Notices

The call of the beast.

Old 12-24-2012, 10:21 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The call of the beast.

Bloody loud at this time of year, and i'm afraid to say irresistable for me. Still i did two months.:ghug3 I am going to get through this festive period with hopefully no real damage done, and get back on the wagon in 2013. Hope you all are stronger than me and have a great Christmas and New Year. Fantastic site. All the very best to everyone.
Old 12-24-2012, 12:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Nineteen67 View Post
I am going to get through this festive period with hopefully no real damage done, and get back on the wagon in 2013.
I don't know what your relapse history is, but I've seen many posts from SR members who intend to drink then get right back into recovery...

...and are never heard from again.

So while getting back on the wagon is your intention, what is your addiction's intention?
Old 12-24-2012, 12:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

You are stronger and smarter than your alcohol addicted pleasure drive. You can make the call this second, right now, immediately, to put all the shame and guilt and anxiety and depression and sickness and despair, all of it, behind you. Today can be the day you stopped drinking, and a fine choice it is too.

The beast of addictive urging is helpless, it can't drink by itself, it can't even make the decision to drink. That power belongs to our thinking mind, the one with hopes and dreams and self respect.

Believe you can quit, and then you will be able to quit. Convince yourself that you can do this, and you will succeed. Just remember that any doubt is just that beast again. You deserve a sober life and your own measure of peace and joy, it is all yours for the taking.
Old 12-24-2012, 01:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I have to agree with Carl - I was talking about this with Mrs Dee last night...

whenever I said I'll just drink for Xmas I usually stopped again by March/April, in a good year.

Thats not a joke btw.

I hope you'll reconsider Nineteen67.

D
Old 12-24-2012, 01:13 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Notice the advice being given by those who know as opposed to the intentions of someone who doesn't. I am confident in that statement. Carl is dead on as is Dee. The statistics for us are damn poor nineteen. Few make it with the best of intentions and yours seem a bit weak at this point. Reasons to drink or drug NEVER EVER stop coming around. What the hell is Christmas? National drinking day? What about your birthday, your sister's birthday, Easter and on and on........
Old 12-24-2012, 01:21 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Bloody loud at this time of year, and i'm afraid to say irresistable for me. Still i did two months.:ghug3 I am going to get through this festive period with hopefully no real damage done, and get back on the wagon in 2013. Hope you all are stronger than me and have a great Christmas and New Year. Fantastic site. All the very best to everyone.

Thanks for the good wishes to all of us; you are important too.

Best to extend that 2 months now; otherwise (2nd best) make day 1 Dec 26.
Old 12-24-2012, 01:43 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I share your hope that you do no real damage to yourself. But even more that you do no real damage to others during this festive period.

The truth is that hope all but vanishes whenever an alcoholic drinks again. As much as you can, keep yourself away from innocents while you make yourself sick again.
Old 12-24-2012, 01:59 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Trudger of Happy Destiny

Hey there. You are playing with fire. I was never able to stop after my "last hoorah" as planned. It was usually another excuse to keep the party going. I had already started, might as well make it count, right? Very dangerous game to play.

I wish you nothing but the best and please know we will all be here regardless of what you choose to do. I personally know hearing things like I said above really didn't make any difference to me. I had already made the decision in my mind.

I am very grateful that today I realize I do not even have to put myself in the position to drink or not. I have been placed in a position of neutrality.
Old 12-24-2012, 05:09 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
High on Life

You have to want sobriety more than you want to drink or use, it's that simple. No special tricks to it. Today I went to my friend's house to feed the cats and there were 2 full bottles of Vicodin sitting in the drawer, one of my many drugs of choice. The old me would have quickly taken some out, especially during this festive time of the year. But I don't want that life anymore and I know how the tape plays out. It starts great and end tragically. For me, sober is the only way to live.
Old 12-24-2012, 05:16 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Fellow Traveler and Seeker

So what is going to happen when the next holiday, whatever one it is, comes up? Being chained to "festive" occasions to drink is a path that is littered with danger. For alcoholics like us, "no real damage" is usually fraught with some kind of problems. To me, "no real damage" would have meant not killing someone in a drunk driving accident or not having a heart attack or something.

I hope you can one day see how festive these holidays can be without alcohol. It truly is a different, and much better, experience.
Old 12-24-2012, 10:21 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone, i'm just kidding myself aren't i? I have screwed up, i will be back though. I read this site, Alan Carr's book and the AVRT site every day. Have a good one everyone, you are all fantastic people .