Notices

Day One for me

Old 12-18-2012, 04:38 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day One for me

Well, after making it to many times to the afternoon or evening and then doing it again, I have day one in the books and starting day two. Can't remember that last time this has happened. I am keeping a journal of how I am feeling physically and mentally for these first few days. As much as I would like to go out and get a shiny new liver and whatever other parts I have damaged and continue, this has to stop for the sake of my health, my marriage, my kids and my job. More than enough reasons there. But, 30 years of abusing myself, ends now. It's funny, I have read about the taper off situation and many of these times, I would go all day, get a bottle and think, just one rocks glass. Everytime, this means finishing the bottle. What's the definition of insanity we keep hearing about so much these days....

I will check back in a couple of days or if I feel I need some help.

Thank you all for your stories/posts. I do think they help with what I have been going through. It's a special kind of hell for the drunk that can still mostly keep it together. I want to give my family a sober me for Christmas this year.

Last edited by Dee74; 12-18-2012 at 01:15 PM.
Old 12-18-2012, 05:06 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congrats on day one. I also drank about 30 years. I started every day saying I'm not going to drink today,until about lunch time. When I would start to lean the other way. By 5 O-clock I always gave in. Tapering off did nothing for me. It was all or nothing. It takes a lot of determination and persistance to "make it"
But the way to do it is one day at a time. Focus on staying sober right now. Tomorrow doesn't matter. Convince yourself that drinking just isn't an option. That little voice in your head might as well forget it.
If you put together a bunch of "days". They turn into weeks,then months,then years. But today is the only one that matters for now.
I have put together a string of days that comes to almost 4 years. (proof it can be done).
I wish you the best
Fred
Old 12-18-2012, 05:52 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by rockindog View Post
Why not check in multiple times a day, every day? We can't help with support if you are posting once a month, once every couple of months with a new "Day one" entry.

I understand you are adverse to AA. Fine. Pick something else. Avail yourself to the collective wisdom of SR.

Just don't drink.
Old 12-18-2012, 06:57 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I am also a member of the 30 year club. We're the overachievers of addiction :-)

What got me through the worst: I will not drink today and I am doing this only for myself.

The ownership part was very helpful to me.
Old 12-18-2012, 07:22 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

rockn
congrats on day one. i started day one 11 days ago and descovered it is difficult but i can do it. i wanted to quit for the same reason, my health, family, career and well being. you can do it!
Old 12-18-2012, 10:22 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Dog, I can check in more often, just don't want to be a pest or a whiner. I realize that I have to do this. No one else can do it for me. A friend of mine who has been sober for about three years has said he just gets up and asks the question, is it more important to drink or not drink today. Not drink has been the answer. I feel pretty good so I will check in tonight with what will be a good report. I am reading various books and intend to give AVRT a try.

Thank you.
Old 12-18-2012, 10:55 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Dog, I can check in more often, just don't want to be a pest or a whiner.
I rather see you post every day, even if you're whining, if it keeps you sober. And I doubt anyone will think you are a pest.

Consider joining the class of December. Like-minded folks who quit in December and are on this journey together. Lots of support.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-part-2-a.html
Old 12-18-2012, 10:59 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Done. Thanks. And of course, the title of this little thread is missing a 1.
Old 12-18-2012, 01:17 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

not any more

I agree with Carl - SR is built on people reading and posting as much as they like, or need to - *noones* a pest or a whiner....

that might be your addictive side trying to talk you out of getting help & making progress rockindog?

D
Old 12-18-2012, 10:36 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Day 2 done and going to bed. This is a first in over two years. Hello day 3.
Old 12-18-2012, 10:39 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Great. Keep going. Post as much as you like, especially over the Christmas period. We're right here with you.
Old 12-19-2012, 04:04 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Congratulations on deciding you want to live your life without alchohal. Im new here and recently made the same choice. The support from this site has been really helpfull. All the best to you.
Old 12-19-2012, 04:34 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Congrats on day 3!
Hope you are feeling well.(shh there is a special thread just for whining...just light banter, you are welcome to join in)
Old 12-19-2012, 07:58 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Not really having major withdrawal issues. Kind of grumpy. I am anyway. Taking some meds, drinking water and taking some vitamins. Had a good visit with a friend last night who became sober two years ago, although, he did not have the length or severity of my drinking problem, but good support nonetheless. Off to work and then to see my youngest get admitted to national honor society tonight. I have a concert tonight and I will be the DD. I do think I can do this without drink. I will post when I get home tonight.

