Notices

2 Months Sober!!!

Old 12-14-2012, 09:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Your Sober Friend

2 Months Sober!!!

I never thought I would make it this far and I'm really surprised to be honest. I'd like to say it's been easy, but it hasn't. At all. In fact, I almost blew it today.

I had the most incredible urge to drink at about 5 PM as I arrived to work and I legitimately was on the fence as to whether I should leave and find booze. My body began to shake and I began getting a terrible headache. It had seemed like I had lost every ounce of rationale I once had in regards to abstaining from the drink. On an average day, I'm not a very religious or spiritual person but I thought what the hell. So I said a very honest and to the point prayer praying that these obsessions would subside and that I could continue on with my day, sober. Anyway, to make a long story short I work at a movie theater and my responsibilities include cleaning. 30 minutes after I said this prayer a woman dropped a large soda on the floor in the middle of the lobby. I thought great, what a perfect way to start this day. Went over and began cleaning up the mess and the woman began apologizing and said "Ah I'm so sorry this is just not my day", me relating I instinctively said back "Yeah I'm with ya on that one". We began talking and I really opened up to her because I figured I had nothing to lose. Turns out, she's been sober herself for about 15 years and she could really relate to me in terms of how I was feeling. We talked for almost 20 minutes, while I was on the clock lol, and it helped incredibly. About an hour later my manager came over to me and gave me an envelope as he curiously said "yeah some woman just came in and dropped this off for you". I opened it up and it was a card which read "Sorry for spilling my drink, god works in mysterious ways Brian". (I never told her about my prayer) My urge to drink passed in about an hour and I cant thank God enough. I honestly don't think I'll ever forget this occurrence and for it to happen on my two month anniversary...I really have faith now.

Thank you all for your support, you've gotten me through some serious cravings whether it be the chat room or me just reading your posts, I truly thank this caring community. God bless you all. <3
Old 12-14-2012, 09:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

That is awesome!!!! And congrats on 60 days Brian, not an easy task at all.
Old 12-14-2012, 09:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations on 60 days Brian

I think it's the way we respond to the crazy thoughts that really defines our recovery - and today you did well.

Keep it up
D
Old 12-14-2012, 09:51 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

brian, good job, congratulations!!
Old 12-14-2012, 10:21 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

((Brian)) - Congratulations and thanks for the awesome post!

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 12-15-2012, 12:43 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Amazing. I know this word is used alot but it really is amazing
Old 12-15-2012, 01:26 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Impurrfect View Post
((Brian)) - Congratulations and thanks for the awesome post!

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Patches could be my Meezy's twin. Animals. Gotta luv em!

.....and :ghug3 Brian, 2 months is a BIG DEAL. Hope it gets a little easier each day.
Old 12-15-2012, 01:37 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Brian, 2 Months Sober!!! You are FANTASTIC. Congratulations and Merry Christmas.

Old 12-15-2012, 05:16 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Excellent. Two months is huge!
Old 12-15-2012, 05:17 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Congratulations!
Old 12-15-2012, 11:12 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Awesome story

Congrats on 60 Days... It gets better
Old 12-16-2012, 02:10 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Brian1 View Post
I never thought I would make it this far and I'm really surprised to be honest. I'd like to say it's been easy, but it hasn't. At all. In fact, I almost blew it today.

I had the most incredible urge to drink at about 5 PM as I arrived to work and I legitimately was on the fence as to whether I should leave and find booze. My body began to shake and I began getting a terrible headache. It had seemed like I had lost every ounce of rationale I once had in regards to abstaining from the drink. On an average day, I'm not a very religious or spiritual person but I thought what the hell. So I said a very honest and to the point prayer praying that these obsessions would subside and that I could continue on with my day, sober. Anyway, to make a long story short I work at a movie theater and my responsibilities include cleaning. 30 minutes after I said this prayer a woman dropped a large soda on the floor in the middle of the lobby. I thought great, what a perfect way to start this day. Went over and began cleaning up the mess and the woman began apologizing and said "Ah I'm so sorry this is just not my day", me relating I instinctively said back "Yeah I'm with ya on that one". We began talking and I really opened up to her because I figured I had nothing to lose. Turns out, she's been sober herself for about 15 years and she could really relate to me in terms of how I was feeling. We talked for almost 20 minutes, while I was on the clock lol, and it helped incredibly. About an hour later my manager came over to me and gave me an envelope as he curiously said "yeah some woman just came in and dropped this off for you". I opened it up and it was a card which read "Sorry for spilling my drink, god works in mysterious ways Brian". (I never told her about my prayer) My urge to drink passed in about an hour and I cant thank God enough. I honestly don't think I'll ever forget this occurrence and for it to happen on my two month anniversary...I really have faith now.

Thank you all for your support, you've gotten me through some serious cravings whether it be the chat room or me just reading your posts, I truly thank this caring community. God bless you all. <3

Before you went 2 months sober (btw, congrats) how much were you drinking a day. Were you wasting full bottles of hard liquor every single day? and how long have you been drinking prior to your being 2 month sober.

If you were a heavy hitter; my hats off to you. If you were just a soft, moderate drinker, well, I can understand how easy it was to just sober up.
Old 12-16-2012, 05:15 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Fellow Traveler and Seeker

That's a God Shot in my books.

Congrats and thanks for sharing that great story!
Old 12-16-2012, 05:23 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Congrats on the 60!
Old 12-16-2012, 05:27 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Well done Brian.
That is a lovely story.
You will have loads more of those experiences along the way.
You were nice to the lady and the lady was nice to you.
Lovely story.
Congratulations on 60 days.
Old 12-17-2012, 07:01 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Awesome, thank you for sharing!