Notices

Alcohol, diaxepam and kindling

Old 12-22-2012, 02:55 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Alcohol, diaxepam and kindling

Has anyone noticed or have any comments on diazepam after heavy alcohol consumption, and kindling?

I have been drinking for 30 years, heavily and daily about 5 years in my 30’s, then heavily again for a couple of years in my 40’s. About 3 years ago I decided for health reasons to cut my drink down, and for 3 years I’ve been drinking 3 to 4 days a week, with one big day a week, (big day is one to two bottles of wine). Also 3 years ago I was prescribed diazepam and it didn’t take long before I worked out that if I woke in the middle of the night, after a my big drinking day, that quarter to a whole diazepam would relieve the symptoms. I was careful and for three years and I used diazepam no more than once a week, no more than one tablet, (10mg) and only in the middle of the night after the alcohol had dropped.

Then about a month ago I decided to stop the once a week diazepam. The first night after my weekly binge was horrific; I thought my heart was going to burst out of my chest. I had to give in and take diazepam. The next day I read about kindling and was scared, so I decided to reduce my binge to one bottle of wine, spread over 5 hours, (which seems not too bad compared to what I've been capable of in the past). Again I woke in the middle of the night with my heart pounding and having had a very vivid scary dream.

I think I have symptoms of repeated withdrawals from my once a week binge, (kindling), which possibly the diazepam has either masked, reduced or even increased.

Has anyone else noticed anything like this?
Thanks!
Old 12-22-2012, 05:30 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
~sb

Why not talk with your doctor about detoxing from both alcohol and diazepam? It just sounds like a heart attack waiting to happen here.
Old 12-22-2012, 07:06 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I was an alcohol and Valium addict for years (Valium from 1974 to 1989 when I went to recovery). Booze from 1959 to 1989.

My recovery began in a 90 day in-patient rehab in 1989, then straight into AA.

I had began to taper off Valium under Dr's supervision in April '89 and had quit drinking in April as well. There were ~weekly visits to the ER as I was experiencing severe bouts of dread and heart symptoms where they would give me Ativan and finally, in a suicidal despair, submitted to the 90 day rehab in July '89.

The recovery home I went to is a no-med spiritually based facility which was run by a Priest. My recovery began there and carried on into AA.

That is/was my experience. I will try to answer any questions you may have if you wish to PM me.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 01-05-2013, 01:52 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
...than never

I have experienced a few varieties of withdrawals and for my money the diazepines are the worst. There are a myriad of different diazepines from Valium to Clonopin, but they all do the same thing to me...make me sleep no matter what the external stimulus is...amazing since I am a very light sleeper usually.

But that easy sleep comes at a steep price, one that I discovered that I was totally unable to pay. Withdrawal from diazepines was a nightmare. Constant headache, inability to sleep, and strong feelings of impending doom ran rampant. I shun the diazepines now.
Old 01-05-2013, 01:55 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Eliz. Yes, the racing heart and the early morning (like 3am) wake up - glad I'm putting it behind me!
Old 01-05-2013, 08:07 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Definitely had similar experiences to everyone else. In the past 2 years or so I have had long daily streaks for months then quit for a week or so and I have definitely seen the kindling effect. The first time I "quit" I felt sort of up, maybe a bit manic, but very very subtle. After 3 or 4 "quits" I had nausea, feeling shaky but not visibly shaky, bad headache and basically figure this was kindling in action.

As for the benzos I played that game a few times but the withdrawal was horrible. There is no hangover cure for me like a benzo of any kind but the eventual hangover after those wore off was just exponentially worse.
Old 01-05-2013, 09:18 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I would talk to your doctor about Valium withdrawal. problems normally occur from daily use over long periods, so I don't know if using it once a week could create your problems.
Old 01-06-2013, 11:57 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

l did alcohol and then oxazepam to get rid of the affects the next day.
In no time l was using 4 oxazepam to get to work in the morning.
Soon found out that a benzo with a drink made me feel..well, you know.
It is a deadly combination.
The things l did under influence of that.
l think detoxing fron benzo's is about as bad as getting off herione.