SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Alcoholism (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/)
-   -   Owning up to your mistakes (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/276830-owning-up-your-mistakes.html)

anticon 12-07-2012 03:17 PM

Owning up to your mistakes

Although I realize that getting an OWI or perhaps multiple OWI's is an embarrassing experience, it doesn't have to be all bad. Today I learned that by being honest with my professor and telling him the truth of why I was absent for class; he was more lenient and is allowing me to turn my paper in late. With my girlfriend of which I recently started dating, I tell her everything that I am going through and how much it sucks but don't beat myself up so badly for it. It can even turn into an interesting conversation. I'm just posting this in hopes that people can see that by owning up to your mistakes instead of denying them or wallowing in regret, you will become a much stronger person. Does anyone agree with me on this matter? Is it always better to be honest about your OWI's to everyone around you, instead of completely dodging the subject and digging a hole for yourself? Does anyone else have any experiences where owning up to their OWI has worked in their favor or perhaps an experience where at has gone terribly wrong (perhaps at a job interview etc.)?

Impurrfect 12-07-2012 03:24 PM

((anticon)) - Good for you! I've been in recovery for going on 6 years, and have been on several job interviews and did not reveal my past. This is because nothing is on my record and it's a field that me being a recovering drug addict may be a problem.

However, I have another recovering friend, a few months into recovery. She just got a job and was totally honest about her past.

I would much rather be totally upfront, but have chosen to do so on a case-by-case basis.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy

anticon 12-07-2012 03:31 PM

Thanks for sharing. :) This brings me to another question. Now that I have two OWI's on my record, and am currently in the process of finding another job, I'd like to know. When filling out the application form, when asked about criminal history; do you outright lie in hopes of getting at least an interview where the employer can get to know you better?

Justfor1 12-07-2012 03:58 PM

I have 3 DUI's. I am no longer guilty or ashamed of any of them. I believe society has judged me long enough. I believe in 10-15yrs the texting & driving crowd will be looked down upon. They will start taking away their cell phones, jail, fines ect....

Impurrfect 12-07-2012 04:08 PM

((anticon)) - I've never lied about anything I know is on my record. I have a DUI that is almost 20 years old, but if asked if I've ever had a charge, including misdemeanors, I answer "yes" with the details they ask for.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy

Bri 12-07-2012 07:56 PM

Regardless of the potential negative outcome it is always best to be honest with employers about the OWI's. Most employers will fire you on the spot if they find out you lied about having a criminal record. On the bright side as long as its not a job where you are driving on the time clock, OWI's aren't a big deal to a lot of jobs. Best of luck to you!