Notices

Replacing one addiction for another

Old 12-06-2012, 06:11 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Replacing one addiction for another

I just wanted to find out how many members simply shift addictions when they become sober.
My H and I haven't drunk for 6 months and are doing well. Everything in our family life is improving and this is the first Christmas we will have spent sober together in the 22 years we have been married.
We are following completely different paths in sobriety but that's ok. There's love and acceptance and good old fashioned tolerance.
I have sort of thrown myself into AA. I go out to meetings, I read, I try and practice the principles. I also spend a lot of time on this forum. I admit I'm an alcoholic and will do anything to get well. And I'm doing ok.
He on the other hand has never described himself as an alcoholic. In the beginning he admitted he didn't like the way he became when he was drunk. He regrets lots of his past actions. He is naturally very single minded so his stubbornness at sticking to his declaration to quit has seen him this far. I used to worry all the time that this wouldn't last because he is still in denial but I've learned to look after my own recovery, be grateful for what I have today and accept there is nothing I can do to change the way he feels and that isn't my job anyway.
But, his addictive nature is showing itself in every other aspect of his life now. He is becoming really secretive at hoarding things, he is over spending (ridiculously so) on things we don't need and I don't think he even wants. We both work full time, he has his own money,so there is no need for him to be secretive at all. He is angry, a lot. Mostly over nothing in particular-the way someone has parked their car, a neighbour who has left their bins out ( yes, these are real examples!!) His behaviour is worrying me a bit. I think he has just switched addictions and is storing resentment.
I don't think there's much I can do. But it's like a simmering pressure cooker....
Anyone else feel like he does?
Old 12-06-2012, 06:22 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm a month sober and don't feel like that. I do feel sadness a lot, but not that much anger other then at myself sometimes for waiting so long to wake up.

Don't care much about the neighbour's bins or lifes.
Old 12-06-2012, 06:30 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

He isn't a sad person. He actually is fairly up-beat unless he's angry!
The bad times, the sad times he's had through drinking aren't discussed at all.
It is a strange thing. I'm all for everyone finding their own way, and my way is no better than his, just different.
But he is just acting so secretively and his resentment at just about everything outside of our house is growing all the time. I have tried to discuss things, but he clams up. As far as he's concerned, he isn't drinking and that's enough.
Old 12-06-2012, 07:10 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
~sb

anger is fear

sounds like untreated alcoholism to me, but I don't know him.....

focus on you!! it's all we can do.
Old 12-06-2012, 07:19 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Fellow Traveler and Seeker

What you describe is often referred to as untreated alcoholism.

He may have put down the bottle, but the causes and conditions which used to make him pick up in the first place are still there. In the big book, they talk about the "bedevilments" on page 52:

"We were having trouble with personal relationships, we couldn't control our emotional natures, we were a prey to misery and depression, we couldn't make a living, we had a feeling of uselessness, we were full of fear, we were unhappy, we couldn't seem to be of real help to other people"

When the spiritual malady isn't addressed, which is where the steps come in, then these things almost always occur. The solution to our problems was the bottle - a **** poor solution of course - but that was what we reached for. Those who solely abstain still have those things cropping up and have no solution for them. And so they are restless, irritable and discontented, as the big book describes them.

You are on a spiritual path - you are working the program, go to meetings, practice the principles, etc. Hence, you are not experiencing what he is experiencing. If you're gonna take a bone out of a dog's mouth, you better replace it with a steak, if you know what I mean. He isn't experiencing serenity because there is nothing to address the underlying causes for his past drinking.

And yes, of course, alcoholism manifests into other behaviors - some get into sex, gambling, debting (spending), food, shoplifting, etc. It's all about getting to the core stuff and dealing with it, or the addiction just switches uniforms.

Your gut on all of this is correct. It's only a matter of time until something gives - either he picks up again, or he goes full blown into the other stuff, or he just gets angrier.

