Notices

resurfacing

Old 12-25-2012, 06:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

resurfacing

new day, same story - barely sober, sufficiently humble.

a few months ago, things were going well and i was beginning to make real, measurable progress in my life. never one to let past failures go, i began to drink while i waited for the other shoe to drop. a couple of dumb nights aside, i managed for a time with just a bottle of wine in the evening. except for the general detached bitterness it imparted to my worldview, it didn't seem to be hurting, and even seemed helpful in dealing with a couple of sad occasions. but i withdrew because everyone thinks that i'm sober, and i got newly dependent because i guess that's unavoidable, and my old habit of packing bottles in my luggage returned along with a fierce depression. this morning marked the last of my stash, but instead of sneaking out or swiping more from my host's cabinet, i took a long walk by the frigid river, bawling like the hysterical idiot i can sometimes be, and realized that there is no functional way to live this madness.

so hello again, old friends. another new beginning for another new year.
Old 12-25-2012, 07:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
NAIOU

Glad To see you back at SR. Good luck on your journey. Logo
Old 12-25-2012, 07:03 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome back!

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 12-25-2012, 07:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome back to SR and, more importantly, sobriety! One thing I've learned is that I can't do this alone. I love that any time of day, if I need someone, there is always someone here.
Old 12-25-2012, 07:26 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Originally Posted by NobleCause
realized that there is no functional way to live this madness.
It's true NC...
Old 12-25-2012, 07:28 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Still I rise.

Welcome back, NC.
Old 12-25-2012, 08:09 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Trudger of Happy Destiny

We are glad you are back.
Old 12-25-2012, 11:36 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I don't think the problems of an alcoholic (other than getting sick and of course the physical damage it does to our body) have much to do with the alcohol at all, but that's only an opinion.

For some of us the destruction hinges on the various needs that eventually drive us back to the bottle, conciously or unconciously when we're doing so very well and don't want the chaos back and people who care are so happy we've licked our old problem with finality this time, unlike those other times.

That's when we die a little, not when we're temporarily managing our drinking or even going full bore. Knowing we couldn't follow through. The continual lessening of our confidence, and the thinning of how we view the value of our assurances and commitments.

It's when the sounds from those who applaud our passing the liquor store for the first time this time around ring hollow. The cheerleaders begin to sound tinny and we suspect this will again play out the same, despite their certainties.

Doing more to support this time around the track is reasonable and may change things. If you do want things to change.
Old 12-26-2012, 02:28 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
instant

Glad you are back NC. build on what works
Old 12-26-2012, 02:53 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

No, there is no sane way to be mad

I'm glad to see you back here too NC.

D
Old 12-26-2012, 03:13 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Alcohol and depression feels like a cold, dark place to me too.
Welcome back to the light and warmth, take this experience and know you learned what works.
Old 12-26-2012, 03:15 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome back.
Old 12-26-2012, 05:45 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Fellow Traveler and Seeker

Originally Posted by NobleCause View Post

i took a long walk by the frigid river, bawling like the hysterical idiot i can sometimes be, and realized that there is no functional way to live this madness.
I can totally relate.

I wish you the best, and welcome back.

You're among friends, new and old
Old 12-26-2012, 06:09 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Quote:

'i took a long walk by the frigid river, bawling like the hysterical idiot i can sometimes be, and realized that there is no functional way to live this madness.'

Yeah, yikes, certainly strikes a cord! Congratulations on your work coming back here noblecause. Nice to meet you and take care.
Old 12-26-2012, 06:11 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Doing more to support this time around the track is reasonable and may change things.
I would agree. How deeply have you explored various ways to quit? and in which ways have you put in some hard study?

I abhor cute little phrases and sayings, and honestly I want to smack myself for even saying this but NC, nothing changes if nothing changes.

Any ideas on what you're going to do?
Old 12-26-2012, 07:15 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Nothing changes....Nothing changes.

I'm not big on the cute little sayings either...but that one is the bitter truth. Welcome back NC.
Old 12-26-2012, 07:40 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Welcome back, each of us have a daily reprieve, one day at a time. Take care,
Bloss
Old 12-26-2012, 07:43 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Noble Cause,

Welcome back! I remember you well and even exchanged some pm's with you a while back.
Old 12-26-2012, 08:28 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberlicious View Post
I would agree. How deeply have you explored various ways to quit? and in which ways have you put in some hard study?

I abhor cute little phrases and sayings, and honestly I want to smack myself for even saying this but NC, nothing changes if nothing changes.

Any ideas on what you're going to do?
i've put decent time and thought into a few approaches. i began with court ordered NA & AA meetings about 20 years ago and have accumulated entire bookshelves dedicated to alternative routes to recovery in the time since. in and out patient rehabs, addictions counselors, buddhist temples, jail detox… nothing sticks. at a certain point i decide it doesn't fit - the meetings are too cliche, the books and sayings too trite, meditating is a pain, and the spiritual tones of the culture of recovery programs seem alienating. but i suppose the bottom line is that i don't have to like the solution, so long as it works. i haven't figured out the next step just yet, but i'm guessing i won't like it. which is, of course, ok at this point.
Old 12-26-2012, 08:45 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

at a certain point i decide it doesn't fit - the meetings are too cliche, the books and sayings too trite, meditating is a pain, and the spiritual tones of the culture of recovery programs seem alienating
I can so relate. It was handy trick for me really....each time I proved that nothing worked I could just go back to fully embracing my addiction. WTF did it matter anyway, right?
If you haven't read the Rational Recovery book, it might be worth a read. Keep in mind that the addicted part of you will pooh-pooh it like it does everything else, but I would give it an honest hard read... more than once. If it's stupid and worthless, cool...but honestly what have you got to lose by reading it? I have my own opinions of the author (and yes it could be used as an excuse not to read it), but in your own words "the bottom line is that i don't have to like the solution, so long as it works." I'm not saying studying AVRT will "work" because I don't see things as "working on me" per se. I'm saying that new food for thought is always a good thing....especially for the starving. From what I've read of you...you will be one amazing woman once you end this for good. Which you will. xo