Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

I used to be an alcoholic and I want to drink again

Notices

I used to be an alcoholic and I want to drink again

Old 12-31-2012, 06:46 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by iwantbliss
.... so if I decide to have a drink tonight, will I wake up with any physical withdrawal effects tomorrow or any anxiety or anything like that?
If you decide to have A drink tonight and stick at a drink, you will not wake up with withdrawal effects, but you may have anxiety if you crave for a second and if you do crave for a second you may still be an alcoholic.

Bottom line for me is I can't have a drink without having a second, third, fourth and so on, so I will wake up with withdrawal effects after a drink.
Old 12-31-2012, 08:41 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  
Trudger of Happy Destiny

Everyone is different. No one really knows what's going to happen to a person physically if they pick up a drink. You might get a hangover, you might not. You might be depressed (or it could trigger depression), you might not. People on here are just sharing their experiences and the fact that they have tried it themselves with generally poor results, myself included.

You are free to do whatever you want. I wish you nothing but a safe and happy new year.
Old 12-31-2012, 09:31 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Caldus View Post
iwantbliss,

I'm sorry to hear that you've decided in your head to drink again. I think a lot of people out there (including even my sponsor) are feeling dry today because of it being New Years and all. I was a little frustrated earlier because I knew I really shouldn't drink
I wont lie. For a bit tonight I was a bit down seeing I don't have my girlfriend anymore to celebrate it with and I overheard her at the lunch table today talking about how she was going to have fun tonight for new years eve. It was sooo hard because she doesn't talk to me anymore and there she sat beside me and not once said hello or looked at me... so I was battling alot today about wanting to pick up again and thank god I stopped myself from thinking that way. I stopped because I know that it wasnt the answer and that I worked so hard this past year and 4 months of staying sober and being happy. and even though she's gone from my life... I still am happy... although it was so hard today seeing her smile and not be with me, but I guess I can be happy for her that she looks happy again and that at least I'm trying.
Old 12-31-2012, 09:55 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by iwantbliss View Post
I'm not looking for your ******* opinion because you want to judge how much willpower you think I have.

Will I go through a physical withdrawal if I get drunk tonight?

Depends on how much you drink. Plain and simple.
Old 12-31-2012, 10:34 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  
Fellow Traveler and Seeker

You're probably asking then why did you get addicted? It was a rough time for me and I am not going through any of my old problems.

I promise you it won't be an everyday thing.
So what happens when new problems arise?

What's the plan then? Or will your life be problem free for the rest of your life?
Old 12-31-2012, 10:55 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Location: Overseas... on the shore of an uncharted desert isle.
Before I get **** for wanting to drink again, I have a lot of self-control. I mean, a-lot.

You're probably asking then why did you get addicted? It was a rough time for me and I am not going through any of my old problems.

I promise you it won't be an everyday thing.

My real question is..

My withdrawal is long gone, so if I decide to have a drink tonight, will I wake up with any physical withdrawal effects tomorrow or any anxiety or anything like that?

Thank you and happy new years!
I don't know if you'll get any physical withdrawal effects or an anxiety attack if you drink once, but once was never enough for almost all of us, so those issues might come back with a vengeance two, three, four days after or one week after...

It helps to add some other negatives that you might have forgotten about (and everyone who drinks conveniently forgets) however small or minor they may be. They helped me re-consider when recently friends asked "did I think I might want to start drinking again ... conservatively, socially etc.?" The not-so polite reminders I needed to poke myself with included:

- beer sh*ts and other symptoms of a hangover ['hangover' sounds rugged and even a little 'cool'; 'beer sh*ts' erase such images completely]

- blackouts and a recent memory of all the dumbass things my drunk friends and acquaintances say and do under the influence (like repeating themselves or saying completely ignorant **** loudly and repeatedly in the bar or restaurant).

- the fact I'm relatively fit and unlike years past, not wondering 'should I go on a diet or work out more 'cos soon it'll be summer and I want to get rid of my gut'.

The handful of crappy things that drinking did to you will certainly differ. However, you ought to spend a second trying to remember. It is amazing how quickly most of us tend to forget.

