Notices

Where to make sober friends...

Old 01-09-2013, 11:12 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Where to make sober friends...

I don't know if I'm posting this in the right place, so please bear with me : )

My husband and I live in Southern CA and our in our early 30's. He is a binge-drinker, born and raised in the UK. He just attended his first SMART meeting last night. He said he felt a connection to everyone because they have all experienced negative consequences from using alcohol/drugs, and he will continue to go, BUT everyone there is much older and has a problem to the point where they are in a daily struggle and need a sponsor, etc.

He will go six months, sometimes a year, without touching a drop. We don't have alcohol in the house, and when someone comes over and brings alcohol, he doesn't touch it. It's not really an issue in our day-to-day lives. It's more like when certain social occasions arise and it's just him and other guy friends and they drink, he finds it hard to say no. The problem is, on the occasions he DOES drink, it always ends badly. Like, drunk in public or DUI badly.

We recently moved back to LA, and he would really like to make friends who are sober and don't center everything around alcohol. I would too. But we don't know where to start. I wish he could meet another Brit who is sober, because I don't think we've met a single one yet or if they even exist (JK).

Does anyone have any suggestions? He's terrible at typing and the Internet, but he has looked on Meetup.com and a few other places.
Old 01-09-2013, 12:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Most of my friends are AA members.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 01-09-2013, 12:26 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

The short answer;

'Everywhere you find people.'
Old 01-09-2013, 12:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
~sb

I hadn't realized SMART utilized sponsors.

Young People in AA exists. You can do a search for those meetings.