Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

I used to be an alcoholic and I want to drink again

Notices

I used to be an alcoholic and I want to drink again

Old 12-31-2012, 04:01 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
If you want to vent Iwantbliss, that's fine, but we have certain standards of conduct we insist on here.

Do what you want to do, but this is not the place to pick a fight.

Dee
SR
I'm sorry

You guys are good people I just like straight answers I hate beating around the bush you know?
Old 12-31-2012, 04:04 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Administrator

We can only give you our experience iwantbliss.

Honestly I think it's a bad idea...but noone can stop you from doing whatever you want to do.

If you do drink, be safe and smart about it
D
Old 12-31-2012, 04:08 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by iwantbliss View Post
I'm not looking for your regurgitated cult alcoholic ********.
The reason most of us with long recovery seem like a "cult" or group-think conspiracy is simply because we see hundreds (sometimes thousands) of people make the same mistakes over and over again. One of the most common mistakes we see people make is the false reasoning that long stints of abstinence somehow treat alcoholism.

Taking months, years or even decades off from drinking, does not improve the situation one bit. Organ damage do to no-alcohol issues worsens it.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html
Old 12-31-2012, 04:12 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Aren't hangovers technically withdrawal symptoms..

Have you heard of the kindling effect IwantBliss? That might be worth considering.

It's impossible to predict what will happen to you though, hence why no one has answered your question directly.

Best of luck to you x
Old 12-31-2012, 04:21 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I'm sorry

You guys are good people I just like straight answers I hate beating around the bush you know?
Ok based on MY personal experience you will probably not go through withdrawal if you get drunk tonight. I have gone through detox with terrible symptoms after a week long binge. Like a dumbass I drank again and only had a hangover. Of course I drank again and again, and again after that. I am currently sober again and have every intention of staying that way.
Old 12-31-2012, 04:50 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

People are here because alcohol ***** up thier lifes mate. Its for support not arguements.
Peace
Old 12-31-2012, 05:04 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Originally Posted by iwantbliss
Will I go through a physical withdrawal if I get drunk tonight?
Hey Bliss...if you get drunk it's very likely you will physically feel like dogsh!t. Hangovers are the body withdrawing. The degree of dogsh!ttiness you may feel would depend on various factors.

Duh.
Old 12-31-2012, 05:08 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Administrator

those certain standards of conduct I mentioned apply to us all

Share your experience...give your input...don't be rude/combative or anything else that might put others reading and lurking off joining.

It's a reasonable ask I think?

D
Old 12-31-2012, 05:09 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Wow...how did you cure your alcoholism? An alcoholic is always an alcoholic. You may be sober, but you're still an alkie!
Old 12-31-2012, 05:20 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

You can do what you want, you've free will.

If you want to drink, you will drink.

If you want to remain sober, you will not drink.

It really is a choice that you should see through to the end...before you make the choice. If you do that, you'll likely choose not to drink.
Old 12-31-2012, 05:25 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

This is such utter ********.

If you have any ******* willpower this statement is complete horse ****.
Maybe it is ******** for you, but not for me. No I don't have any willpower if I was to take a drink. I would keep going.

As for your question in regards to withdrawal, how are we suppose to know if you will or not????
Old 12-31-2012, 05:26 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

My real question is..

My withdrawal is long gone, so if I decide to have a drink tonight, will I wake up with any physical withdrawal effects tomorrow or any anxiety or anything like that?

Thank you and happy new years!
My answer might border on the 'no medical advise' clause on SR but I think it'll be allowed...

Depends on how much you drink. A hangover is a physical withdrawl effect and that is certainly possible with a relatively low dose. On the other side of the continuum of possible physical effects is alcohol poisoning which can, of course, lead to a complete lack of waking up tomorrow.

As for anything in the middle - no, in my experience, alcohol withdrawal of the sort you seem to be indicating after one night of drinking (i.e. dt's ) are not possible.
Old 12-31-2012, 05:30 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

If you have a drink tonight you probably won't go through withdrawals or anxiety...if you take it deep and drink all night and fall asleep at 5am, you probably will suffer...
Old 12-31-2012, 05:31 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

iwantbliss you wanted opinions and you are getting mad ? Here I will be the one to tell you.. IF you decide to drink YES you will wake up and be at the place you was when you stopped drinking b4. The choice is yours. You have worked this hard to overcome the addiction is it worth a relapse ? to feel the pain you felt the last time you drank ?
Old 12-31-2012, 05:40 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Hi Iwantbliss,

I wanted to answer your question without any addendums prior to adding this and so, please see above. But for my own peace of mind, I wanted to comment on something else you said:

Before I get **** for wanting to drink again, I have a lot of self-control. I mean, a-lot.
I have a lot of self-control. I waited for my wife while she went to prison for 24 years over her addiction without cheating on her. I drove 1400 miles round trip every week to see her for 24 years - driving up after work every week and going thirty-six hours without sleep once a week - every week for 1,248 consecutive weeks. Takes a lot of willpower.

I died twice during withdrawal and lost the ability to walk unassisted. I couldn't read or write afterwards and the doctors told me it was permanent. Through sheer force of will, I taught myself to do all three again - in fact, since I've gotten sober, I've completed a marathon, went to college, and written a book. I understand willpower.

That said, it is my experience that willpower will not help someone to drink normally who has crossed a line in which they've allowed alcohol or drugs to become a solution to any problem. Those problems may no longer exist, but new problems are sure to arise - not necessarily because of the alcohol - but because that is the nature of life.
Old 12-31-2012, 05:45 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
High on Life

To answer your question, no you will not have physical withdrawal because in order to go through withdrawal, your body has to be dependent and one night won't make you dependent on alcohol. That being said, you will probably have a mean hangover if you over do it. Oh by the way, this is probably a bad idea, but I know you don't want to hear that. Obviously there was a reason you quit drinking, so try and remember what that was like before you decide to pick up.
Old 12-31-2012, 06:03 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  
~sb

I did that, just one more night of drinking. It lasted 10 more years. I made it alive. Today I have 19 1/2 months of sobriety and today each day counts.

The question is, "Will you stop after one night and will you make it alive?"

I wish you well. Happy New Year! (none of us have a crystal ball here)
Old 12-31-2012, 06:10 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

I thought the same last year, I stopped drinking then it got worse and I drank every day and I never use to drink every day it was once a week. But it's your choice but I will say this and not to be rude.... you'll be back,,, and we wont be judging you but look forward to your willing to stay away from the booze.
Old 12-31-2012, 06:27 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

I think it is a great idea!
Absolutely safe.
No risk at all.
We should all be so full of fun!
I don't know why I didn't think of that.
I could just drink for one night and use my amazing willpower to just get right back on the wagon.
Did I do ok? Is that what you wanted to hear?
Because it would be very disappointing if you didn't get the go-ahead to go and get thrashed on a RECOVERY WEBSITE!
Old 12-31-2012, 06:28 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

iwantbliss,

I'm sorry to hear that you've decided in your head to drink again. I think a lot of people out there (including even my sponsor) are feeling dry today because of it being New Years and all. I was a little frustrated earlier because I knew I really shouldn't drink -- even for New Years when everyone else my age is out there partying it up. Every time I get this way -- I always force myself to think about the pain I went through right before I quit last time. I have to go all the way back to the first step in my recovery and remember those experiences.

I'm not going to lie (or a lot of others on here I'm sure) -- I've been feeling sort of dry myself today. But I've already called some people in my program and also coming on this forum to listen to others and help out. I'm already a little more sane again -- enough to not drink for today -- and if that happens then I've won for today.

If you've decided that you don't want to do recovery right now then no one is going to stop you...