Notices

Resentment and The Holidays

Old 12-23-2012, 02:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Resentment and The Holidays

I'm spending the week with my wife's family, trying to make a good impression and that. But they all drink some beers play board games, xbox and the like.. my wife is sensitive to my sobriety but doesn't want it to be shared knowledge with her family (ashamed of me perhaps) , so I just told them I've been having some issues with my gut, which seemed to keep them from offering a drink. Still I'm angry with myself and lack of control, which keeps me from being a part of the cheers and laughs.

I have nearly four months sober and this is my first holiday as such. I'm really struggling rationalizing my thoughts and cravings, and cannot go to a meeting as I have no car rental and can't disappear for several hours.. anyone care to kick some sense into me?
Old 12-23-2012, 02:44 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

stop being angry at yourself and stop resenting others for doing stuff you know you cannot do would be my advice.

Seriously - count your blessings - it's Christmas, you're there with your wife, I presume your health is pretty good...you've made a really really great decision in your life.

A lot of folks here would like to be you, y'know?

Life's too short to sit there being p*ssed off at it - thats not what we got sober for either, right?

go play some xbox dude

Merry Christmas
D
Old 12-23-2012, 02:51 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Celtic12 View Post
Still I'm angry with myself and lack of control, which keeps me from being a part of the cheers and laughs.
Being sober doesn't exclude you from having a good time. But your anger and resentment does. It's the holidays. Enjoy.
Old 12-23-2012, 02:59 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

I tend to think going with the truth is the best course of action in all situations, the exception being those situations where disclosure would hurt someone. I’m not sure how disclosure would hurt anyone here (aside from some possible “saving face” for your wife). Seems to me it would afford you a certain amount of accountability, as well as allow you to go to a meeting. Both would seem to be in your best interest. Perhaps you could persuade her in a brief private conversation. If not perhaps you can learn the cause of her reluctance to disclose this.

Things are what they are. Facing them squarely is no cause to be angry. Sounds like you have been doing a good job of that for 4 months now.
Old 12-23-2012, 09:05 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I appreciate all the responses, made it through the night and am in high spirits for this Christmas Eve. Yesterday was certainly the most challenging day of my sobriety.
Old 12-23-2012, 11:00 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
~sb

And you made it through that difficult day, now you can make it through ANY difficult day!

Congratulations! and Merry Christmas!