Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

I don't think I need my blood pressure med anymore.

Notices

Old 01-07-2013, 04:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Well started detox Dec 19/12 lasted for 10 days. I'am doing much better now and taking camperal and still sober 1/7/13 having cravings some days but there manegeable.OK I'am 27 I had to take blood pressure med problably due to make heavy drinking.It's been like 3 weeks sober not a drop but I feel like now I don't need blood pressure med anymore I get dizzy sidefects got worst or some i didn't have intill now like sexual dysfunction,fainty like, weakness some and just don't feel right but no chest pains.Feel like my blood pressure is to low from the blood pressure med. Is it possible my blood pressure lowered from not drinking and blood pressure med is just making it to low and not needed?I'am going to call my DR tommarow and see him to get this figured out.
Old 01-07-2013, 04:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

yep - see your Dr first I reckon

D
Old 01-07-2013, 05:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
zjw

yep pretty common check with your doctor
Old 01-07-2013, 05:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

I agree with the others. See your Doctor and tell him all the symptoms you are having. When I started on Paxil my doctor wanted to see me everyweek to make sure I had the proper dosage.
Old 01-07-2013, 06:00 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I am also 27, and in just 2 weeks without drinking my BP has gone down from 145/95 to consistently mid 130s over low 80s- I essentially went from mild hypertension (at 27!!!!) to slightly high normal so the effect alcohol has can be profound.

I don't think this counts as medical advise BTW plus you said you are going to your doc tomorrow so that is good but don't be surprised to see a pretty good improvement.
Old 01-07-2013, 06:37 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I am in the exact same boat as you. I'm 99.9% certain it was the alcohol causing my high BP, and I am so glad that I will be done with them (meds) soon (once I talk to the doc)...
Old 01-07-2013, 08:31 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Alcohol for sure raises your blood pressure. You can check it yourself if you have a home meter, if not, most local pharmacies and grocery stores have one you can check it for free.

If it's reading in a normal range off the pills, or low while you are on them, you likely will not need them anymore.
Old 01-07-2013, 08:45 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

my BP drop about 10 points also. i am not taking any medication for it. but i would see your doctor, you might not need it any more or need an adjustment.
Old 01-08-2013, 05:09 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

A blood pressure checking machine costs as little as 30 dollars. Anyone with high blood pressure should have one. It can change through out the day,and your doctor can only check it when you visit,and you will be nervous.
I took BP medicine for several years. I was kind of disappointed when I quit drinking and it didn't come down right away. But after a couple years of not drinking it DID come down. I havn't taken medicine in 2 or 3 years.
You can't go by how you feel when it comes to blood pressure. the only way to check it is with a machine. If you don't want to spend the 30 dollars,Walmart,and most drug stores have machines set up where you can walk in at your convienience and check it for free.
Old 01-09-2013, 08:17 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Wil

I went from around 145/95 a year ago to 120/78 recently. All I did was quit drinking and I still eat a lot of salt. Alcohol really messes up blood pressure. Oh, and I don't sweat much anymore. I could wear socks two days in a row if I really wanted to. Now that's a reason right there to quit drinking!