Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Rejection makes me relapse. I woke up to rejection.

Notices

Rejection makes me relapse. I woke up to rejection.

Old 12-12-2012, 09:41 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I don't think people are blaming you. I think they're trying to point out that situations can "trigger" you to want to drink, but that you have the ability to choose not to. Just by you knowing rejection triggers you and you came here first instead of drinking is a sign that you're learning and starting to use some other coping mechanisms. So you should feel proud about that. Go for a walk/run. Listen to upbeat music. Don't listen to sad music. Make yourself some tea or bake something yummy. Anything to love yourself and pass the time. This is your one little life and absolutely nothing deserves to have the power to ruin your sobriety and everything you've learned and done. Hang in there.
Old 12-12-2012, 11:16 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Choublak you're probably right my nights were filled with over 100 texts to anf from this person and he filled the time I would be drinking with positive time. He would say things like "you are an alcoholic you know you aren't missing out on anything even though its a Friday night just talk to me forget the bar..".

I don't know how to cope. Plus the way he shot me down for another girl thru text then told me he doesn't want to hear about it if I'm upset just to stop texting was rude.

I'm in early sobriety and everything is so confusing. I don't know how to take care of me. All my friends are gone now absolutely will not go back to drinking friends. Yes this was my boss but he is a year younger.
Old 12-12-2012, 11:31 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Everything has been said by others...

My take. You are better then him, YOU deserve better, I am also dealing with heartbreak at the same time... I know, and YOU know you are worth more, more then the addiction and people like that in your life. Build yourself, stronger, healthier, and let everyone else go. New will come, friends that are sober
Old 12-12-2012, 11:49 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I understand how you are feeling, but let me see if I can explain this. No one is blaming you, but what stood out reading your posts is you are giving other people power over whether or not you will drink. Go back and read what you are writing.
Even the headline, rejection makes me relapse.
If I felt that way, I am certain I would relapse.
So, consider for a moment, a slight shift in thinking.
Rejection makes me feel like drinking. I don't know what your recovery entails, but I might say, when I feel rejected the beast tells me to drink.
Then think it through. If you drink, will you feel better? Last times you relapsed, and you are back here, right? Which tells me that we already know that the answer isn't in a bottle.
You quit, which means you have the power in yourself to quit. That's great.
Hold onto that power and resolve not to give anyone else the ability to make you do anything that would harm you. You can acknowledge feelings, but feelings aren't facts.
Just because you have a feeling doesnt equal, makes you drink. You can do it.
Old 12-12-2012, 11:59 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

A month ago, you were in the middle of alcoholic seizures, I went back and skimmed all your postings. You have a YOUNG CHILD you need to care for. That alone should make you a responsible adult.

You have had a terrible month, I'll give you that, the seizure, the ambulance, someone breaking down your door, getting your phone stolen and getting your tires slashed, a new relationship, dates And you live in the middle of nowhere. Call your mother to come and stay with you?
Old 12-12-2012, 12:09 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Behindblueeyes - Please don't let this throw you off course. Don't allow this person's decision to see his x again take away all that you've worked for. It is NOT worth it. You will have other people in your life. Give yourself a chance to heal - hold on to that sobriety you fought so hard to have.
Old 12-12-2012, 02:13 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by behindblueyes View Post
Choublak you're probably right my nights were filled with over 100 texts to anf from this person and he filled the time I would be drinking with positive time. He would say things like "you are an alcoholic you know you aren't missing out on anything even though its a Friday night just talk to me forget the bar..".

I don't know how to cope. Plus the way he shot me down for another girl thru text then told me he doesn't want to hear about it if I'm upset just to stop texting was rude.

I'm in early sobriety and everything is so confusing. I don't know how to take care of me. All my friends are gone now absolutely will not go back to drinking friends. Yes this was my boss but he is a year younger.
Maybe it would be best to hold off on dating for awhile, and figure out how to take care of you first.
Old 12-12-2012, 02:44 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

She won't she drinks with my alcoholic dad who is up to 8 beers a night she claims. He doesn't let her leave. This is a hard stretch since I don't have custody of my child back until Sunday night but I've been in bed to prevent going anywhere. That detox is a constant reminder of where I was a month ago and I may not survive another. Just don't understand how I didn't see this coming. Thanks all.
Old 12-12-2012, 03:20 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Colts!

behindblueyes...hope this finds you with sobriety still intact!

The bad news: it seems your drinking life has left you with very few friends that aren't alcoholics.

The good news: you are starting a new life that will be full of people who you choose, rather than people that will drink with you.

The great news: one day you will look back at this rough patch with a confidence stronger than ever when you realize that you just did what has been holding you back.

You can't cope without alcohol, people rejecting you makes you drink, you have no support...etc. Well damnit I disagree. Look at yourself. All this has happened, the past month sounds like hell for you, and you're still sober. Thats a heck of an accomplishment. Get off your hands and go do something to treat yourself. Get a milkshake, make a cake, eat a juicy steak. However you spoil yourself, go do it. I won't pat you on the back too much, you are giving external things a lot of power over you. Or are you? You haven't drank, so how much power do they really hold? I think this is more a case of venting and a hint of whining. So call it what it is, you just needed to vent and blow off some steam.

Now get back to your new sober life!
Old 12-13-2012, 10:21 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

As my mother used to say to be when I was down, 'pull up your boot straps and get it done."

Just stay sober because you will undoubtedly make better decisions sober than drunk. And in time you will feel better physically and will be able to move on and gain control of yourself again. No matter how bored you are sitting there remember you have the internet and can chat with people.