Notices

Overcoming my addiction - 1 week sober

Old 12-16-2012, 11:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Overcoming my addiction - 1 week sober

Hello guys!

First I'd like to thank you for this great forum, very useful information here

Just something quick about my alcohol abuse. Had some problems in life, some anxiety issues etc. (maybe we can get deeper in to that later) which was definitely the trigger to drinking more and more. I am 25, last 2 years heavy drinker, tried few times to be sober. Withdrawals were hard, so sometimes I would make only two days sober, sometimes 2 weeks... but every time i got back to the bottle. This time I decided it's going to be the last time, so I gathered some info here and there, and decided to go for it. About 1 month before quitting I started to use multivitamin, B1 (Thiamine), B-Complex and milk thistle. Almost impossible to overdose on these, but definitely better to consult with your doctor (which I obviously did not). Maybe these helped, because my withdrawal was pretty much easier than previous ones.

I'd like to quickly talk about my withdrawal, it might be useful for someone in the future. During the whole week I used dietary supplements above (Centrum multivitamin, B1, B-Complex and milk thistle - again I suggest to consult this with your doctor)

DAY 1
Mainly physical, upset stomach, heart racing, very shaky, when trying to sleep random spasms in arms and legs, liver pain (scary), a lot of pains over the body, but I guess I was in pain before and it was just clouded by alcohol.
Almost none psychical issues, just anxiety and scared, because i knew what will come later. Obviously unable to sleep.

DAY 2
After sleepless night I had breakfast, got little better. After while headaches, itchy, sweating and smelling like sewer (god if I smelled like this the whole time when I was drinking :/ ), very oily skin (especially face, toxins coming out probably) confused, unable to think, no short term memory, having at least 4 showers a day, helps very much. Extra sensitive to sounds and having mild hallucinations during day.
Went to library for some books I needed to study for college, almost **** myself there (figuratively - scared of people and literally - got crazy stomach pain and diarrhea).
Night was a horror... hearing things, seeing things, had some panic attacks, that someone is in room and tries to kill me. Unable to close eyes, too many non sense images transforming into super scary stories.

DAY 3
almost the same as day 2, little better, thankfully I was able to eat since day 1 without vomitting or extreme diarrhea. I was eating a LOT. 1 small dinner a day on alcohol, 3 huge meals a day sober plus large platter of vegetables etc.
Still insomniac slept about 2 hours in 80hrs.

DAY 4
physical symptoms very mild except from shaking. Having appointment with doctor concerned about insomnia etc. Got prescribed Zolpidem for sleep and got confirmed, that using above written supplements and vitamins is ok. Next appt psychiatrist, prescribed bromazepam for anxiety (not to combine with zolpidem). Got very good sleep in the evening after zolpidem, because I had to wake up very soon on day 5, because I went to college to take some exams.

DAY 5-7
physical symptoms none, using bromazepam according as instructed, feeling great.
Took 3 exams in college, 2 were great, 1 not so good. Anyway my essays etc. were okay, so I will hopefully make it to next semester.

Maybe the post is little confused, but I just wanted to share

Probably going to cancel New Years party I was going to make...

Sorry for my english guys
Old 12-16-2012, 04:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congrats on your sober week! You're doing it!
Old 12-16-2012, 05:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Very good, just! Congratulations to you!
Old 12-16-2012, 06:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congratulations...thank you for sharing your experience.
Old 12-16-2012, 07:06 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Colts!

Congrats man, onto day 8!
Old 12-16-2012, 08:45 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Fellow Traveler and Seeker

Man that takes me back...those symptoms. Yikes.

Glad you made it through all of that. I had the audio and visual hallucinations too - creepy and terrifying. Great that you spoke to your doctor before and during this.

Congrats on a week of sobriety!
Old 12-16-2012, 10:55 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yep, went through all of that.

Just keep going mate.

I am on day 30 now, and am finding things a bit easier. The symptoms do come and go still, but not as harsh as they first were. My skin is better, etc., I suppose it is just a waiting game for my liver to slowly sort itself out.

Keep at it and stay off the drink. You will be fine, and you will do it.

Cheers
Old 12-17-2012, 01:11 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I always had the itching, but not this time anymore. It's probably the vitamins, because I read somewhere, that (i don't know how to call it exactly) "flash itching" is from your central nervous system reactivating and firing signals to the nerve endings.

Also might be helpful - about the smelly oily skin and sweat - someone recommended to use baking soda as a scrub, it's rough enough to clean the skin, but gentle enough to not hurt your skin... did it twice a day and worked perfectly.

Can't post URLs yet, so just google "baking soda withdrawal smell"
Old 12-17-2012, 03:13 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I have no idea if I smelled or not (probably did, to be honest), but the way I dealt with it was to just wash a bit more than normal and drink a hell of a lot of water.