Happy Wednesday everyone.
Old 12-19-2012, 08:25 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Well done.
Old 12-19-2012, 08:30 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Well, after making it to many times to the afternoon or evening and then doing it again, I have day one in the books and starting day two. Can't remember that last time this has happened. I am keeping a journal of how I am feeling physically and mentally for these first few days. As much as I would like to go out and get a shiny new liver and whatever other parts I have damaged and continue, this has to stop for the sake of my health, my marriage, my kids and my job. More than enough reasons there. But, 30 years of abusing myself, ends now. It's funny, I have read about the taper off situation and many of these times, I would go all day, get a bottle and think, just one rocks glass. Everytime, this means finishing the bottle. What's the definition of insanity we keep hearing about so much these days....

Thank you all for your stories/posts. I do think they help with what I have been going through. It's a special kind of hell for the drunk that can still mostly keep it together. I want to give my family a sober me for Christmas this year.
You can do this, but remember no one can do this kind of thing alone. Whether it is rehab, a detox center, AA, or through a church program, you should seek help I can personally vouch for AA as it is has pulled me through and taught me the skills to pull through on tough days! I am proud that you are wanting to give your family the best Christmas gift ever, and that is a healthier you! YOU CAN DO IT! You just have to work the proper steps and remember that it is all about one day at a time!

GOOD LUCK!
Old 12-19-2012, 09:42 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

So pleased to read this. Stick at it, you can do this! First few days are rough, so post on here as much as possible, call your sober friends. I didn't want to bother people, or talk to people at the start, but it really is the best thing. Especially for encouragement. Good luck!
Old 12-19-2012, 11:17 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Not really having major withdrawal issues. Kind of grumpy. I am anyway. Taking some meds, drinking water and taking some vitamins. Had a good visit with a friend last night who became sober two years ago, although, he did not have the length or severity of my drinking problem, but good support nonetheless. Off to work and then to see my youngest get admitted to national honor society tonight. I have a concert tonight and I will be the DD. I do think I can do this without drink. I will post when I get home tonight.

Happy Wednesday everyone.
Hi rockindog,

Think how proud you can be, not only of your sons acomplishment, but also yours. Just remember to take it one day at a time, don't allow future thinking .

My addiction counselor asked me to try for seven days (until our next apt). Nothing more, just the 7 days--that seemed reasonable, but taking it day by day instead of thinking in the long term really helped me prove I could do without alcohol for 7 days. I came back to her ready to prove I did it so Now I can go back to drinking since I was able to give it up for 7 days........
She said why not go 7 more days, and frankly by that time some of the craving had dissapated, so I went 7 more days--one day at a time--I have never taken a drink since.

You know what it like when you have a roller for painting. You want to use it to change to a lighter color?? You have to keep washing and washing to get ALL the previous dark color completely out before you can start new? Well think of you needing to get your system totally washed out before you can start over.

Be proud you can actually be a DD, bet you never thought that would happen. Keep us posted , especially the fiirst few weeks. There is not a poster here that doesn't want to see you progress to a sober life.

Stay Strong
TrixMixer
Old 12-19-2012, 11:09 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

It is midnight and home from the show. Zappa does Zappa. Man, what a band. Four ice waters with lemon and nice to drive home carefree. I guess Day 4 has now begun.

Thank you all again for the positive thoughts. I think they are helping.

Good Night all.
Old 12-20-2012, 06:54 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Glad you were able to make it to a show without drinking.

I couldn't do it. Live music at the venue here in town was a huge trigger for me, as I always got wasted at concerts. Haven't been to see a show since I got sober, but am considering going in February.

Continued success!