Notices

how can i get day one

Old 12-14-2012, 09:10 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

how can i get day one

I just want to get 1 day without drinking , and get sober
Old 12-14-2012, 09:18 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I understand. That first day is tough. i had a LOT of first days, even a few weeks, until i finally went into treatment for three weeks and haven't had a drink since. That's what worked for me, but i know there are a lot of ways to get there. personally i believe a lot of it has to do with timing, and wanting it badly enough to do what it takes. For me, i had to "do the work" I hope you find what works for you! God Bless.
Old 12-14-2012, 09:22 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Make the choice not to drink for 24 hours, and make that choice again and again and again. You can do it.
Old 12-14-2012, 09:22 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I really had to force myself to stop drinking. It was getting ridiculous after years of supposed day ones! AVRT helped alot. Google the crash course. Also posting on here daily helped get me past day one too x
Old 12-14-2012, 09:32 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I found it helpful to be physically removed from alcohol for a while. I spent my first few weeks in a hospital and a treatment center. That helped a lot since I wasnt physically able to get my hands on any booze.
I wasn't ever able to choose not to drink for any considerable period of time. I had lost that choice. I made the decision several times to quit for the day only to find myself drinking within hours of making that decision.
I have found my answer through AA. Drinking or not drinking is not even a choice I have to make. The problem has been removed.

The first days are certainly not easy. Have you looked into AA in your area?
Old 12-14-2012, 12:53 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi alexo -

I'm not sure what kind of support you have or you've tried but I found SR really helped me get that day one...read around post and chat as much as you like...

D
Old 12-14-2012, 12:59 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by alexo View Post
I just want to get 1 day without drinking , and get sober
I went to 2 AA meetings yesterday and I didn't drink.

As bbthumper said, my recovery started in a 90 day rehab in 1989.

Go to your local AA meetings and meet the oldtimers there, ask them how they did it.

Getting sober my way didn't work. Getting sober the AA oldtimer's way did.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 12-14-2012, 01:19 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

My orginal sponsor had 34 years. I simply did not know what I did not know. He guided, pushed, pleaded, and forced me in down the right path. I thanked him on his 37th sobriety birthday and told him he had been partially responsible for saving my life.

Find a happy and serene old timer and do what they do and do what they say. I am alive today because of him.
Old 12-14-2012, 07:20 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I have been very involved in AA i have been sober for 1 or 2 months at a time but i cant get it. I want it to stick , i know the steps the big book, i go to meetings packed with old timers my dad has almost 40 yrs and he travels around the world as a circuit speaker, I dont want to be him i just want 24 hours I failed again today
Old 12-14-2012, 07:46 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

My drinking eventually lead to me losing my job and being broke so I didn't get 24 alcohol-free hours until I literally had no money. I had blown through my savings and maxed out my credit cards to the point where I couldn't even buy a loaf a bread if I wanted. That's what it took. I was living alone at the time and I knew that without any accountability I would just continue to drink anytime I had the money. I had to move back to my parents' house where they could 'supervise' me. From there, i went to rehab. You can't do it alone. Reach out to someone!
Old 12-14-2012, 07:52 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
~sb

step work takes action. find a sponsor and get honest with yourself.

drinking isn't an option today
Old 12-15-2012, 06:08 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

thank you all
Old 12-15-2012, 06:59 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by alexo View Post
I have been very involved in AA i have been sober for 1 or 2 months at a time but i cant get it. I want it to stick , i know the steps the big book, i go to meetings packed with old timers my dad has almost 40 yrs and he travels around the world as a circuit speaker, I dont want to be him i just want 24 hours I failed again today
Thank you for your reply. The picture is clearer now.

I met a Priest years ago at the meetings who worked in Rome at the Vatican. He said that he found a GOD that worked for him at the AA tables. When I read Chuck C's book "A New Pair of Glasses" I tried to imagine what it would be like to be Richard, you could likely tell me.

Yesterday, Dr Wayne Dyer was on PBS saying that he had been voted the #3 most spiritual man in the world (or something to that effect). He said he asked his ex-wife if she had ever imagined she would be in that high company (he said it quite tongue in cheek). She replied "I was not consulted on your merits ......"

I hope you are able to step out of your father's shadow and let the light of the 12 Steps fall on you as it would any other drunk who was working the program.

I was blessed with a fine sponsor in the beginning (before his sober death in 1997) and I just grabbed his shirttails and followed/rode him. He truly led me out of the shadows from 1989 to 1997 and allowed me to begin to work my own program.

All the best alexo. PM me if you wish.

Bob R
Old 12-15-2012, 10:44 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I don't know, but for me I just made the decision that I wasn't going to drink in this moment. I had craving and all the rest, but I just didn't drink now. And since it is always now, I quit drinking. I've been sober for two years this way. You've tried AA, now perhaps try something else. Rational Recover, SMART Recover, Lifering, or just stubbornly refusing to pick up that drink. I fond that reading and posting here really helped me.
Old 12-15-2012, 11:48 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

My drinking career scarily paralleled the "The Drunkard's Progress" pictured below from many years ago. Alcoholism hasn't changed much.

All the best.

Bob R