Thinking back to my first few days, it certainly was touch and go; I think the adrenaline kicking in at the prospect of having to 'go it alone' from then on balanced the overall feeling of death quite well. I was definitely running on fumes for a while.

Glad you are still with us and sticking to the plan.

Good work.
Old 12-17-2012, 03:53 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Fellow Traveler and Seeker

Hopefully you won't need to take the sleeping pills any more soon. Insomnia is a very common side effect of detoxing. I was up for days. But there is something to be said about getting to sleep naturally.
Old 12-17-2012, 04:17 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks for the information...i am just starting the journey and appreciate the info on what maybe to expect
Old 12-17-2012, 04:59 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by paul99 View Post
Hopefully you won't need to take the sleeping pills any more soon. Insomnia is a very common side effect of detoxing. I was up for days. But there is something to be said about getting to sleep naturally.
Had only one (Zolpidem), not using it anymore. I only take now those anxiety pills (Bromazepam). They are used for anxiety and to treat symptoms which are linked to anxiety - insomnia, headaches, digestive problems and also alcoholic withdrawal symptoms. It's safe to use them for about 3 months straight under supervision (with low risk of addiction), would like to stop using them after month or two.
Old 12-17-2012, 07:49 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Day 8 sober, Day 1 in the gym. Gained about 40 pounds this year, so another goal along with sobriety is to get in shape! If everything goes ok I am going to try light cardio in the morning and some core excercises in the evening 5 times a week. Feeling great so far
Old 12-18-2012, 07:36 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

You are healing...your feeling things now...that is great
Old 12-20-2012, 11:16 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Day 12, still very tired, but able to sleep. I wake up at least once every night. Trying to workout a lot so I bought a new indoor cycling bike to have my everyday cardio, hoping to lose about 20 pounds in January. I have to study a lot for college but I am still unable to concentrate at all, so it's hard to remember anything. Went to the cinema yesterday, which was nice
Old 12-21-2012, 12:02 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Congratulations!!!
Keep it Up.
Old 12-21-2012, 03:27 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Colts!

Originally Posted by justanother1 View Post
Day 12, still very tired, but able to sleep. I wake up at least once every night. Trying to workout a lot so I bought a new indoor cycling bike to have my everyday cardio, hoping to lose about 20 pounds in January. I have to study a lot for college but I am still unable to concentrate at all, so it's hard to remember anything. Went to the cinema yesterday, which was nice
Don't overdo the exercise. Make sure you're eating well and not starving yourself. 20 lbs in a month is a lot. Also, the bike is a good idea. Sometimes overweight running can tear up knees. I'd suggest a fitness website for that side of things. This forum is great for my recovery help, but maybe not the best place for investment, fitness, or PS3 discussion.

Not that there won't be some knowledgeable people, just saying you don't go to a fitness forum for advice on sobriety, so the reverse might not work either.

Two pennies.
Old 12-21-2012, 11:38 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bnstphnsn View Post
Don't overdo the exercise. Make sure you're eating well and not starving yourself. 20 lbs in a month is a lot. Also, the bike is a good idea. Sometimes overweight running can tear up knees. I'd suggest a fitness website for that side of things. This forum is great for my recovery help, but maybe not the best place for investment, fitness, or PS3 discussion.

Not that there won't be some knowledgeable people, just saying you don't go to a fitness forum for advice on sobriety, so the reverse might not work either.

Two pennies.
I used to play handball professionally for about 15 years, so I know, what I am capable of. I am eating well and excercising moderately. 20 pounds is a lot, but definitely doable. I am not seeking for advice in fitness, just informing about my progress but if someone wants to tell me something about excercising in first weeks of sobriety it's no problem for me
Old 12-22-2012, 01:31 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I am 25, last 2 years heavy drinker
I used to play handball professionally for about 15 years
So you were playing professional handball at the age of 10, and managed to maintain the final two years of that career whilst suffering from alcoholism?

Or, did you start drinking after your career ended, which means you were a professional handball player before you were 10 years old!?

Just messing with you It is really great that you are already thinking about exercise this early into your recovery.
Old 12-22-2012, 02:50 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ZombieAttack View Post
So you were playing professional handball at the age of 10, and managed to maintain the final two years of that career whilst suffering from alcoholism?

Or, did you start drinking after your career ended, which means you were a professional handball player before you were 10 years old!?

Just messing with you It is really great that you are already thinking about exercise this early into your recovery.
Started as a kid at 6 years old as I entered primary school. Peaked at about 15-16 when we won some major european tournaments with our team and I also played few matches for national team.