Notices

Filing A Law Suit Becasue Of Alcoholism....

Old 12-07-2012, 04:15 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

[QUOTE=AcceptingChange;3707433]Wow! Well, that seems too severe to me. A person can get their first DUI coming back from their daughter's wedding and having 3 glasses of champagne. The DUI law only allows .08 BAC, which is about 2-3 drinks. But you've got reasons for your opinion, so i won't try to change your mind.

My ideas are severe. But lawmakers can't have it both ways. For example, they claim drunk driving is involved in up to 50% of all driving fatalities. If that is true, why give someone like me 4 CHANCES until my license is suspended for life? It's because it brings in money to the towns & court system. The laws that the MADD group help get past are designed for 1rst time offenders. The problem is the person with 5+ DUI's who keeps driving drunk with no license or insurance.
Old 12-07-2012, 04:32 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Fellow Traveler and Seeker

Forgive me, I might be confused, but according to how you see it, you yourself should be in prison right now?
Old 12-07-2012, 04:35 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

How many times do you tell people it's raining ... (while you are peeing up their leg)?
Why don't you concern yourself with your own clean-up before you try to change the judicial system?
Old 12-07-2012, 04:47 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

justfor1 what are you trying to prove. i am sorry to say, you are uphill fight. i hate to say it, but you got busted, and this is your punishment. be lucky it is that only,, what if you hit someone and killed them,, then you will be in prison.
Old 12-07-2012, 04:52 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I'd go bark up a different tree. Go after the system that has turned this problem into a profit deal instead of combating the problem. You know they could put a real big stopper in the problem if they wanted to. There's just too much money in it.
Old 12-07-2012, 05:01 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Sounds like your state has given you a last-ditch opportunity to drive before revoking your license permanently.

Cause and effect - I suspect there are far more fatalities and lives permanently ruined as a result of drinking and driving than from the use of alcohol monitoring machines.

We have rights, as individuals, but when it comes to public safety, we have the law. The courts could theoretically agree with you, determine that the machines cause dangerous driving situations, and then weigh the two "evils" against each other. They could come to the conclusion that a convicted drunk should be kept from behind the wheel and ban the use of BAC machines in vehicles. So now what would be your alternative?

Unfortunately, as far as paying your dues, you truly have no say in the matter. That ended when you either copped a plea or were convicted.

Acceptance and doing the next best thing are far more productive. Just my opinon.
Old 12-07-2012, 05:14 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I diagree with most of the people on here.
I had a breathalyzer installed in my car, so I know how it goes.
Truth the told, the thing can be so darn finicky Im waiting for the time when it is either "improved" or pulled off the market for causing accidents. I cant even count the number of false postivies I had (once I had enough of this, called the cops on myself, and requested they breathalyzer me). It was NEGATIVE.
And, the thing often takes sooo long to boot up, and it its cold out (I live in Canada) it doesnt work...at all. So I payed over $800 a month for something that cant even reliably get me to work.
Twice I called the company and said there was something wrong with my device. Twice they told me I was lying, until I came in, payed to switch devices, and no more issues.

Now, I have no issue with the whole theory. But if you havent driven with one, especially if you drive standard, you have no idea of the stress and hazards it can (and Im sure will) cause. The thing has a time limit...k, so when Im on the highway with nowhere to pull over in 2 minutes, what the hell am I supposed to do? Cause an accident?

All I think is that in all honesty, you have no idea how danegourous these things can be if you have never had them. They are much more finicky and tempermental than you would think. In 9 monthes, I also has THREE recalls...
Old 12-07-2012, 05:19 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

This isnt like suing someone about hot coffee.
I believe in taking responsibility for your own actions.
However, the breathalyzers in my car were downright dangerous. Even my bf, Lawyer!!!!, parents, and friends who drove the car thought so.
Old 12-08-2012, 04:29 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Just a question? How many DUIs do you have before they order the *dangerous* machine installed on your car.
Old 12-08-2012, 05:35 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I had one. I wasnt ordered, it was voluntary. I wont do it again. Id rather have no license and not drive. Im certainly not saying impaired driving is acceptable at all. And, Im not even sure if a lawsuit is appropriate, I wouldnt go that far.

