Notices

Tough situation comin up

Old 04-18-2004, 07:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Exclamation Tough situation comin up

Well, looks like I will be at an open-bar situation this Tuesday night.. Hosting 2 of my clients at a hockey game... I plan on sticking to water or club soda and lime... I pray for strength as this will be a tough one.. Good thing is, I've been able to stay away from booze at such events before... Being only a few days sober to that night (5 actually) makes me nervious....

Any advice ? as "not going" is not really an option....
Old 04-18-2004, 08:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Re: Tough situation comin up

Heya TG!
Well, at some time in our recovery we have to get used to the idea that alcohol is going to be around. Just remember that the alcohol itself is not the problem, it's okay unless you put it in your body. I'm not sure what kind of a drunk you were but you might want to be wary of the subtle ways our minds try to get us to take extra trips past the bar or otherwise get us closer to the booze. It's bad enough that it's in the same building, right? You're there to entertain your clients, right? Just do that and think about how it feels doing it Sober. Of course, You might find yourself telling yourself things like "it sure would be better with a Drink in me!" Ignore it! You know you're lying to you. You may find yourself trying to rationalize having just one drink. Rational Lies. I'd be more worried for you if you thought it wouldn't be a challenge.
Without knowing your story all I can say is Go to the Game, entertain your clients, stay away from the bar, and get home as soon as you can. You can do it!
Let us know how it goes!
-Josh
Old 04-18-2004, 08:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

When i'm asked if i'd like a drink, i usually answer with the truth- "no thanks, i've had enough"-if you have a sponsor, a pre game chat would be good. Carry a phone list to the game - give another recovering alcoholic a call- update him on the action- on the ice and in your head! Besides strength, pray for some Help...and then expect to get it. It took a lot of prayer to get me on my way...mine and others. I'm prayin' for ya!
mackat
Old 04-19-2004, 01:44 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Salvador Doggie

Invite a hockey fan in recovery. Me.

TorontoGuy28,

That's a tricky one. Five days is still pretty fresh for all this exercise in self discipline. Make sure you eat tons of food before-hand. Get real full on water. Keep a bag of really strong candy handy that will clash with your common drink of choice. Keep a momento in your pocket that will remind you of your resolve and grasp it frequently. Take antibuse if you want to go to great extreems. Meditate before your event and clarify your intentions and think through many possible variations that may arise. Think of all those sad Maple Leaf fans and how they might need that drink more than you. Just kidding there.

You can do it man. Keep reminding yourself of the rewards in long term thinking and beware of the impulse to gratify yourself in the immediate by drinking. And most of all, get the heck out of there if the pressure starts to get to be too much. If you don't smoke--then start by going outside to have one. No matter what the event requires from you it is not worth you being second place. You could loose it all with a misguided sence of responsibility.

But you can do it. I'll be thinking of you.

Rudiger

P.S. What game are you going to? Playoffs? Flying to Detroit? hehe.
Old 04-19-2004, 02:03 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

ughhh! man a hockey game is tough!!!! are you going to the playoffs? this will be a true test of strength and will! but you seem like you are preparing and know where you could get in trouble. i am a big sports fan and i go to a lot of sports events and go to sports bars to watch t.v. and yell at my teams! soooo i know how it can be. do you have a sponsor or a good friend you can call while at the game for strength? prepare as if you are going into battle but know that you are strong you can do this! keep posting. maybe remembering what makes you want to stay sober. i look at alcohol and say to myself...it's just not worth it. i hope this helps and i'm pulling for ya! alice
Old 04-19-2004, 02:26 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi there TG!

There is not much I can add to what has already been said . definitely ring your Sponser before going, AND have some handy phone numbers of your sober friends to call during the evening. one thing I have been told, is that a HUGE choccy milkshake with icecream will help directly before you go. Dont physically go up to the bar if you can avoid it .

Also, if you get that little voice " oh! I could have just 1" think the whole thing thru .....from picking up, to blackout , to hangover , and the following self disgust and loathing in the morning , just not worth it mate .

After all it is only a few hours , and what is that , in relation to your sober time ? nuffin eh?Alcohol is just a beverage, we can choose to tip it down our throats or not . best of luck, TG I will be praying for you !!!!!!!!!!

HUGX

Lee
Old 04-19-2004, 04:31 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Dan

Well, not much to add here. If the Leafs blow game 7, I fear relapse for many!
An early test to be sure T.O guy. Suck on the lime wedges!
Old 04-19-2004, 08:39 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks again for your advice folks, much appreciated.

I don't have a sponsor as I only recently decided to stop drinking all together.. My first AA meeting is this Wed..

Rudiger, it's the Toronto Maple Leafs vs. Ottawa Senators -- game 7.
Old 04-19-2004, 08:53 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Dan

Rudiger,
When the Leafs finish sweeping up the mess at the ol' Joe Louis, you can buy me a pepsi!
Old 04-19-2004, 06:31 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Chy

Your SR family will be there holding your hand! Like you said, you've done it before, have confidence in yourself you can do it again!
Old 04-19-2004, 07:42 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hey TG, for me, being at the bar itself is bearable. When someone offers to buy me a drink. It gets a little harder. I do echo the food part also. I know that I hated drinking on a full stomach. Maybe even a stong-minty chewing gum could help? Never tried that though. Anyway - keep your guard up stay focused.
Old 04-20-2004, 05:53 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Chy

Good luck tonight, let us know how well you did!
Old 04-20-2004, 06:52 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks folks, all of you have been great ! With your support and my strong mindset I am very confident I'l suceed !!! I will post after the game to tell you how great things went !!
Old 04-20-2004, 06:54 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Dan

Awesome! Final score tonight: 2-1 Leafs. Winning goal: Mogilny!
Bring gum!
Old 04-20-2004, 07:22 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

What a game !! 4:1 Leafs... The place, and now Toronto is going nuts !

I had no problems staying away from drinking either ! All went as planned... My clients drank, but not I... Altough I might say, it did look tempting... The thought that kept me going is the promist to myself, the motivation from this board and of course having a meeting at 7:00 am tomorrow !!.... Completed day 5 without drinks and this was one of the toughest situations I could have been in..

Thanks again everyone !
Old 04-20-2004, 07:32 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Dan

Rip Roaring T.O! Five days and going sooooo strong. I watched the game here with some guys from my AA tribe. The stories we were telling... Was that you on T.V? The guy with the lime chunks stuck in his teeth? Wish I was on Yonge Street right about now!
Old 04-20-2004, 07:33 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hey TG28, great job! :thumb Sounded like a good time. I love the playoffs!
Old 04-20-2004, 07:35 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Haha.. Yeah Yonge street is nuts !! I live pretty close to it, so hear all the damn horns going off.... I was the guy in the stands with big Tim Horton's coffee in my hand....
Old 04-20-2004, 07:38 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Dan

:LMAO T.O
Old 04-20-2004, 10:15 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Salvador Doggie

It's been a long, long, day for me and I'm just getting home now late.
I thought about you today TorontoGuy. Pleased to get home and read of your success and good time.

Maple Leaf's. Effing brilliant!!! I'm watching the replays now.

I knew you could do it. Feels real good I bet.

I hope you stick around with us on the board. We can have some good fun in June during game four of the Cup finals when the Leaf's play Detroit. We will see if Dan really get's that Pepsi.

I think you are off to a great start.

Rudiger

P.S. Still going to your first meeting tomorrow? Stop by the AA forum next door and let us know how it goes, ok?