Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Day 8 and still withdrawing how long is this going to last?

Notices

Old 12-26-2012, 04:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'am not going to lie I was a heavy drinker (beer) for8 years.I could drink a 18 pack to 24 pack by my self in a day. I am on day 8 clean(psychiatrist supervised I have bipolar disorder too) of detox I'am home detoxing becuz of there is no detox center in my area.Pdoc started me on 3mgx3 daily of klonpion which I allready take but usally 1mgx3daily it has helped tons. Today the 26th I lowered my klonpion to 2mg and feel like **** but ok it's not going to be easy anyway. it has been hard but when will this end 2 weeks I heard 7 days avgs thats BS!I do feel better then what I did from the start.withdrawal was intense and still going but not giving up I have a family it's time to come clean for good. I tryed one AA meeting and I couldn't take it hearing everyones problams I got my own it just made me wanna drink more. My PDOC is starting me on campral tommarow and starting on intense threapy with my threapist to help. I love my Pdoc he actally called me to see how I was doing he has helped alot if it wasn't for him and my wife I would not made to day 8 everyday I feel little better but when can I say I feel good I read people said a month.Right now I sleep alot my bodyaches,eat very little just feel like crap.

When will the time come where I can say I feel good a month?
Old 12-26-2012, 04:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Geodon

It usually took me about a week to start to feel good...but I wasn't on any other meds, so I have no experience to share there.

I'm glad you have your Drs involved...was it their idea to reduce your dose? if you keep following their directions you should be ok - if you're concerned about how you feel you can always check with them.

Hope you feel better soon

D
Old 12-26-2012, 04:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Once it took me three weeks. I think it depends on how much you had been drinking. That was just to feel kind of normal.
Old 12-26-2012, 04:40 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

What other meds are you on? Did he prescribe you klonopin for the w/d or for other stuff? What is a PDOC?
Old 12-26-2012, 04:41 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Are you talking health wise? That depends how beat up your body is. It takes time for it to recover from the abuse. Many chemical imbalances will have to slowly return to normal values. It's a long process.

Not to mention the feeling of breaking the habit of drinking. That feeling will last a long time until NOT drinking becomes a habit.

Just stay clean and don't expect to feel great too soon. Some months down the road it will all make more sense.
Old 12-26-2012, 04:57 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Geodon85

What withdrawal symptoms are you experiencing now? Is it just bodyaches and feeling tired?

I'll be honest here and say I felt like that for months. It got a little better every day but I was physically wiped out and had lots of pain in my legs and arms. But I think that was down to some nerve damage really. I can't relate when people say they felt better in a few weeks because I think I only started feeling 'normal' after 6 months maybe, for all the fog to clear and to feel like I could feel my whole body. I don't know if that makes sense or not. I had night sweats and sleepless nights for a few weeks but the rest of it took a lot longer. I wasn't a particularly heavy drinker either. We all respond differently I suppose.

But I do know I felt a little better every day... hang in there. Things can only get better x
Old 12-26-2012, 06:24 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
~sb

6 months.....
Old 12-26-2012, 11:18 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Taking5 View Post
What other meds are you on? Did he prescribe you klonopin for the w/d or for other stuff? What is a PDOC?
I take geodon triliptal klonpion lexapro all for bipolar I nexium blood pressure med. A Pdoc is short for psychiatrist.
Old 12-26-2012, 11:21 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hypochondriac View Post
Welcome to SR Geodon85

What withdrawal symptoms are you experiencing now? Is it just bodyaches and feeling tired?

I'll be honest here and say I felt like that for months. It got a little better every day but I was physically wiped out and had lots of pain in my legs and arms. But I think that was down to some nerve damage really. I can't relate when people say they felt better in a few weeks because I think I only started feeling 'normal' after 6 months maybe, for all the fog to clear and to feel like I could feel my whole body. I don't know if that makes sense or not. I had night sweats and sleepless nights for a few weeks but the rest of it took a lot longer. I wasn't a particularly heavy drinker either. We all respond differently I suppose.

But I do know I felt a little better every day... hang in there. Things can only get better x
Yes it is the bodyaches feeling tired sleeping all the time feel like i'am gonna puke at times but I am having some insomina not bad it's 2:20am
Old 12-26-2012, 11:28 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

It's day 9 I can't sleep from sleeping allday 2:26am. I feel better then I was not 100% but alot better doc lover my klonpion to 2mg yesterday I feel ok with it.I normally take 1mgX3 klonpion daily for anxiety but had to up it to 3mg during first withrdrawal so making progress now the campral starts today and threaphy very soon.It's odd not drinking kinda boring to say but I have to stop for my self and family.
Old 12-27-2012, 09:37 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
9.11.10 I started Living

I was treated in a halfway house via cold turkey 2 years ago...very dangerous for someone with bipolar specifically mentally. First month I still had trembling hands and anxiety attack, with exercise and diet (Veggies and oats) I managed to dry up and all the physical symptoms were gone so I thought I could live life 'naturally' without meds, then BAM! the 6th month I experienced manic depressive episodes so I went straight to my PDOC. Now I can safely say 2years sober....AA helped me with alcoholism but my BP i entrust to my psychiatrist.