Notices

2 days Sober :)

Old 12-28-2012, 08:26 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

2 days Sober :)

Hey all,

I know it's very early days but i'm so proud of myself as i'm already starting to feel better in myself. Feels great to wake up without that hangover feeling.

What's really helped me this time are some sleeping tablets the Dr prescribed me. I'm an awful sleeper and can go up to 3 days without sleep if i'm withdrawing/stressed, which has left me with no energy and motivation at all the next day.

I'm taking one every other night at the moment and I think I can keep going I was a bit apprehensive at first of 'switching' one drug for another, but if the odd bit of sleep can get me over that initial hump this time I am going to be so much stronger.

Thanks for all the help you have given me, you really made it clear to me I HAVE to change. (fingers crossed)
Old 12-28-2012, 08:30 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yeah!!!!! Good for you . Keep it up, you are worth it!
Old 12-28-2012, 08:47 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Awesome Grandilow! It's so nice to wake up not feeling like hell isn't it? I take it for granted now and reading your post helps me to remember why drinking is not fun.
Old 12-28-2012, 09:04 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Good job and good luck! How long and how much have you been drinking?
Old 12-28-2012, 09:08 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by justanother1 View Post
Good job and good luck! How long and how much have you been drinking?

Thanks! About 3 years, it's been rising steadily and the last few months it's been around 15 units a night, but i'd also insanely binge 1 or 2 nights. Just hoping I can stay as strong as I am now
Old 12-28-2012, 05:44 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Well tonight was 'beer night' at the pub with my dad, pretty much the only time I get to see him. I'm ashamed to say I gave in and had a half of ale. What i then did though, is wrote in my journal after the alcohol hit me. Here's what it says:

"No happier, no closer to sleep, more annoyed, DONT DRINK"

As a 20 year old I feel i'm still feeling my way in life. Tonight has been an eye opener for me. I kinda relish being in a house of drinkers sometimes. Im home for xmas right now, on the sofa, I can see at least 10 bottles of alcohol, all I want to do is smash them
Old 12-28-2012, 06:09 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Grindilow View Post
Well tonight was 'beer night' at the pub with my dad, pretty much the only time I get to see him. I'm ashamed to say I gave in and had a half of ale. What i then did though, is wrote in my journal after the alcohol hit me. Here's what it says:

"No happier, no closer to sleep, more annoyed, DONT DRINK"

As a 20 year old I feel i'm still feeling my way in life. Tonight has been an eye opener for me. I kinda relish being in a house of drinkers sometimes. Im home for xmas right now, on the sofa, I can see at least 10 bottles of alcohol, all I want to do is smash them
That's OK Grindilow. I slipped many times before getting more time under my belt. I understand. I relapsed under very similar circumstances one time. My father was visiting me and we started going to ale houses to try out drinks. I caved in and just drank with him. Luckily I managed to quit again a few weeks after that. Just forgive yourself for today and start focusing on getting sober. Have you checked out an AA meeting yet?
Old 12-28-2012, 06:10 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Well im still here with only the half pint of beer drank. I can do this
Old 12-28-2012, 06:16 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Caldus View Post
That's OK Grindilow. I slipped many times before getting more time under my belt. I understand. I relapsed under very similar circumstances one time. My father was visiting me and we started going to ale houses to try out drinks. I caved in and just drank with him. Luckily I managed to quit again a few weeks after that. Just forgive yourself for today and start focusing on getting sober. Have you checked out an AA meeting yet?
Thanks so much for your advice. Im planning on going for the next meeting in two days time. Hoping to pick up a sponsor!!
Old 12-28-2012, 06:17 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

well done you r in my prays xxx
Old 12-28-2012, 06:30 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks so much for your advice. Im planning on going for the next meeting in two days time. Hoping to pick up a sponsor!!
Great to hear. AA has been the only thing that has kept me sober longer than 2 weeks (I tried other things on my own beforehand). Remember, the only requirement for AA membership is a desire to stop drinking -- if you slip then that's OK (definitely don't make a habit out of it of course!).
Old 12-28-2012, 06:57 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

No reason to try and do this alone...I think that makes good sense.
Old 12-29-2012, 04:31 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Fellow Traveler and Seeker

Good luck with that - hope you get one. You'll see that you're not alone and with a plan of action going, you will see great a truly sober life feels like.
Old 12-29-2012, 09:29 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Good idea on the sponsor Grindilow, it's awfully lonely (and just plain awful!) to try to do this alone. Can I make a suggestion? Maybe avoid "beer night" and other such situations for awhile. Why tempt fate? You're doing a wonderful thing for yourself by getting sober, set yourself up for success, not failure! All the best to you Grindilow