But I do believe they are dangerous, much like talking on a cell or texting while driving, but worse. Use of cell phone in cars have caused many accidents as well. Just my experience and opinion.
Old 12-08-2012, 05:39 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I think the models need to be improved for safety reasons, or someone with an impaired, or numerous imparied charges cant drive.
Old 12-08-2012, 06:10 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

wind, thank you for understanding what I'm saying. Of course, you have driven with one so you understand how nerve racking it can be. I cannot even use my emergency asthma inhaler because it can set the machine off. I will see what the lawyer says next week. If he thinks that there is no chance then I will accept it & move on. At least the machine isn't expensive as I lease it & do not have to buy it.
Old 12-08-2012, 06:21 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Like I said, I do believe they are dangerous.
So is drunk driving too, obviously. VERY dangerous.
I thank God every darn day I didnt hurt any innocent people. And since I clearly cannot trust myself right now, I have NO ISSUES at all with not being able to drive. If fact, it is a relief. I dont need access to a potential deadly weapon on wheels right now. Much better for the safety of society, and myself.
Old 12-08-2012, 06:23 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

...Ill take my "licks" for it. I did the crime. Ive got to take ownership and responsibility.
Old 12-08-2012, 06:53 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

I hear ya. Drunk driving is very dangerous. Technically, most people drink before driving. I use to actually drink beer/vodka while I was driving. I was always waking up to find dents in my car and mysterious fast food wrappers in my auto. I admit that I did not care about hitting and injuring myself or others on the road. Alcoholism is a very selfish disease. But that doesn't change my stance on this alcohol machine. BTW it doesn't stop someone from driving the car high as a kite on narcotics.
Old 12-08-2012, 07:32 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

I deserve to drive & paid my dues.
our problems are of our own making and an alcoholic is an extreme example of self will run riot.
driving isnt something you( or anyone else) deserve. it is a privilege.

by the time this suit gets to the courts, yer blow-n-go will be long gone.

maybe go find some folks who have been paralized or lost limbs due to a drunk driver and ask them what they think.

theres a very simple, less expensive, solution:
learn how to use the blow-n-go. keep it where it is easily accessible.
or, you can keep blaming everything and everyone.
Old 12-08-2012, 08:19 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

I think the whole interlock thing happened as a way to allow the convicted drunk driver a way to drive and still protect society.

The blow and go is not about you... It's about all of us... so you don't drive drunk and kill or maim one of us....something you have said you aren't particularly worried about while you are drinking.

Without the interlock option I believe they would have just snagged youR license... Simple.

Maybe be grateful you have the option at all?
Old 12-08-2012, 08:23 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by KnowHope View Post
Something the occasional alcoholic loves: DRAMA

Sorry, but I'm calling BS. Feels like just one more attempt to stir the pot.

I'd be happy to help when you're ready to deal with accountability, amends, inventory, etc.
BAM. Told it like it is.
Old 12-08-2012, 08:41 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

I am sure there will be problems when I get one, but honestly, I will be so thankful to drive, I will cross that bridge when I come to it.

I am going to look at cars today! So excited.

Driving is a privilege. And unfortunately we lost it due to risking others' lives. This is a way to earn it back.
Old 12-08-2012, 08:51 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

[QUOTE=Elisabeth888;3708290]I am sure there will be problems when I get one, but honestly, I will be so thankful to drive, I will cross that bridge when I come to it.
I am going to look at cars today! So excited.

Congrats. I'm sure with all the hoops you had to jump through you deserve to drive also. It's interesting though that I have been noticing almost as much media attention & highway signs regarding the dangers of texting & driving as traditional drunk driving. That will be the next driving taboo & just wait until they find a way to enforce & bring in the money. FYI, I don't use my cell phone ever while driving. It's deadly.