Notices

Vacation and avoiding alcohol

Old 01-09-2013, 08:33 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Vacation and avoiding alcohol

Hi all,

So I managed Christmas and New Years with no slip ups, now another test is going to shortly begin.

I am going on vacation from Friday and while I definitely don't intend drinking it is going to be difficult.
I have had the odd thought/image of me sitting on the balcony having an ice cold beer while watching the sunset over the ocean.

I know it's just that voice again, and while I might even be able to have 1 or 2 during the vacation the problem will be once I get back will then probably start rationalizing that I managed during the vacation so why can't I moderate again. I know that will lead to another binge eventually. Maybe not on vacation or even next month but eventually.

Anyway, just wanted to put into words my temptations for my vacation so when/if I get the urge to drink I can come back and read my post perhaps and just put it down again.

It's good to know this site is always here so will probably pop in from time to time if the urge to drink starts.

My aim is to have a totally alcohol free vacation, haven't had one of those in over 15 years.

Thanks for listening everyone, and hope to post here once back home that I have succeeded with no alcohol.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:43 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I completely know how you feel. If I go stay a few days at a resort or a hotel, I feel like I want to have a drink and enjoy my time away from home. I've been sober for 22 days today. I know that if I was going on vacation, I would probably cave and say "Oh I'll just have a couple drinks and stop when I'm not here" but instead of having a few drinks, I'd get blitz drunk and do it every night that I'm there. I would then consider it again when I get home and the cycle is just vicious. It's very hard to say no after you've been binging unless your willpower is very strong. I would say do your best to think about why you've been sober this long and your plans for the future to stay sober.
Old 01-09-2013, 01:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I guess you've decided you're going, so I won't try and talk you out of it, tho I do think sometimes we try to bit off more than we can chew too soon.

I'm not sure if you're an AA person or not, but most areas of the world have AA meetings - it's something to consider if you feel you resolve weakening?

D
Old 01-09-2013, 02:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Dee,

The trip was booked and paid for many months ago and the family has been looking so forward to it. Don't think it will be the best for my familylife to cancel. (Not saying my sobriety isn't as important as being sober as also been excellent for familylife)

I have looked into AA in our area and have been waiting for the whole holiday season to come to an end and my this vacation before deciding if it's the best program for me.
One of the drawbacks in our area seems to be that it looks like there is only one meeting a week.

I have been following the basic principle of one day at a time though and I will be applying this principle on holiday too.

It's just the media and romantic side of alcohol that is popping into my head now and again (that picture perfect beach setting in ads where the drink is always in the advert to complete the scene), probably because I am going to be in a different setting and my mind has always associated a holiday with some (lots) of drinks. One day at a time though in any setting is still valid and can be done.

@ Dean, it's exactly that vicious cycle that has me concerned. And you right if I keep my mind focused on the future and the reasons why I gave up in the first place I can stick to the one day at a time.
Congrats on the 22 days.
Old 01-09-2013, 02:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I have looked into AA in our area and have been waiting for the whole holiday season to come to an end and my this vacation before deciding if it's the best program for me.
I'm not in AA either, but I'm pretty sure you can go to a meeting without having to sign up for a lifetime commitment

If you're apprehensive I think it's something to consider

D
Old 01-09-2013, 08:53 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Fellow Traveler and Seeker

Romantic notions certainly play up to many of us. It's just another tool in the arsenal of alcoholism. It's not the media and a glossy travel pamphlet that makes us want to drink, it's the alcoholism. Those are just ways to spirit us back into a false reality where things are better with a glass of wine or a beer. It's fantasy, and you are looking at it in a real way. That is how many of us lived our lives.

Check out a meeting before you head out. Check out meetings while you're there. There is lots to do on vacation other than drinking...and I found that the trips I have gone on since recovering, is that I enjoyed them way more than all the times I was drinking!
Old 01-09-2013, 09:28 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I was in Mexico for 3 weeks recently.
Did not drink at all,booze is everywhere and super cheap.
I went to meetings and read some recovery stuff.
Read some books(not just recovery)it can keep your mind occupied.

