Notices

The things that mattered then...

Old 12-27-2012, 07:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The things that mattered then...

Hi friends!

A few old friends recently came back into my life and it's been strange to say the least.

I've found myself thinking about all the things that defined my life "then," really have no meaning to me "now." I'm sorry about the wreckage of my past and I've made my amends, but that doesn't mean I resent it. What my alcoholism has done is open my eyes to the people who need help, given me empathy for those who are currently where I was. I used to pass by that guy on the street, never occurring to me he needed the money he was begging for, just to get himself well. I'm not suggesting that we all mobilize and enable these people, but a kind word or the directions to the nearest detox, just an understanding smile, might help.

That's the kind of patience and eyesight that has come to me in the time since. Maybe I'm just reflecting on another year...I don't know. I just felt the need to share with y'all.

Happy New Year everyone. Be safe!
Old 12-27-2012, 07:44 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

((Texasblind)) - I found the same feelings. Though I don't give to everyone who asks, I've fed quite a few homeless people, some of which may or may not have had addiction issues, I've given a few dollars here and there when I can and it just feels right.

Back when I was on the streets, some people gave me money for food and I used it for drugs. I guess it's my way of making amends, and right or wrong, it feels right to me.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy