Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Going to miss meeting today.. Will not let it get me down

Notices

Old 12-14-2012, 08:21 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Today I will not have the opportunity to make it to a meeting. I was starting to feel a little anxious and down about it, but decided the best thing to do is take today as it comes and know tomorrow my schedule will be back to normal (will go to meeting). I have to realize that there will be times when things will not go according to my schedule and have the strength and faith in myself to get through them. I know that I counted on the alcohol as that crutch for a long time, and did not believe that I had it in me to make it through hard or stressful times without it, guess what I can and I will. I used to hate waking up in the morning and seeing myself in the mirror because I was so mad that I had let myself drink the night before and that would just bring me down and make me drink more (or want to ). Now when I wake up I feel great and know I have it in me to survive each and everyday from the strength I have in me. Sorry for this ramble hope you all have a great day.
Old 12-14-2012, 08:26 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
DAB

I have only missed one meeting in the past 13 months but I may miss an entire month soon due to traveling.
Good luck and stay strong!
Old 12-14-2012, 08:34 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
~sb

It's by working the steps of recovery that I have peace with me wherever I am.

Meetings don't keep me sober, they give me fellowship and a place to find others to help.

Don't rely on meetings, but do say some prayers.... and maybe a little meditation.....
Old 12-14-2012, 01:21 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

use the phone and the numbers ya got.
"practice these principles in all our afairs."
yup, the footwork takes place outside the meetings.
Old 12-14-2012, 01:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Fellow Traveler and Seeker

If meetings are the only thing that is keeping you afloat (for now), then I can see the distress of missing one. But if you're working the steps, have a sponsor and are connected to a HP, then missing a meeting isn't the end of the world. Life happens, and it's how we react to it that is important.

Alcoholics live outside the meetings too - hook up with one if it helps!
Old 12-14-2012, 01:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by nabb1 View Post
Now when I wake up I feel great and know I have it in me to survive each and everyday from the strength I have in me.
And you know where that strength/power came from......

My sponsor often says to Alkies "When you got into trouble did you ask God to help you"? And then he adds the clincher .. "Did you ever thank HIM ??"

All the best.

Bob R
Old 12-15-2012, 04:51 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your insight on my post. After reading what you all had say wow did it open eyes. I guess I had it in my mind that the meetings were the big picture in my keeping from not drinking, but after MUCH thought about it I now realize that it is the combination of everything in the program and how I work it that makes it work. Yesterday was not bad at all in fact I really did not give much thought to not going to the meeting throughout the day. I made it through the evening just fine, even with Fridays usually being somewhat of a trigger for me. I do know that God is helping me through all this and I thank him everyday for giving me the strength not to drink and waking up with a clear head and heart.
Old 12-15-2012, 01:47 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

God helps me as well, nabb1. Without God I wouldn't have seen 1990.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 12-15-2012, 03:04 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
High on Life

I haven't been to a meeting in over 2 months, you will be fine. Meetings don't keep you sober.