Notices

Question about withdrawal depression...

Old 12-14-2012, 12:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Question Question about withdrawal depression...

Off topic and not off topic ... question about depression and ... how quick your emotions can just flow. May be a spoiler for a movie here so be careful.

Anyone here see The Brave Little Toaster? *1987, animated film where these appliances go to find their master* Well, in actual cartoon/animated history The Brave Little Toaster has a scene in it where it's ARGUABLY the saddest and darkest of any cartoon ever made-

When the Toaster is running from some animals and separated from his companions, and gets near a tree with a ray of light on a nice flower...

The flower sees the silver like toaster, and sees itself, but not understanding reflection ... excuse me, it thinks it has finally found a ... friend since it's so far off and away from the other flowers and meadow-

However the Toaster runs away because the flower hugs it, and when the Toaster feels bad about doing so, it looks back through the bushes to see ... the flower curling up ... and dying, and then the Toaster walks away very sadly.

Why do I bring this up? Because I saw it only tonight that scene, 55 second dramatic scene, and I ended up crying for I quote, 2 hours. TWO- hours, that's one of the worst I ever had. I felt like I had a ROCK in my throat... anyone relate?
Old 12-14-2012, 12:53 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yes. Not to this specific movie but in general, facing and feeling emotions - naturally without alcohol. Pretty intense stuff. Refreshing too.
Old 12-14-2012, 08:07 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

The more we do it the better we get at it. I needed a lot of help in the beginning from the AA oldtimers/sponsor to keep going and stay focused.

I always thought I would go crazy or the feelings would never end. Both bad conclusions on my part. But natural conclusions for many alcoholics of my sort.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 12-14-2012, 08:36 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
~sb

it's okay to release feelings, emotions, hormones....

it's cathartic!
Old 12-14-2012, 12:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

But it was so terrible, 2 hours of down time... when I'm so used to UP time... ugh.
Old 12-14-2012, 01:53 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Fellow Traveler and Seeker

I've been known to tear up at a gum commercial...so don't sweat it. We wouldn't have tear ducts if we didn't need them. Such a part of being human...we spend too much time and effort bottling it up, to be tough and macho...nothing could be further from the truth.
Old 12-14-2012, 02:07 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

But my bottle is overflowed...
Old 12-14-2012, 06:48 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Sally1009

I still get choked when I see Walt Disney's Dumbo. In fact I can't watch it, the unbearable scene where the mother and baby elephant are separated.The motheris in a stall with bars like a prison, but she can just squeeze her trunk through the bars far down enough to rock her baby,and sing to him.
Torture. I take the coward's way out nowadays, I avoid thingsthatcause huge, messy emotions - just can't afford them. They say in AA toavoid anger at all cost- well I think they should put sadness there too, And we must remember these are just movingdrawings, written tomake you cry,and they usually end happily anyway.
Old 12-14-2012, 07:12 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Trudger of Happy Destiny

Yeah I can relate. My emotions are definitely still a little raw myself. I find myself getting choked up at something sappy on tv or a sappy song. I love it! I haven't felt this in a long time and its kind of like whoa, where did that come from?!
Old 12-15-2012, 12:21 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

My emotions of sadness are just really tipsy and out of control when I see those sad scenes and ... then eventually, deal with sad things in life.
Old 12-15-2012, 01:17 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Paulos View Post
Off topic and not off topic ... question about depression and ...

Why do I bring this up? Because I saw it only tonight that scene, 55 second dramatic scene, and I ended up crying for I quote, 2 hours. TWO- hours, that's one of the worst I ever had. I felt like I had a ROCK in my throat... anyone relate?

Hi Paulos.

Let's see I have walked out of "Return to the Planet of the Apes" because I was crying for the treatment of the apes. I was asked to leave at least 2 other movies Shawshank Redemption and Philadelphia because I was "sobbing"" so loudly and had NO tissues with me.

I tend to live my life only watching comedies and Sci-Fi. NO movies with animals in it, Even the Play "Cats", Memories Song?

In general Poignancy is a B---- for me, and I try and stay away from anything that comes close to making me cry because once I begin I can't stop.....or is that Alcoholism??? Maybe there is a genetic correlation,hmmmm, never thought of that.

I like to think of myself as a Pink and Purple striped smiley cat.

I don't even want to know what a shrink would have to say about my "crying condition" or the Smiley Cat AV... it is sad--really I am right there with you, Paulos.

Trix