Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

The Peaks and Valleys of the Addictive Brain and Dopamine

Notices

Old 12-07-2012, 04:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Over the years when I was drinking regularly I noticed what appeared to be a normal fluctuation in the desire to imbibe. Some weeks it seemed like I couldn't drink enough and was never satiated and other weeks I would seem to think less about it.

Even in my current periods of sobriety I have noticed that the same peaks and valleys I used to experience when drinking seem to apply to cravings. Some weeks I hardly think about drinking and others I can't seem to keep my mind off it.

I have begun to think that maybe there is correlation between normal fluctuations in Dopamine and how that might affect our desires and cravings. Since there are techniques in the medical field being used to naturally control Dopamine I thought it would be a good idea to research it.

Below is a link of what I found. Hopefully it helps some of you out there struggling with cravings and impulses.

In light of this thinking, I wonder if a study by the scientific community would help to determine a medication that may help recovering alcoholics based on Dopamine regulation?

Here is the link for a guide to naturally controlling your Dopamine.

Have a great sober weekend everyone.

How to Naturally Increase Dopamine Levels | eHow.com
Old 12-07-2012, 04:54 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Here's a link regarding a Doctor's study that finds a deficiency Dopamine D2 may play a role in addictive behavior.

First direct evidence that response to alcohol depends on genes: Dopamine receptor deficiency leads to significant brain changes in response to drinking
Old 12-07-2012, 04:56 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Another study here from 2005

Alcoholism, dopamine and the brain