Notices

Interesting observation

Old 12-30-2012, 05:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Interesting observation

I just had dinner out, Mexican. In the past a pitcher or two would be split between my husband and myself. Tonight he had a beer and I abstained.

I always thought everyone else was boozing it up during dinner...especially in the area we are in tonight (touristy). I looked around, though, and really, there were very few drinking.

Anyway I thought it was interesting.

I hope y'all are all having a good night!
Old 12-30-2012, 05:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by beherenow View Post
I just had dinner out, Mexican. In the past a pitcher or two would be split between my husband and myself. Tonight he had a beer and I abstained.

I always thought everyone else was boozing it up during dinner...especially in the area we are in tonight (touristy). I looked around, though, and really, there were very few drinking.

I would go to parties and figured everybody was blind drunk like me. After all they were holding a beer all night weren't they? Never occured to me that it was the same beer while I went through an 18 pack.
Old 12-30-2012, 05:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Fellow Traveler and Seeker

I have experienced the same thing you have.

When I was partying it up, I only focused on those others who were drunk like me. So if you were to ask me how some big party was the next day, I would say great, everyone was hammered! Ask me again, same party, only this time I am sober, and I would say great, except for the three drunk morons in the corner...
Old 12-30-2012, 05:42 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

This afternoon my wife and I went to an Italian restaurant that we hadn't been to in a while. Usually when we go to this place we sit at the bar and drink a half bottle of wine.

I was thinking, maybe we should get a table, I don't know if I want to sit at a bar without drinking. But when we walked in, I just went straight for the bar. Force of habit maybe.

There was only a few other people at the bar, but I surprised to see they were all drinking water with their meals. I always thought everyone at the bar was drinking alcohol, but I was definitely wrong. Some people prefer sitting at the bar when theyre eating cause you can watch TV and talk to the bartender, especially if you're alone. I thought if I did it it'd be strange, but now I realize it's totally normal.

Anyways, just figured I'd chime in since I had a similar experience.
Old 12-30-2012, 05:44 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It's funny what you see when you aren't the one plastered
Old 12-30-2012, 07:30 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
High on Life

I used to think everyone drank and used drugs like I did. I even talked about it openly, because I thought everyone was doing it. Now that I'm sober, I realize that although a lot of people drink, they aren't drinking at the level that I was drinking. One drink or two drinks and most people seem happy. Who would have thought? LOL
Old 12-30-2012, 11:47 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
instant

It,s really incredible how little most people drink!!!!
Old 12-31-2012, 02:06 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Seconded... Also, when I was younger I thought of non-drinkers as a sorry bunch. I thought the sober population only comprised old ladies, nerds, losers and uber-religious people (no offense to anyone who's religious of course, I'm just talking about the cultural stereotype). Turns out I'm probably not coming across as the brightest bulb on the string on account of being unable to control my drinking.
Old 12-31-2012, 06:37 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

We went to Red Lobster last night (what cr@p - probably my last time, I hope!) and I noticed only one women drinking a glass of wine in our large dining area. I never would have noticed this sort of thing before I quit drinking. I pretty much figured everyone got wine (or something) with their dinner.

What a new and enlightening world I've entered!
Old 12-31-2012, 08:33 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Trudger of Happy Destiny

Originally Posted by beherenow View Post

Really interesting. I agree, it was quite a shock when I realized not many other people thought drinking was as big of a deal as I did. Many can "take it or leave it." Thank goodness the steps have placed me in this position of neutrality.
Old 01-01-2013, 11:22 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

On our anniversary, at a restaurant...I ordered five drinks in an hour. The waiter made a glancing remark on my fifth order. I was angry at him noticing my consumption and making it visible.

I was a sick man.
Old 01-01-2013, 11:48 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

I remember when I first noticed this too, funny enough, also at a Mexican restaurant. We go out to eat a lot.. and I usually can't count more people than 3 or 4 that are actually drinking, and none of them ever order more than one. Crazy.
Old 01-01-2013, 01:06 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

We were at a football game (college) last night and I noticed it there too. A few people drunk, some drinking a few around us but most not drinking...and no one seemed to care. Ha.
Old 01-01-2013, 02:29 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I call moments like this "lightbulb moments". When you suddenly realize something.
Old 01-02-2013, 10:41 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

it is actually quite annoying to me now when I see people drunk. Even more annoying when I ask my wife if I used to be like these drunks and she always replies, "worse".

Lol.
Zube
Old 01-03-2013, 07:27 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

We have been around some friends this holiday season and I've observed their drinking.

One guy I know will drink a beer or two and then switch to coffee!?! What's up with that?

If I were going to switch drinks after a couple of beers it would be to vodka. I guess that's why I'm an alcoholic and he's not.
Old 01-03-2013, 09:43 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

gin for me zebra! yikes!