Notices

Time to change

Old 01-07-2013, 02:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Time to change

Hello all. New here...first post. Let me start by saying I've had addiction issues since I was 15, now I'm 26. Was sent to rehab due to a nasty speed addiction 6 years ago. Been clean from that drug ever since. But I replaced it with alcohol. Everything started off cool..never really had any problems. Then came the dui's and drunk in public arrests a couple years ago. Mind you I have a full time job, do not drink during the work week but I can not help myself on the weekends. I just get wasted from the time I wake up on Saturday until the time I go to bed Sunday and end up going to work hung over every. Single. Monday. I recently got married and had a daughter. It's now to the point me and my family never do anything because I'm **** faced drunk all weekend. I end up getting angry and breaking windows and my wife has been threatening to leave me. I don't understand how I can have my act together perfectly during the week but once the weekend starts I'm a train wreck. I am ruining my marriage and family life and need some help.
Old 01-07-2013, 03:11 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
dude in recovery

Welcome.
Wish you the best with the family and changing your life.
I know that a lot of my daily drinking was due to anger\resentment at myself, but early on, my weekend-only drinking was done just because ... that's what I thought most people did. I never got any DUIs, heck I had never gotten into any trouble with the law over drinking nor drugs, but they sure did hamper my life.
Old 01-07-2013, 03:29 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mattcuv15 View Post
Hello all. New here...first post. Let me start by saying I've had addiction issues since I was 15, now I'm 26. Was sent to rehab due to a nasty speed addiction 6 years ago. Been clean from that drug ever since. But I replaced it with alcohol. Everything started off cool..never really had any problems. Then came the dui's and drunk in public arrests a couple years ago. Mind you I have a full time job, do not drink during the work week but I can not help myself on the weekends. I just get wasted from the time I wake up on Saturday until the time I go to bed Sunday and end up going to work hung over every. Single. Monday. I recently got married and had a daughter. It's now to the point me and my family never do anything because I'm **** faced drunk all weekend. I end up getting angry and breaking windows and my wife has been threatening to leave me. I don't understand how I can have my act together perfectly during the week but once the weekend starts I'm a train wreck. I am ruining my marriage and family life and need some help.
Check out the January newcomers group. There's lots of us in this together.
Old 01-07-2013, 04:52 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Sober during the week...fine, all good. Drinking the weekend away...train wreck.

"I don't understand how I can have my act together perfectly during the week but once the weekend starts I'm a train wreck."

I'm going to guess it's the alcohol that makes the difference. If you can make a decision and stay stopped then you've solved this dilemma and your drinking-related problems will soon disappear and no longer effect you.

If you cannot stay stopped then making the efforts needed to get sufficient help for this problem is indicated. And any delay or final blowout to end all blowouts is likely to cost you dearly.

After we get to a point our alternatives become narrowed down. To go on with the things that should have mattered to me more and have a chance at a good life I needed to begin and remain in a sober life at about your age.

When my child grew he was faced with that choice too and made the right one long ago and much earlier than I. Perhaps the decisions you make now will be of great help to your daughter someday. It's never only about ourselves.
Old 01-08-2013, 06:14 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Fellow Traveler and Seeker

I would wonder what your wife, friends and co-workers would think of your "perfect" weeks, while you are hungover and trying to salvage your weekend behaviors. And even if your behavior was short of saintly Monday to Friday, I can imagine it's difficult to live with someone who is great sometimes and breaking stuff the next. Unpredictable. My wife lived like that with me our whole marriage - I don't know how, to be honest. You might be trying to compartmentalize your drinking and non-drinking lives, but they are enmeshed. The proof is in where your life is going - your wife wants to leave you, the arrests, the physical and emotional damage strewn about. And you're here.

You don't have to a daily drinker to be an alcoholic. And the notion of a "weekend warrior" being exempt has to be smashed. Check out a program of recovery. I did, and have kept my family, which to me was out of my life after my arrest and detox. Your life doesn't have to be this way any more.