Notices

Concern about drinking

Old 01-03-2013, 11:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Concern about drinking

Hi guys this is my first post on this forum and I have a concern about drinking. I am 19 years old and taking an extra year in highschool because i did extremely poorly in grade 11 and I want to make up those grades. In grade 11 I was addicted to injecting heroin for a year but after help from many amazing people around me I quit and have been clean for over a year.

I used to be a very good person and would never think of taking substances but I made friends with the wrong people and it made me feel better for once despite some bad emotional issues I have. Anyways, I am currently in my extra year and have been on Christmas break. When I was doing drugs I was only doing heroin and because I never had a second thought about drinking before my addiction I actually got drunk for the first time this year when I turned legal (I am in Ontario Canada). I wasnt a big fan of drinking but during this break I have been in the holiday spirit but have also been drinking every day. I don't get black out drunk but I do get intoxicated, though I am still coherent. I have been drinking in the evening, but only beer. I feel that I want to have fun every day and drink again.

Though when I work I never drink that day (I work around 4 hour shifts sometimes in the evening until the beer store closes) unless I already have beer saved for after I work. I know how easy it was to slip in to addiction and was wondering if I should be concerned?

I know many here must be experienced in seeing if someone should be worried and if I was to vague and you need for information just let me know. I get drunk of 4 beers because I am still fairly new to drinking.
Old 01-03-2013, 11:29 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Welcome to SR. Lot's of addicts turn from one drug to another.

I had to learn the hard way. Quit drugs but continued to drink because alcohol wasn't my problem...only to find out it really was my problem. And it lead to a drug relapse.

To me, clean and sober means just that. No drugs, no drink.
Old 01-03-2013, 12:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Vendettent

My story is much like Carl's - I quit drugs only to wind up an alcoholic - all I really did was change my poison...

If I was you, I would definitely take a step back, at least.

Have you tried not drinking?

D
Old 01-03-2013, 12:38 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

"I know how easy it was to slip in to addiction and was wondering if I should be concerned?"

Yes.

"I used to be a very good person..."

Addiction doesn't make you a bad person, just an addicted person. Sometimes what we do to poison ourselves is bad (hiding booze, taking things that don't belong to us to feed our addiction, etc) but again, it's the disease, not the person.

I hope you decide to quit drinking. One compulsion should not replace another and for many it does. Best of luck to you.