Notices

Withdrawing.... Ugh!

Old 01-07-2013, 08:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Withdrawing.... Ugh!

Well, I'm about 26 hours since my last drink. I don't really have the shakes at all. Just still feel horrible. Like my body feels like jello. Especially my legs. Has anyone else felt like this while withdrawing? I called a hospital that does detox but I feel like it Would be me wasting my money. But I am also afraid to go to sleep because I don't want to die! Any responses would be greatly appreciated. Maybe ease my mind a bit.
Old 01-07-2013, 08:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You shouldn't rely on us for medical advice, but we can provide our experiences. How much did you drink before you quit? I had all kinds of funky symptoms, most commonly anxiousness, quick little zaps and twitches, and insomnia. All went away fairly quickly.
Old 01-07-2013, 08:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I went about 5 days in a row drinking close to a fifth of vodka. I just don't know if I should go to the hospital. I've been through this before, and toughed it out. It's just scary sometimes.
Old 01-07-2013, 08:45 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I have had uncontrollable anxiety every time I have gone through withdrawls, literally wave after wave of full blown, out of mind and body panic attacks. Luckily, a doctor can help you through it with assistance from some medications, and, after you make it through the first time, you never have to do it again, but that is up to you and finding your road to recovery.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:36 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

When I have panic attacks on withdrawal I lay down, close my eyes, try to breath at a normal rhythm (not too fast or slow), count at least to 10... then evaluate if I feel that medical help is needed. I found the most important for me when I have withdrawal is to keep calm, rational, and try to control any signs of panic or anxiety. Sometimes putting a movie on or something is better than trying to fall asleep if you are nervous. If your anxiety gets too bad though... another sign to call a hospital.
Last time I spent my first day(and night) in bed reading these forums on my cellphone. 1. Great people, lots of support, and keeps my mind in a positive mood. 2. The phone is in my hand in case I feel like I need to make a SOS call.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:50 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by terrazinaa View Post
Last time I spent my first day(and night) in bed reading these forums on my cellphone. 1. Great people, lots of support, and keeps my mind in a positive mood. 2. The phone is in my hand in case I feel like I need to make a SOS call.
Heh, amazing, I'm doing that exact thing right now, as I do every night that I need some support or inspiration before bed.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:00 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

That's exactly what I'm doing too... Haha! My husband doesn't think I need to go to the hospital... Says this is how I am everytime and I'll be ok in a couple days. I think the anxiety just gets so bad at night.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:12 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

good luck,, hope you stay sober
Old 01-07-2013, 11:55 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Maybe take it minute by minute or hour by hour. You can always get meds if it becomes unbearable - use that thought as a safety net?

I'm on day 5. Day 1 to 3 was terrible for cravings, especially late afternoon when 'reward time' kicked in.

Pull through, try your best.

C.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:39 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

How are you doing?
Old 01-14-2013, 10:07 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I am actually doing really awesome! 8 days today and I feel so much better! It took me until about day 5 to actually feel a little bit normal. Now I feel awesome and I'm not looking back. Thank you all for all the replies and advice! Very much appreciated!
Old 01-15-2013, 07:34 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thats great! Keep going! I made it about 20 hours before I started dryheaving/shaking/chills/sweats/cramps. Happened about 2 am this morning. 3 shots of vodka and everything stopped. I slept about 5 hours. Woke up and started eating everything in sight, even chocolate cake. Sweets help, even molasses. I am trying, but I cannot afford inpatient detox/medical care. I am just gonna pray and taper off till I stop getting sick. Still on the same fifth since Saturday, so thats good. I used to drink a fifth a day. Good luck!
Old 01-15-2013, 09:53 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

keep going but learn from this and let it be your last withdrawl.
each time its worse