Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Quitting on New Years Eve! Looks like there are a few of us...

Notices

Old 12-31-2012, 06:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

So, I thought maybe I could start a new thread for us today. I know I have seen stillhere12 & MrsLamp & a few others saying today is Day 1!! So, let's try & keep it going. This is the most "drinkable" day of the whole year. I don't want to go to the liquor store & give them anymore of my money. My plan for the day is to watch my grandaughter, do some dishes, go to Costco later, give the car a bath & hopefully come home without alcohol and stay close to this forum through out the day & night!
Old 12-31-2012, 06:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Fab I'm in! This will be my day two, but my day one of not feeling like crap.
Old 12-31-2012, 06:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Day two for me as well. Think the alcohol is finally flushing out of my system. I don't want to be blitzed again I don't want to be that person again.
Old 12-31-2012, 07:03 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I understand the Day 1 feel like crap thing all too well! Mine is today, but I made this commitment to watch my GD so I am pushing through it, I have some old anxiety medicine to take later tonight. Congrats on getting thru Day 1!!!!
Old 12-31-2012, 08:37 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Today is day 5 sober for me- first time I've ever tried to formally quit, went to AA, the whole 9 yards.

One thing I have realized from this forum (thankfully) is that its ok to not go out and be a crazy party guy. I was suffering with so much anxiety over where would I go how could I handle huge parties etc... I just booked a hotel room to hide and I'm going to read books and drink green tea lol.

It was tough to do but this thing kills people- a lot of people- and if I had cancer, and the doc told me it was book a hotel room by yourself on new years or die I don't think that would be much of a decision. Its just another day- heck I don't even remember past 10pm for the last two years anyway so at least I'll wake up tomorrow not vomiting. (unless I catch Ebola randomly)
Old 12-31-2012, 09:39 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Trudger of Happy Destiny

Exciting to see so taking the big first step into recovery! I wish you all the best on this fabulous journey you are about to embark on. Action, however, is key. I made many declarations that "this was it" only to stumble again (NOT saying that it will happen to you, that was only my experience). What measures are you taking to prevent this? Recovery programs? Meetings? Step work?
Old 12-31-2012, 09:58 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I am planning to attend Lifering meetings in my area, I was involved about a year ago as well as an outpatient recovery center, & was becoming so pleased with myself. Then, major life situation happened & I have had little success getting back sober. I went to a meeting a week ago & everybody welcomed me back. There is a meeting tonight but they are doing something light afterwards, and I am not even in the mood to fix my hair. I might go back on antabuse, but I am afraid that I might have damaged my liver this time. I also would like to develop my spirituality, not religion, as well. They have a Buddhism recovery group as well by me. I am lucky to have such resources in my area. I need to accept the help & get going!! Talking to myself right now, haha
Old 12-31-2012, 09:59 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Ohio1, I like your hotel idea!!
Old 12-31-2012, 10:11 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I wish everyone nothing but success!

For me, every day was just as drinkable as the next day, regardless of the holiday.
Old 12-31-2012, 01:04 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
zjw

holidays made for some good excuses to get drunk course i could come up with good excuses to drink ANYTIME!!

I just read something today about new years resolutions and how you have to focus on the positive. IE not i will loose weight this year but rather I will adjust my weight this year and feel better. Likewise your not foregoing booze but rather your working on trying to feel better. Believe me you wont be doing without !! you'll be feeling much better.

Initially I was not very positive about the idea matter of fact i was rather pissed right the F*** off that i had to quit it was my choice to quit dont get me wrong but i was not too thrilled about this idea and i was even more not thrilled with the hell that came my way initially. So kudos to you guys being so upbeat and positive about the choice already. I'd imagine it'll make it easier for you if you remain that way!

What helped me was to worry about today. I put the past behind me and the future hadnt happened yet so why worry about it? All i did was focus on 1 day (TODAY) being sober and makeing proper choices.
Old 12-31-2012, 01:32 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

best wishes everyone!
You can do this!

D
Old 12-31-2012, 05:21 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Well, I made it home without buying alcohol, passed it up in the grocery aisle. Tons of people buying alcohol tonight, but that's ok, alot of us aren't!! Hoping I can find something on TV, because it is still 4 hrs to bedtime.
Old 12-31-2012, 05:26 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Trudger of Happy Destiny

More people in the world actually don't drink than do...
Old 12-31-2012, 05:41 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
zjw

yeah its a lot easier to not drink. to drink you gotta go get it open it consume it deal with the consequences etc.. who cares if you stay up late tonight and get drunk? whats it matter? it doesnt so dont bother.

this is the second new years for me sober i'm drinken my decaf coffee and i'll have do some 12 oz curls of water haha. prolly zonk out before 12am too even !!
Old 12-31-2012, 05:57 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

After two weeks of sobriety, I had one beer earlier today thinking "one more for the year, then I'm done". Now, the cravings are so bad, all I can think about is getting messed up.

Stay strong, everyone.
Old 12-31-2012, 06:22 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Funny, or maybe it isn't. After several weeks away from SR I end up here tonight, of all nights, New Years Eve. New Years Eve. Sober. Hmmm...thank God for this website!
Old 12-31-2012, 06:39 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I like the spirit of this thread. Good luck to all of you who are trying to quit tonight! You guys don't know it but you are helping all of us on here to remember what those first days were like. Keep strong and you will get better one day at a time.