Notices

Sobriety Medallions

Old 02-24-2013, 09:43 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Theend, the medallions and "sobriety chips" are pretty meaningless to me. I know of many folks who simply lie about their sobriety & go on up and collect them. I once saw a guy get a 10yr chip yet I use to see his pick up truck at Al's Bar and Grill nightly.
Old 02-24-2013, 10:52 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Justfor1 View Post
Theend, the medallions and "sobriety chips" are pretty meaningless to me. I know of many folks who simply lie about their sobriety & go on up and collect them. I once saw a guy get a 10yr chip yet I use to see his pick up truck at Al's Bar and Grill nightly.
Mebbe it's time for you to get to know some other folks ('n p.s., the 'negatives' I saw in others were usully reflections of my own 'negatives.') Yes, of course, there will always be those who 'cheat' regarding their sobriety, but they are in the minority. I have found that I find that which I seek, and when I sought folks with the kind of good (sic) sobriety that I wanted, those are who I found (all the recovered folks i know have the time their medallions claim).....................

(o:
NoelleR
Old 02-24-2013, 10:53 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

How long have you been sober? I am at 4 months myself and one group I attend gives chips for up to 1 yr and then yearly after that. Another group only does up to three months then skips to 6 months then to 9 months and then 1 yr. after that it becomes annual. I attended a group last week that did keytags (keychains) for each month up to one year. So pretty much all groups revert to once a year after the first year. Do you plan to show case or wear the item? Or do you want to carry it with you?
Old 02-24-2013, 11:01 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

i wrote you a separate message privately, but I also had some thoughts about this worth sharing on the forum. Isn't the AA medallion, at least partially, about SHARING your accomplishments with others? Having a bit of recognition, getting a pat on the back when you sit back down and a smiling face to bring you joy? I think buying your own medallions is totally cool, but why not couple that with a monthly dinner with friends, or a date with a loved one where you can share in the celebration a bit too?

Congrats on moving forward, congrats on your sobriety!
Old 02-24-2013, 11:34 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NoelleR View Post
Well, actually, sobriety chips, tokens, medallions, or whatever you call them, are sold at AA Central Offices/Intergroup Offices, which fall under GSO, which falls under GSB.....in AA's organizational charts. So, one could say that they are endorsed by AA.

(o:
NoelleR

God as a program of recovery is endorsed by AA. Trinkets and good luck charms don't come into the mix. Regardless of where they sell them. AA sells a book to make money at the New York level. Don't you think they would invest in the manufacture of other things like coins, coffee cups and key fobs if they were part of the program??
Old 02-24-2013, 12:06 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I have bought some of my own AA chips
online which is a personal choice to celebrating
each yr. sober for me.

While at Stugis last yr. I went to the Central
Office and picked up my 22 yr. chip.

Whatever I chose to do in celebrating quietly
my own recovery/sobreity is a personal joy
and accomplishment in which i am very grateful
for.
Old 02-24-2013, 05:25 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Cool

Originally Posted by Leadfoot View Post
God as a program of recovery is endorsed by AA. Trinkets and good luck charms don't come into the mix. Regardless of where they sell them. AA sells a book to make money at the New York level. Don't you think they would invest in the manufacture of other things like coins, coffee cups and key fobs if they were part of the program??
Like I've said in other posts, if you don't think these items are 'AA' why don't you, or your GSO reps, inform them of their error......get them to stop their endorsement of these items by selling them.

Do I think they would invest in the manufacture of other things like coins, coffee cups and key fobs if they were part of the program?? .... absolutely not; AA, or at least the AA I know, doesn't believe in reinventing the wheel.

(o:
NoelleR
Old 02-24-2013, 05:32 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
High on Life

Originally Posted by Justfor1 View Post
Well that's them, I don't lie about my sobriety. I know what my medallions mean to me!
Old 02-24-2013, 05:34 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Cool

Originally Posted by TheEnd View Post
Well that's them, I don't lie about my sobriety. I know what my medallions mean to me!
Goodonya, TheEnd

(o:
NoelleR
Old 02-24-2013, 06:30 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Originally Posted by Justfor1
I once saw a guy get a 10yr chip yet I use to see his pick up truck at Al's Bar and Grill nightly.
I've been to any number of Al's Bar and Grills and not drank. I've also done celebratory "shots" in bars where my friends have made one for me that is water or grapefruit juice. What of it? I don't drink alcohol. Ever. I don't have to go around convincing others of that. Don't assume you know what others are doing.