Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Am i drinking to much (yes i am) but is it hurting me?

Notices

Old 12-24-2012, 07:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello All

I have a question, if what i'm drinking is really that much, (I know it's ALOT) compared to 1 glass of red wine a day. but, compared to what you see in the movies, where people drink 4 bottles of whiskey a day.

I usually drink, 3 pints (1.6 liters of 12% strong beer) and 1.5 pints of red win 13%. and yes i know it's to much, it's just that i have to drink more to get the booze.

How will this affect my body, liver, kidneys, etc, I wake up every day with a dry mouth, and pain in my back (is my Kidneys). not really pain but like. untill i drink water.
Old 12-24-2012, 07:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You would have to ask a doctor, but I'm pretty sure if you're asking that question you already know the answer. Besides, as time passes you'll have to drink more and more to get loaded.
Old 12-24-2012, 07:25 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You are probably dehydrated and yes it is hurting you. Mixing the booze is probably what gives you that extra buzz.
Old 12-24-2012, 07:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
~sb

"it's just that i have to drink more to get the booze."

What's a standard drink? - Rethinking Drinking - NIAAA
Old 12-24-2012, 07:51 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

movies are fiction...I don't need to tell you that ...but really? does it matter what others drink Thingel?

I had guys who drank more than me, who still do, with apparently no ill effects - & I have friends who drank less, who died.

I really believe it's not how much you drink but what happens to you when you do...

I was drinking considerably less that 4 bottles of whiskey and on average more than you - I lost everything in my life - love, career, money, and health... and I nearly died.

It's not a comparative thing - if your drinking is concerning you enough to bring you here, it's probably time to do something about it, Thingel.

D
Old 12-24-2012, 07:59 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

but is it hurting me?
CDC - Fact Sheets-Alcohol Use And Health - Alcohol

D
Old 12-24-2012, 08:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
DOS: 11/6/10

Thingel,

With the logical part of your mind, must you wait until you have actual physical proof that you've harmed yourself? Wouldn't it be better to get off the speeding train before it hits the wall? Just my .02.
Old 12-24-2012, 08:51 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

thingel

it is difficult to briefly explain or predict the effects of alcohol on people. every one has different tolerance levels, slower/faster health effects. sort of like smoking, some people can smoke their entire lives and never get cancer, but some smoke 20 years and die of cancer. but i would go talk to your doctor and tell him your history, he/she will run a battery of test on you. alcohol abuse will more likely have long term damage to your liver, not really your kidneys.
Old 12-25-2012, 12:18 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

Is it hurting you? I'd say re read your opening post in which you describe how you feel when you drink...both physically and mentally I'd say, since your concern over things led you here.

In my experience, when people start combing the net for validation that maybe they aren't bad enough to have to quit, doing questionaires, on line tests, asking us if they have a drinking problem, they have a drinking problem.

This certainly was true of myself and many others I know. We were hoping someone would pat us on the back and say "no man, it's cool..now look at THAT guy, he's a REAL alcoholic, you're golden!"

but part of me was ALSO wishing that I'd find someone I could come clean to, who would help me get a handle on this thing, tell me there was hope and help me see my way out.

I stumbled on this site and that second thing I mentioned happened. It became crystal clear to me that my drinking/drugging was hurting me, that I was well on my way to being "THAT guy" and that there was a way out.
Old 12-25-2012, 10:47 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Yes, and it will eventually kill you. Good luck bud.
Old 12-25-2012, 12:43 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by Thingel View Post

I have a question, if what i'm drinking is really that much, (I know it's ALOT) compared to...
Don't compare your self to others. There are some drinkers that can drink twice as much as any of us and not have problems as a result of it. There are still others who can't drink half as much without serious consequences. The real questions you should be asking yourself are;

1. Do you drink more than you intend to?

2. Do you drink more often than you intend to?

3. Do you cause more trouble than you intend to?
Old 12-25-2012, 01:39 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

If you break it down to how most drinks are calculated with 3 pints coming out to 4 12oz beers, and factoring the alcohol content, it comes out to be about 9 drinks, then throwing the wine on top of that, you're at about 11-12 drinks which is a pretty big amount.

Also of course extending drinking in those levels are likely to cause health problems with everything from kidney issues, the brain, stomach, liver, pretty much everything.

Though simple bloodwork can check most everything to make sure everything is looking ok or not.
Old 12-25-2012, 01:47 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=Threshold;373

"no man, it's cool..now look at THAT guy, he's a REAL alcoholic, you're golden![/QUOTE]

Where were you when I was looking for EXACTLY that answer!!

Great Line: Threshold
Old 12-25-2012, 01:50 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Alcohol does nothing good for your body. The second it touches one of your cells on your lips it is hurting them.

if you want to have a severely weakened immune system which opens you up to diseases then keep drinking. If you want to strengthen your immune system then stop drinking.
Old 12-25-2012, 05:54 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hey all, ty for all the replies i read them all and 1st time today i drove past the liqor store and did not stop to buy anything, i felt guilty that i did not buy anything, now i'm happy i did it, altho i can't sleep.

Tomorrow is a new day lets hope i dont tell myself, "well you did not drink last night so why not celebrate that today with some beer".

But i'm sure i can do it.
Old 12-25-2012, 07:55 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

every great revolution starts with some small action Thingel
good for you

D
Old 12-25-2012, 07:58 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Trudger of Happy Destiny

Great job Thingel. It's definitely not easy, that's for sure. Stay strong. Maybe dive into a recovery program?
Old 12-26-2012, 04:23 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Fellow Traveler and Seeker

Tomorrow is a new day lets hope i dont tell myself, "well you did not drink last night so why not celebrate that today with some beer".

But i'm sure i can do it.
King Alcohol likes to whisper sweet nothings in our ears..like "this time it will be different" or "you're just overreacting, it's not that bad" or "see? Two days without drinking...you're not an alcoholic! Let's go to the liquor store".

That sure happened to me until I couldn't do it any more, until I was broken.

Start with just this one day.
Old 12-29-2012, 05:06 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hello All

I have a question, if what i'm drinking is really that much, (I know it's ALOT) compared to 1 glass of red wine a day. but, compared to what you see in the movies, where people drink 4 bottles of whiskey a day.

I usually drink, 3 pints (1.6 liters of 12% strong beer) and 1.5 pints of red win 13%. and yes i know it's to much, it's just that i have to drink more to get the booze.

How will this affect my body, liver, kidneys, etc, I wake up every day with a dry mouth, and pain in my back (is my Kidneys). not really pain but like. untill i drink water.
I'm guessing you're young and already having health issues. I drank around 12 beers a day for 30 years. I had blood drawn my 3rd day of detox and was shocked it came back normal. I was lucky! If you're feeling pain right now you won't make it that long IF you continue to drink.
Old 12-30-2012, 07:29 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

It will. Just wait.