Notices

Wohoo Day 4! Never had a Day 4 before :)

Old 12-31-2012, 06:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Smile Wohoo Day 4! Never had a Day 4 before :)

Hello SR community!

I am new here, and I'd like to start by saying what an amazing, wonderful, kind, and supportive group of people you all are! I feel so lucky to have found this forum, tho I've been lurking a while...

Today is my Day 4 sober! My habits, in short, were about 2 bottles of wine every day (at least, or the equivalent thereof - just wine & beer) and about an eighth of pot every 2 days or so **{sheesh; no wonder my finances are a mess! but I digress...}}

The drinking has been daily and non-stop for about 18 years (I'm 36 now), becoming very heavy and at the level described above for about 3 years. The pot use, while I've smoked on/off since a teen, has also been its heaviest in the last 2-3 years.

I'd like to share my experience from the last few days. First, these are the symptoms I've encountered since quitting (cold turkey--not recommended as others will attest!! I planned to call 911 or go to the ER at the first sign of hallucination; been checking my blood pressure, temp, etc):

Headache
Nausea
Lack of appetite
Depression
Anxiety
Guilt, shame
Irritability / quick to anger
Difficulty getting to sleep
Sweats (esp. drenching night sweats Day 1 & 2)
Fatigue

* Now the thing is, and I am rather surprised by this (and lucky probably!), that EVERY SINGLE one of those symptoms were FAR WORSE when I was using!! Not when I was sufficiently 'messed up' of course, but at all times outside of that state. Know what I mean?

Of course, I have tried quitting many times before. Tried cold turkey, weaning, meds from Western Dr, herbs from Eastern Dr, acupuncture, Reiki, hypnosis, rebirthing.... lol you name it! Never made it past one day, if that.

I am not sure what was different this time in terms of motivation. I've wanted to quit for a LONG time; stop wasting my life, etc. But, I do think my approach to the detox may have made a difference, and I'd love to share in the hopes of possibly helping others.

I was very interested in minimizing the effects of detox as much as possible, so from Day 1, I decided to do whatever I could to help move the toxins out of my system as quickly & efficiently as possible. This has included:

Colon cleansing (an easy method is salt water flush)
Bentonite clay baths (draws toxins out through your skin)
Dry skin brushing (stimulates the flow of lymph)
Epsom salt baths (helps draw toxins & good source of supplemental Mg)
Vitamin C flush (flushes the lymph; also cleans the colon)
Molybdenum (helps the liver break down Acetaldehyde)
Milk Thistle (standardized to 80% Silymarin)
Walking/hiking and rebounding as exercise (gets the lymph pumping)
Lots of rest; keeping stress to a minimum, lots of water, and eating as 'clean' as possible -- I think this one is especially important; while detoxing, try not to introduce any other toxins to your body).

I would describe my detox thus far (and I realize I am still in early days) as rather MILD. Not even as bad as a moderate hangover. I really think the cleansing, getting the nasty toxins out, has made a tremendous difference. Because not only has the first few days been mild in terms of detox, there are also a few POSITIVE symptoms I've been experiencing the last few days:

Moments that I've felt happier than I can remember in a long time.
Easily lost about 6 pounds -- the bloat is GONE!
Generally feeling 'healthier'.
No more puffy face.
Mental clarity already somewhat improved!
Chronic body pains largely gone!
Flat stomach!! Haven't seen that in a while
Digestive issues somewhat improved (prob. due to colon cleanse & clean diet)

Overall, today (so far, only 9am here) I feel quite good. And I actually feel so CLEAN that I honestly do NOT want to drink! Why would I drink poison when without it I am feeling so much better? It's as if my whole perspective has changed; alcohol is not that 'quick fix' anymore. In fact, I know it does nothing good for me!

Why oh why did I wait this long??? Oh yeah, I know why -- fear, ingrained thinking, sheer habit/compulsion... etc... My story is likely very similar to many others here. Crappy childhood, abuse, long history of self-destructive desires, depression, suicide attempt, divorce - just to give the short version.

So what I really want to say is, that I know it's terrifying, it's difficult, it's hard to imagine... but it is possible, AND I think there are measures to make it a bit easier. Incidentally, I think cleaning up one's diet and adopting some healthier habits before quitting may also make the detox a bit smoother.

I want to thank everyone here at SR for their encouragement (even if it hasn't been expressed directly to me - it's still encouraging!) and kindness, and advice.

And I want to tell others who may be in the first few days, or may be lingering like I was for so long, wanting desperately to be free, that YOU CAN DO IT, and that's exactly what it feels like-- FREEDOM!

Now, I am no dummy, and I am very serious about my recovery, so I do plan on reaching out to others, possibly AA, or more likely WFS, because I do believe that it is essential to have the support of people who have been there. I also think forgiving yourself, and trying to let go of the guilt, etc is very important. Some level of spirituality, as many say- a 'higher power' as you understand it, is also helpful. Meditating is next on my list!

Good luck everyone! I am so glad I'm here
Old 12-31-2012, 06:44 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 4 days and Welcome to SR!!

