Notices

Baffling

Old 01-04-2013, 06:39 AM
  # 101 (permalink)  

I'm done with this thread...You keep telling suffering alcoholics they can do it on their own...I'll continue being grateful for finding a solution for this one that couldn't.
Old 01-04-2013, 07:00 AM
  # 102 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Originally Posted by ru12 View Post
Well it takes all kinds.

For me, I choose not to drink. My sobriety has nothing to do with my spirituality and I like it that way. My spirituality is a separate issue from me poisoning myself with alcohol.

To the New Comers that may happen upon this thread: there are many ways to get sober and don't let anyone tell you different. Be careful not to accept someone else's experience for truth (including mine).
Experience is the real deal, and I think being cautious is a smart way forward. At some point though, experience as offered, is either accepted as being truthful, or it isn't, and we move on.

The examining of the veracity of claims of experiences is more an art then a science, imo, when our experiences are being so much under examination. Personalities come into play, and so on, making exact determinations impractical.

No matter.

Recovery and being recovered is an intensely personal experience, and so, there will always be times of reflecting on our own, and on others who share their experiences.

Quitting and staying quit is at once a learned event, and as well a process moving forward to gain a quality of life. It takes time, effort, and willingness for us to learn what is what.

FWIW, I totally agree spirituality is not a requirement to be able to quit and enjoy a quality life free from alcohol and drugs.

Many want and need spirituality, and many do not. It really is up to the person themselves, imo. For me, being spiritual works.
Old 01-04-2013, 07:01 AM
  # 103 (permalink)  
High on Life

Originally Posted by Sapling View Post
I'm done with this thread...You keep telling suffering alcoholics they can do it on their own...I'll continue being grateful for finding a solution for this one that couldn't.
As long as you find something that works for you, that's all that was ever important. Wouldn't it be great if you had other solutions to fall back on though? Why settle for one answer? This is not a multiple choice test, this is life, it relies on open ended answers in order for you to be successful. Sobriety is a journey, not a destination. You don't just arrive and it's all over. Look at the guy in OP's post, after 34 yrs he drank, because a rogue bottle of Vodka jumped him at a party. Be open to new ideas and new ways of doing things.

Originally Posted by yeahgr8 View Post
Why do people relapse after so long, simply put because they are just taking a break between sessions, that's it...how do you know if you are taking a break between sessions....i'd love to hear an answer to that:-)
Taking a break between sessions? I don't take a break between sessions, because recovery is my life and my life is recovery. I have adapted it as a way of living. How then could I take a break if it is something that I embody? When I attended AA, that's the way my life looked, like a series of sessions. Everything that I was doing could be defined as working or not working on my recovery. If I didn't go to to a meeting, work the steps, read the Big Book, or call my sponsor it looked like I was taking a break. I don't live like that anymore, there are no breaks in recovery.
Old 01-04-2013, 07:30 AM
  # 104 (permalink)  

There are no breaks in recovery.

Interesting for me to read that just now, I just finished a moderately vigorous run and while at a point in my run when I was fatigued, my mind created a thought that running was now a part of my recovery.

I was at a neighbours yesterday and he offered me a beer, instead of just saying no thanks, I let him know I don't drink anymore.

My recovery is my life and my life is my recovery.

No breaks for me and no worries about having a crisis of spirituality that will result in me drinking
Old 01-04-2013, 07:43 AM
  # 105 (permalink)  
High on Life

Originally Posted by Xune View Post
There are no breaks in recovery.

Interesting for me to read that just now, I just finished a moderately vigorous run and while at a point in my run when I was fatigued, my mind created a thought that running was now a part of my recovery.
Running is definitely a part of my recovery.

There is a guy by the name of Todd Crandell who has been sober for about 20 years. He uses endurance events suchs as Iron Mans, marathons, and other extreme sports to stay sober. His program is Racing for Recovery. Google it!
Old 01-04-2013, 08:00 AM
  # 106 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by yeahgr8
Why do people relapse after so long, simply put because they are just taking a break between sessions, that's it...how do you know if you are taking a break between sessions....i'd love to hear an answer to that:-)

yeah, theres some that are just taking a break. not me.

how do i know im not taking a break? my past is the most valuable posession i have. i remember the gloom, dispair, and misery. i remember feeling useless,worthless,helpless, and hopeless. i remember being suicidal. i remember being homocidal. i remember the damage i left in my wake. i remember existing for alcohol.
i also know what i have been granted in recovery. nothing negative. i know in my heart all it will take to get everything back that i had when i was drinking is one drink.i will pick up like i never stopped and it will get worse.
Old 01-04-2013, 08:16 AM
  # 107 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TheEnd View Post
Running is definitely a part of my recovery.

There is a guy by the name of Todd Crandell who has been sober for about 20 years. He uses endurance events suchs as Iron Mans, marathons, and other extreme sports to stay sober. His program is Racing for Recovery. Google it!

I especially like the sterling silver charm offered complete with leather strap. At only $175 he's likely to move quite a few of them.

It's going to take some time to go through all 13 of his different merchandising categories, but I'm always interested in people doing things that support others efforts in finding recovery and at the same time to acheive a stylish look while out there running a lot.

Would it be ok to call attention to his store on other recovery sites?
Old 01-04-2013, 08:32 AM
  # 108 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post
my past is the most valuable posession i have. i remember the gloom, dispair, and misery. i remember feeling useless,worthless,helpless, and hopeless... i also know what i have been granted in recovery.
Yeah, me too. Great post. I can totally relate to all of that.
Old 01-04-2013, 04:57 PM
  # 109 (permalink)  

Great posts!

For me on the many breaks I took ranging from a day to a year in my active alcoholism I can remember thinking about drinking, this could be watching someone drinking a beer and thinking yeah I don't do that anymore all power to me or walking down the supermarket alcohol isle thinking phew glad I don't do that anymore etc etc...

Now there is nothing, no thinking back, no need to think through anything, no need to remind myself why I don't drink etc...I just don't drink it's no big deal to me or anyone else on the planet. That's a very cool place to be for a drunk IMO audits thanks. To the steps of AA, an addiction counsellor, family, friends, me and mostly due to believing now in a power in the universe greater than me!

Pretty cool place to be:-)
Old 01-04-2013, 07:06 PM
  # 110 (permalink)  

Seems like the guy in OP's story missed STEP 1.
Old 01-05-2013, 03:46 AM
  # 111 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Originally Posted by yeahgr8 View Post
Now there is nothing, no thinking back, no need to think through anything, no need to remind myself why I don't drink etc...I just don't drink it's no big deal to me or anyone else on the planet. That's a very cool place to be for a drunk IMO audits thanks. To the steps of AA, an addiction counsellor, family, friends, me and mostly due to believing now in a power in the universe greater than me!

Pretty cool place to be:-)
I agree! I got to the same place mostly on my own, with helpful support along the way from family, friends and SR. Let's be grateful that we got here, regardless of the method(s).