Enjoy your vacation.
Old 01-09-2013, 09:49 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Learning to LIve

Hi
I am half way thru my first sober camping trip in my adult life. It is challenging. Take a good book. Make sure you alway have a supply of soft drink. Cheers
Enjoy your holiday.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:17 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi,
I got to 45 days last year and went on holiday. I had no intention to drink,never had many cravings and felt strong in my sobriety. The first night on hols I was relaxed and thought 'oh one or 2 won't do any harm, I'll start again after hols.' That never happened of course,it was a 4 month stint of every night drinking till I quit again in Dec. Please don't kid yourself it will just be holiday drinking. At least you recognize your AV is trying to persuade you to drink on hols.That's part of the battle. I wasn't expecting it,didn't recognize it and couldn't deal with it. Have a great holiday
Old 01-10-2013, 01:20 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Perhaps a few plans to do some things that are much more pleasant to do without a rotten throbbing hangover, for example;

Early morning scenic walks while watching the sun rise
Offer to drive your friends/family to special surprise places (and back!)
Communal massages, spas, tickles... get that natural high

... and check into SR occasionally
Old 01-10-2013, 01:49 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

In 2012 I did two sober holidays, one was all inclusive.

The first I watched my mother get wasted and sloppy every night and it put me off.

The second I saw a couple who sat at the same table every single day from when the bar opened to when it shut at midnight. It was super disgusting. Their table was piled high with drinks, empty glasses and over lowing ash trays. They both looked bloated and unhealthy. It was enough to put me off for life.

It was a nice feeling getting some sun, some rest, a bit of exercise in the pool and some healthy food. Not going home a hungover, fat bloated mess.

On each holiday, I never told myself I couldn't drink.
I said I could drink whenever I wanted, I just chose not to.
I did not see the point of just having one.

I think I enjoyed both holidays all the more for not drinking.
Old 01-10-2013, 02:08 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by paul99 View Post
Romantic notions certainly play up to many of us. It's just another tool in the arsenal of alcoholism. It's not the media and a glossy travel pamphlet that makes us want to drink, it's the alcoholism.

Thanks for giving me that perspective of looking at it Paul. You are of course 100% correct. It's not the pamphlet that is the issue or the advertising. Many other people would look at the same pamphlet and see themselves having a great trip in the beautiful surroundings. I however look at that pamphlet and see only the drink on the pamphlet.
Old 01-10-2013, 02:17 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AAaaron View Post
Read some books(not just recovery)it can keep your mind occupied.
Originally Posted by LSC1 View Post
. Take a good book.
I have always actually enjoyed reading, but I must admit it did fall away over the last few years.

I have already packed a few books that I have been looking forward to read.
Old 01-10-2013, 02:21 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ReadyAtLast View Post
'oh one or 2 won't do any harm, I'll start again after hols.'

It always starts with that one. Thats why I don't even want to entertain the idea that one or two will be fine.

Also I am not much more ahead of your sober days at the time of your holiday. Thanks for confirming that even though it's holiday time one will lead to the next struggle.
Old 01-10-2013, 02:29 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Eseilenna View Post

Early morning scenic walks while watching the sun rise
That sounds like a great idea and of course without the booze I will be able to wake up in time to do this.
Old 01-10-2013, 02:36 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sasha4 View Post

The second I saw a couple who sat at the same table every single day from when the bar opened to when it shut at midnight. It was super disgusting. Their table was piled high with drinks, empty glasses and over lowing ash trays. They both looked bloated and unhealthy. It was enough to put me off for life.

This sounds like such a terrible way to spend our supposedly time to relax and unwind. And they must have gone home feeling almost worse than when they arrived. Your description of it and the mental image is enough to put me off too.

That being said, I too have spent many hours myself in bars during a time away from home. Definitely don't want to do that this time around.
Old 01-10-2013, 02:41 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for the good time wishes without alcohol.

Your encouragement is as always inspiring.

Old 01-10-2013, 03:44 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hi Same,

Glad you started this thread as I'm going on holidays too in 10 days and got use some insights!

I'm only on Day 7 and so far it's been easy, but I know that is because my AV is waiting in the long grass for this upcoming trip and, after the excesses of christmas, it is probably temporarily satiated.

To be honest I'm nervous about it, I'm scared that my commitment to sobriety will evaporate in the spirit of being on vacation. The only way I can try to counteract it is to approach it as a test, if I can spend three weeks on holiday without drinking then I will have proved something huge to myself. I'm gonna enjoy the beach, and go swimming, walking, cycling in the sun.

We can do it!