Notices

Michael Z's weekly quote

Old 12-17-2012, 09:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Michael Z's weekly quote

Quote of the Week:

"Learning to live life one day at a time..."

My girlfriend went into her office a couple hours late today because of an early doctor's appointment and found that 14 people in her department had been laid off that morning. I'm home recovering from a gallbladder operation and may need an additional three surgeries - painful ones at that - for other things. It's easy to get overwhelmed with what's going on in the world and in our lives, and that's when I remember that I can get through anything as long as I take it one day at a time.

It didn't always used to be like this. Before I had the tools of the program, even the smallest things would overwhelm me. I constantly lived in a state of anxiety and when something did happen, panic wasn't far behind. I have a mind that is good at painting dark scenarios, and I have lived each imagined one to its bitter end. My life used to be pretty unmanageable.

One of the gifts of recovery has been learning to live in the present. When I can keep my mind in the same place as my feet, then I always find I'm alright. I'm taken care of; I have everything I need; I'm safe, and I can even find things to be grateful for. Once I focus my attention on what is happening now, I can even experience the peace and joy in my life that is always present when I acknowledge them.

And it all comes from learning to live one day at a time.
Old 12-17-2012, 10:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thanks for this, 2granddaughters. It's a skill I've been working hard at but it has been tricky because when I think of now, my mind tries to think of every aspect of 'now', so if I just look at my feet, then I see where I am haha! Very useful!

And indeed right now I'm lucky enough to have everything I need.