Notices

Sneeze attacks

Old 12-11-2012, 03:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
DAB

Sneeze attacks

When I used to drink copious amounts of beer, I would start sneezing and not be able to stop for several minutes.
This usually happened around the 6th to 8th beer and while drinking them rather quickly.
Has this happened to anyone else on SR?
Just curious.
Old 12-11-2012, 03:12 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

In the morning after a binge. Almost everyday actually ;-)
Old 12-11-2012, 04:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

This happens to my father when he drinks. He has sneeze after sneeze after sneeze and it goes on for a bit. Its strange because it never happens when hes not drinking.
Old 12-11-2012, 04:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
DAB

Originally Posted by newman23 View Post
This happens to my father when he drinks. He has sneeze after sneeze after sneeze and it goes on for a bit. Its strange because it never happens when hes not drinking.
That is exactly what used to happen to me.
I wonder what causes this?
Old 12-11-2012, 05:21 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
~sb

alcohol can effect the sinuses....

or it's the "allergy"
Old 12-11-2012, 06:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I start sneezing after drinking beer. It's usually when I've reached the line between buzzed and drunk. I sneeze and sneeze and it goes away once i drink another beer and fall into the drunk area.
Old 12-11-2012, 09:34 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Bri

Used to happen to me also. I even noticed it was worse with certain types of beer.
Old 12-11-2012, 10:30 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yes, happened with vodka too but I assumed it was because I developed seasonal allergies as I got older. Was a real buzz kill and sometimes gave me hiccups too.
Old 12-12-2012, 01:47 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Wowwwwww, exactly what TheJungianThing said.
It is so funny to have come across this thread. I grew up very healthy with no allergies and about the time I started drinking heavily, I started sneezing and feeling stuffed up almost all the time (yanno...by being drunk almost all the time).
I never, ever evereverever put two and two together and as I think back, yeah, my sneezing and stuffiness has really cleared up over the months. Crazy. Just another "pro" to list in quitting drinking.
Old 12-14-2012, 03:11 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Yep...

...it was that way with me no matter what I drank. In fact, very often the sneezing was the first indicator to my wife that I was drinking and trying to hide it. She figured the sneezing out before I did and didn't tell me so she would have a sign of what I was doing. She's a very smart lady!
Old 12-14-2012, 03:44 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Me too. Fascinating. I would get major sneezing attacks associated with drinking, either in the aftermath of a binge or as I was in the early stages of tying one back on. I always assumed it was some allergy-like reaction, my immune system going nuts.
Old 12-14-2012, 06:49 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

So weird so many responses. Yet i've looked this **** up online and nothing really. Maybe we are all allergic to the booze and thats why we can't easily get away? i wish there was more info
Old 12-14-2012, 09:19 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Alcohol effects every organ in your body. Exactly what's going on with the sneezing? It could be your body trying to detox. It also could be that alcohol opens pores and if you can imagine what it does to the small intestine well.. a lot of substances that shouldn't be in the blood might get in. Plenty of allergy possibilities!
Old 12-15-2012, 12:05 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Sally1009

Alcohol actually suppreses your body's defence against allergens. I don't snezze when I drink, but I can get wheezy, since I am asthmatic. Hope that helps. Google histamine and antihistamine, that should give you more information.
Old 12-15-2012, 01:32 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

OMG!!! OMG!!! This happens to my dad frequently!!! He is a heavy beer drinker and is in some state of non-sobriety everyday. I thought he just had a sensitivity (not a true allergy) to dust or pollen or something like that. VERY interesting.
Old 01-03-2017, 07:09 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Sorry If I am resurrecting an old thread. I just thought I would share my knowledge, I have frequently experienced sneezing fits while drinking. They usually happen on the border of being buzzed and drunk. It is my understanding that this is caused by a dilation of blood vessels in the sinus cavities which results in an excess of mucus build-up which in turn result in the sneezing fits. This is in my honest opinion a warning sign from your own body to slow down. It means you have consumed too much alcohol too fast. Your brain is a wonderful thing and it will tell you what you need to know if you are willing to listen.
I will say this as a self proclaimed alcoholic who is hell bent on beating alcoholism, I subject myself to it frequently in order to help understand the disease a little better. With each controlled drunken event I gain a little more. Please heed my advice before you wind up another victim.

-

Last edited by Dee74; 01-03-2017 at 07:39 PM.
Old 01-03-2017, 07:47 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Fate

D
Old 01-03-2017, 07:59 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Oh yeah I used to sneeze like crazy, not when I was first drinking, not for years actually, just in the past couple of years. I think I developed an allergy to it.
Old 01-03-2017, 10:07 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
fgo

Yep, no matter what I drank. Guess I do have an allergy to it.
Old 01-04-2017, 06:06 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
under new management

Originally Posted by newman23 View Post
Same, except it happens to my husband, ONLY, when he drinks.