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 12-31-2012, 06:54 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Well done Nina congrats on day 4. Keep going and keep posting!
Old 12-31-2012, 07:08 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congratulations LittleNina ... every day sober is a great blessing. The suggested program of recovery, outlined in the textbook Alcoholics Anonymous is the program that saved me and thousands of others suffering from the incurable malady of alcoholism. It offers a design for living that really works.

Last edited by Zoltani; 12-31-2012 at 07:10 AM. Reason: typo
Old 12-31-2012, 07:10 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

congrats Nina!! i am on day 26 and i feel great, keep up the good work!
Old 12-31-2012, 07:53 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Nina! Day five here, and this is my first post . I just wanted to say that I am doing something similar (I was also a 2 bottle of wine a night girl). I decided to completely change my diet from wine and carbs to no sugar at all (or wine) and no grains at all. It's helping me so much. The second day was the worst, but I feel fine now! If I'm going to obsess about what goes into my body, if rather it be food than poison.

I've never even tried to stop drinking before. After 10 years of slowly killing myself, I'm finally done. Wine doesn't even smell good to me anymore. I was around it all night and the thought turned my stomach.

Whatever works, right! Congrats!
Old 12-31-2012, 08:23 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Good going - everyone.

It's amazing how possible it is once you've made the decision.

As another poster put it (imo) so beautifully - booyah!

Old 12-31-2012, 09:08 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Booyah indeed! Well done. And you seem to be very informed about what's good for you, too... A source of inspiration.

As someone with a similar drinking history (I am slightly younger than you are, but started earlier) I'm looking forward to reaching my own day 4 on Tuesday, I don't think I ever had a day 4 either and if that's the effect it has I want to get there NOW!
Old 12-31-2012, 09:14 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
So it goes

Good going, keep it up!!
Old 12-31-2012, 09:34 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Trudger of Happy Destiny

Congrats on 4 days and your progress. Hope everything continues to get better for you. Have you looked into any recovery programs?
Old 12-31-2012, 09:58 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

You think day 4 is awesome? Wait till tomorrow on day 5! Please come back and tell us how much you love it.

It helps me stay sober!!!!
Old 01-01-2013, 05:01 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thank you for the responses everyone! And Happy New Year!!

Day 5 today!!! yay

FinallyFinished, that is so interesting, bc when I say 'clean' diet, that is exactly what I mean - no grains, no sugar, and for me, I cut dairy too.

I think avoiding sugar is especially important since there is certainly a sugar addiction 'component' to alchoholism, am I right?

So tell me, FF, has your first few days been similar to mine? I must say, I was certainly not expecting it to be so... well, so easy... and relatively painless. Apart from day 1 & 2, I've really had no physical symptoms, and my energy & mood improve every day. You do sound like you had a habit on the same level as mine, so I am curious how you're doing, and I wish you the best!

Thanks again everyone! Here's to a healthy, sober, and happy 2013 for all of us!

Old 01-01-2013, 05:15 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

.... and hey, shadesofgray -- CONGRATS on your first few days too and I hope you got that Day 4 under your belt, & start feeling as great and excited as I am!

Best of luck!
Old 01-01-2013, 05:33 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LittleNina View Post
Thank you for the responses everyone! And Happy New Year!!

Day 5 today!!! yay

FinallyFinished, that is so interesting, bc when I say 'clean' diet, that is exactly what I mean - no grains, no sugar, and for me, I cut dairy too.

I think avoiding sugar is especially important since there is certainly a sugar addiction 'component' to alchoholism, am I right?

So tell me, FF, has your first few days been similar to mine? I must say, I was certainly not expecting it to be so... well, so easy... and relatively painless. Apart from day 1 & 2, I've really had no physical symptoms, and my energy & mood improve every day. You do sound like you had a habit on the same level as mine, so I am curious how you're doing, and I wish you the best!

Thanks again everyone! Here's to a healthy, sober, and happy 2013 for all of us!

I am feeling the same way. I really believe that eating clean is making this process a lot easier than I expected. The shakes only lasted two days and i really feel very free. It's amazing!
Old 01-01-2013, 05:49 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

wow!

So happy for you FF, and happy this approach seems to be working.

I really hope we can inspire a few others and/or help give them a way to ease their detox experiences too!

Old 01-01-2013, 05:57 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
stepping on my way...

Welcome to SR LittleNina

Glad you found us!!!!

Like said above it just keeps getting better and better! Keep going! I am rooting for you!!!

I enjoyed your post and information as well. Very nicely wrote
Old 01-01-2013, 06:28 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Nina. It's wonderful to see how positive and enthused you are. I'm sure your words will help many of our newcomers.

You say you wonder why you waited so long, but I waited almost another 20 yrs. You're far wiser than I was. I looked at it all wrong - kept whining about what I'd be missing - rather than admitting it wasn't fun anymore. All it brought me was misery, danger, and regret.

We're happy to have you with us. A whole new life will be yours. Happy new year.