For me, I was finding that I was using sugar in similar ways to alcohol. I was hoarding it, hiding it, bingeing on it, etc. I had to eliminate that as well, so that I could find more clarity into what made me reach for something else. Once I did that, and doing another 4th with my sponsor, I was able to get deeper into things, and to remove what didn't serve me any more. So yes, it is not uncommon for us to shift into something else.
Old 12-06-2012, 07:41 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thankyou Paul. Yes that's what I think too. He's got through so many situations and remained sober. But with Christmas coming up he is being tested big time.
AA is not for him, he is supportive of me but refuses to entertain it for himself. And thats his choice. while it is helping me, there is no doubt in my mind that it isnt for everyone and i respect that. But he has nothing else.
I wish he would look into other recovery methods but he doesn't accept he is an alcoholic.
He has many underlying issues and I try to help.
Restless, irritable and discontent....
He is the kindest, funniest person I've ever met.
But he's struggling I know.
Time will play this out I guess.
Old 12-06-2012, 08:31 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by Jeni26 View Post
... His behaviour is worrying me a bit. I think he has just switched addictions and is storing resentment.
I don't think there's much I can do. But it's like a simmering pressure cooker....
Anyone else feel like he does?
I suffered from being restless irritable and discontent dozens of times when I was only getting short stints at sobriety. In the long-run, it drove me nuts and I would feel like sobriety was killing me (which in fact, it was).

I finally ended up having a Spiritual Awakening that made sobriety a piece of cake. That eliminated most of the anger and resentments in my life (except the first month of driving a long-haul truck).

I also developed an affinity for trying to help other alcoholics. I sometimes attend up to 4-5 fellowship meetings per week. However, it s not like an addiction. It is more like a hobby.
Old 12-06-2012, 08:35 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

IMO if he is an alcoholic of the type described in the Big Book, then by putting down booze, he put down his treatment for alcoholism. Sounds like he is finding other things to treat it. Pretty common among alcoholics who avoid the spiritual approach. Best thing you could do is be an example of what a spiritual life has to offer. Best wishes to you.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:16 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Jeni: the gift you are giving yourself is sobriety, perhaps you could do a small meditation time of prayer/affirmation for your husband, then let your HP have the thoughts for the remainder of the day.
Take good care
Bloss
Old 12-06-2012, 11:38 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Everyone has bad days; this has nothing to do with spirituality.

Could it be he wishes you would spend more time with him and less time at meetings. Perhaps it's time you looked at his method of sobriety. It may be better for your family.
Old 12-06-2012, 11:50 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Ouch! That hurt. I'm absolutely doing this for my family. I wasn't much good for them before.
Thing is, he's not cross at me. We're fine. It seems to be when he has to face life outside our family unit he struggles.
This isn't about AA. Im not going to start defending my decision to work that programme. It's about how best to help him.

Anyway. I will sign off from this one I think.
Old 12-06-2012, 11:55 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

You're doing fine, Jeni. I've gone through every emotion in recovery ... to the extreme.

Read the Step 4 in the 12&12. Well written.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 12-06-2012, 12:20 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Ouch! That hurt. I'm absolutely doing this for my family. I wasn't much good for them before.
Thing is, he's not cross at me. We're fine. It seems to be when he has to face life outside our family unit he struggles.
This isn't about AA. Im not going to start defending my decision to work that programme. It's about how best to help him.

Anyway. I will sign off from this one I think.
I wasn't criticising you at all. You sound like you're giving it 100%.

For me though, AA failed me and meetings kept me away from my family.
Old 12-06-2012, 01:52 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don't know your husband at all Jeni but it took me about a year to sort myself out - I had 20 years of drinking to 'undo'.

I was single for most of the time, but I've no doubt for a lot of that year I wasn't always at my best...

but I stayed sober and things fell into place eventually - I hope it will be the same for him too

I think you're already doing all you need to do.
It's his journey to walk

D
Old 12-06-2012, 04:22 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
High on Life

He on the other hand has never described himself as an alcoholic. In the beginning he admitted he didn't like the way he became when he was drunk. He regrets lots of his past actions. He is naturally very single minded so his stubbornness at sticking to his declaration to quit has seen him this far.
My partner never described himself as an alcoholic, although he has no problem calling everyone else one (LOL), and he is almost sober for 2 years. This approach seems to work for him, although I think he has it in his mind that he can go back to drinking one day, but that's not important. What's important is he is not drinking today.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:21 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thank you. That has made me feel a whole lot better.
I was in danger yet again of massively over-thinking everything.
He's sober. I'm sober. And we are doing great.
Old 12-07-2012, 11:10 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

He's sober. I'm sober. And we are doing great.
Seems like you have a lot of blessings to count. Browse the forum here a bit and see how many wives would give their right arm to have their husband not drinking any more.
Old 12-07-2012, 02:38 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I have felt angry that way but not for small things. I get angry when i speak with my daughters mother because it is my addiction that ruined our relationship. She wants to move out of the state and take the kids. Interacting with her makes me angry but its the only way to interact with the kids. I have been smoking more.