Notices

Afraid of flying

Old 01-11-2013, 11:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Afraid of flying

Yup, I'm afraid of flying. My plane takes off tomorrow at 6:pm and I have been worrying about it all day today. Usually I drink several beers before boarding. However I have been sober since 1/1/13 and I don't want to mess up my sobriety.
Old 01-12-2013, 12:30 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I know exactly what you mean. I have a couple of flying tips. Can you get some lavender oil and one of those flight pillows? Put it on and rest your neck it during the flight - makes it a lot better. Get a really trashy magazine to read during takeoff and landing. Preferably something that makes you laugh. What about one of those eye patches and some ear plugs? That helps for me. Take your shoes off when you can and take a pair of bedroom slippers with you if it's going to be a long flight. Do they let you take liquids on the plane? If so, a bottle of some exotic tasty juice is a nice way to start things off, perhaps with a packet of nuts or something to stop you feeling hungry. Long flight? Meals can be stressful on board. You might want to have a slap up dinner at the airport before you go.

Weird thing is, I had a nightmare about missing a plane because I was drunk last night. Fortunately it was only a bad dream but it underlines a real fear I have about air travel.

But like most problems, there are ways around if you pick up a few tools to deal with it.
Old 01-12-2013, 03:46 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I just saw on the news the other day ago that, worldwide, there are 93,000 flights a day every single day. I think they said that there were zero fatalities in 2012. Seriously, those numbers put in perspective how safe it is to fly. Good luck and I'm glad you don't plan on messing up your new sobriety over this fear.
Old 01-12-2013, 05:49 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Every year thousands of passengers are refused boarding and removed from aircraft for being inebriated. I used to be one and there is nothing more disconcerting than someone on the plane who is loud and drunk and quarreling with the crew. Safety risk. I used to be that risk.
I commute to work by plane on commercial and grateful for some very tough laws around alcohol consumption and screening passengers prior boarding.
I clear my mind and focus on my breathing when I'm anxious. Fear, after resentment is enemy number one to us drunks.
Old 01-12-2013, 12:05 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I was watching an air disaster movie series last night, one was about a 767 that was making an emergency landing. One of the interviewed passengers said "I had a couple drinks to relax myself, but once they declared an emergency, I really wished I hadn't. I knew it was going to take me a few seconds longer to get out of the plane, and that could make a life or death difference."

End of the story, the plane lands safely everyone survives, and the same plane is flying a couple weeks later. It really is the safest way to travel.
Old 01-12-2013, 08:46 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

gettin back

Trying so hard to stay strong
Old 01-12-2013, 08:51 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Trudger of Happy Destiny

I like the tips on distracting yourself during the flight. Good stuff.