with the aniexty disorder, depersonalization, it feels like that) my mind and body dont feel like they are working on the same plane. and of course sleeping is difficult, but my major problem is that im exhusted, tired, dragging all day. Headaches seem to come on more easily. And I am more than usual irratable. (i figure this is true, I feel like im on edge, about stupid little things all day. thats exhusting in itself!)
I also have been eating more than usual, more like all day, when im not hungry. I figure im making up for something missing, eating in excess, is also a concern.
So thats pretty much my question, I wonder if anyone else or knows of these things, or others happening to your body when alcohol is no longer present, so abruptly at that. I wish I didnt feel like this, so I guess my first bet is to realize and understand what is going on better.
thanks all, I hope you have some input for me..
~sensi
Old 04-21-2004, 06:07 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Re: Whats happening to my mind and body?

Hi Sensi and welcome to SR!

Congratulations on your 2 1/2 weeks ! Thats an awesome effort !

I felt exactly as you do when I stopped drinking , and it has taken several months for me to feel anywhere near " together" lol Drinking plenty of fluids will help with the headaches , ( 2-3 litres ) p0er day is good . Also multivitamin tabs are helpful, especially vitamin B.

It would probably be a good idea to go to your Doc, and explain to him what you are doing, as his support will be invaluable .

have you looked at any of the recovery programes ? personally , I chose AA, and it has quite simply saved my life , but there are others , and I am sure others will be by to encourage you and offer advice

I look forward to getting to know you
Keep posting

HUGX
Lee
Old 04-21-2004, 02:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

hello sensi
cograts on the sober time!! I too, do AA [and NA] i really needed that support system. Like Lee, it saved my life.
I did lots of fruit juice- helps w/ the sugar replacement. I didn't sleep well for a few months. I felt that disconnect feeling but only for a few weeks. It did however take me over a year to feel that my mental fog had finally cleared!! I was edgy/irritable for several months. All these symptoms have left me. I sleep like a baby now- got enough tools of the program so that i know what serenity feels like. I do a lot of caffeine - i have to keep up mentally and physically on my job sites with men half my age. Whoops- in danger of babbling on and on here!
keep coming back!!
mackat
Old 04-22-2004, 05:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Relax this is all normal it will pass u will feel better Trust me!! I nagged the hell out of this board asking question becasue i was feeling just like u. If you want look a my thread it should be just a few below this one. Looking for answers, u might find the answers to a lot of your question.

regards

steve
Old 05-17-2004, 11:42 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

LMAO!! I was looking at some of the old post an stumbled on this one. Reading it reminded me on what is going on in my head 90% of the time. So I figured I would respond. SIGH!!! Yup I do believe my brain is gone, as you can see this is my SECOND response. I was wondering have you been to the DOCTOR yet? I am going on the 4th to see what is up with me. IF you went did they find anything? Please let me know I am in the same hell you are right now.

Steve