Last edited by Dee74; 01-01-2013 at 01:34 AM.
Old 12-31-2012, 11:14 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Don't mean to intrude... I'm new to the forum... but this thread is entitled. "I used to be a alcoholic and I want to drink again". I think the truth maybe You are an alcoholic and your alcoholism is trying to get you to drink again. I feel if you have experienced bad withdrawals in the past, by that I mean withdrawals not just a next day hangover, your already heading if not already over the line that says we can drink safely. Personally I advice you not to drink anything. it always starts with 1.
Old 01-01-2013, 01:28 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Could be as presented, but what seems familiar about
"iwantbliss" is when an alcoholic has had a couple and something (panic, maybe some slim awareness) gets in the way of finishing off the drunk, the drunk seeks to remove the obstacle with whatever intensity is required.

If the drunk isn't done due to lack of cash or the boss is around, or the wife, I overcame those examples and others usually that same night or the next.

Here perhaps the fear of severe withdrawals was the obsticle, and few were performing to the OP's expectations and desires, so she became agressive and profane, to bully members to get the ok for her to get drunk, in this way removing her obstacle but not being responsible for doing it. Passing the responsibility over to others to later blame her sickness on or whatever disaster befalls her.

This way acting on the permission to drink she figuratively beat out of this forum is liable for any results. I note she posted no further when she received what she sought.
Old 01-01-2013, 03:32 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

How can you 'used to be an alcoholic' If you drink again you'll still be an alcoholic. why risk it?
Old 01-01-2013, 05:00 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

This seems to me to be almost one of those "trolling" sorts of threads, like the original poster was just looking to push people's buttons and from the few responses from that same person I've read they've been indeed very rude to people trying to help.
Old 01-01-2013, 05:14 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

It's all kind of sad isnt it?

The OP was a bit like the internal discussion my addiction has with my rational self at times. I know the answers but it doesn't stop the chatter.

I just hope sense prevailed for their sake.
Old 01-01-2013, 05:29 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Lol My bet..is....as he stopped posting ..(my sick thinking would have been drinking around the point he stopped replying ) lol its true!

We will get a report of a horrible hangover or he's 'cured' all I heard was 'MY WILL ILL DO WHAT I WANT ' I prayed for him..his 1 night I pray doesn't turn in to weekends or every other weekend which turns into Friday through Monday which turns into every day that ends in Y all over again..

My prayers are out to the OP of this one this morning.
Old 01-01-2013, 05:41 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Yes, my prayers are with him too.
Old 01-01-2013, 07:43 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

To drink or not to drink :-)

Hello family,

A very happy and prosperous 2013 to us all :-)

For me it's like if I discovered that I was allergic to poison ivy and I consciously knew this simple fact.

Would I knowingly jump into poison ivy vines to see if it affected me or would I choose differently?

For me it's about choice and looking back on my life I discovered that on almost every occasion where drinking was involved there were problems.

So knowing this simple fact makes it easy for me.

The largest hurdle that I discovered is that I did not know how to cope with even simple things.

I grew up in an environment as a child that did not provide the tools that I think are missing in our society as a whole.

And that was that there are always consequences to every choice that we make no matter how large or small that we make think that choice is.

We all have choices, choose wisely :-)

Much love to all on this beautiful day!
Old 01-01-2013, 08:38 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

I'm sorry

You guys are good people I just like straight answers I hate beating around the bush you know?
Wanna bet at 7pm yesterday, Mr.Iwantbliss answered his own question the way he wanted it to be answered.-"-No, you'll be just fine, knock yourself out"
literally.

So as one "not to beat around the bush" How'd that work out for ya"??

......or are you still knocked out, Bliss?

Trix
Old 01-01-2013, 12:34 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  
Trudger of Happy Destiny

Originally Posted by rubbersoul View Post
This seems to me to be almost one of those "trolling" sorts of threads, like the original poster was just looking to push people's buttons and from the few responses from that same person I've read they've been indeed very rude to people trying to help.
Could be but how are we to really know? Who am I to pass judgement on someone's situation when it comes to drinking and attempting to control their drinking?
Old 01-01-2013, 01:06 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

I'm not looking for your ******* opinion because you want to judge how much willpower you think I have.

Will I go through a physical withdrawal if I get drunk tonight?
This is such utter ********.

If you have any ******* willpower this statement is complete horse ****.
I don't know about you, I am new here, are these the type of RUDE posts the norm from the people we are trying to help! REALLY?

Sure doesn't make me to even aknowledge this POST---Notice I am attacking the POST not the POSTER!
Old 01-01-2013, 01:20 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  
Administrator

Personally, I find this kind of post mortem discussion very unattractive...I suggest the OP and other newcomers may too?

Seeing as we've moved on to speculation and editorial comment I think we'll leave it there.

If the OP returns they're welcome to start another thread

D