Notices

Day One for me

Old 12-20-2012, 06:59 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

hey Rockingdog, I'm so glad you are doing this for yourself but also for all the other items you listed. Christmas will be here soon so keep up the good work. I'm looking forward to my first Xmas sober in years too. Let's enjoy it!
Old 12-20-2012, 03:07 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Dog, I went to a fondu get together with some friends a few weeks ago. 4 couples. 6 got sloshed. Myself and the gal who was pregnant did not. I figured, that way, my wife could have a few glasses of wine and I could drive home. Was OK, but I was kind of bored. I waited until we got home to dive in. This week, I have told myself that's it. I can't buy a bottle, expect to just have a few shots and then put it down. I don't put it down until the bottle is ready for the garbage. I want to drink, but I will not. I have to get several days of sobriety under my belt and get out of the detox timeframe, I believe, so that I can then move on. Next week I will see my doc, get bloodwork and see where I stand other than just having to stop. I had no trouble last night at the show and no one I was with got hammered. It will just have to be a process to learn how to live sober. And now the hard word, forever.
Old 12-21-2012, 05:53 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by rockindog View Post
Dog, I went to a fondu get together with some friends a few weeks ago. 4 couples. 6 got sloshed. Myself and the gal who was pregnant did not. I figured, that way, my wife could have a few glasses of wine and I could drive home. Was OK, but I was kind of bored. I waited until we got home to dive in. This week, I have told myself that's it. I can't buy a bottle, expect to just have a few shots and then put it down. I don't put it down until the bottle is ready for the garbage. I want to drink, but I will not. I have to get several days of sobriety under my belt and get out of the detox timeframe, I believe, so that I can then move on. Next week I will see my doc, get bloodwork and see where I stand other than just having to stop. I had no trouble last night at the show and no one I was with got hammered. It will just have to be a process to learn how to live sober. And now the hard word, forever.
Just remember RD---FOREVER is not a term we alcoholics should ever use when working on sobriety. One day at a time, hour by hour....if I EVER thought getting the alcohol out of my system was FOREVER I would have never been able to do it. Tell yourself It is just until you get clean, and by the time you get clean you will have already been living without the alcohol, it will be out of your system, and the chance for a"forever" without alcohol might not seem so hard to deal with. You will surprise yourself. At least that is what worked for me.
Old 12-21-2012, 08:32 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I think the term forever comes from the limited reading I have done with AVRT and also Alllen Carr's book. But, at the end of the day, given my history, drinking again really isn't an option for me. Day 5 today. I have been taking Clonazepam, as prescribed by my doc in low to moderate doses based upon he prescription and the stuff wipes me out. AFter 5 days and no real anxiety/shakes, I think I will taper down the next few days and get off of it. At that point, detox should pretty be over for me. I ain't lyin', I sure would like a drink.

Headed to the mtns for a few days and will check back in Christmas eve.
Old 12-21-2012, 05:13 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

Originally Posted by rockindog View Post
I realize that I have to do this. No one else can do it for me.

Very true, but remember, you don't have to do it alone.