Notices

alcohol vs attention, concentration

Old 11-26-2012, 08:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

alcohol vs attention, concentration

my power to concentrate or give my complete attention to one thing is awful,

i belive its the alcohol, i am newly sober but im hoping in time it will get better,

have any of you lot suffered attention problems and do you belive its alcohol related
Old 11-26-2012, 08:24 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sally1009

Yes, I certainly found things like attention, memory, concentration were all affected badly by my alcohol consumption. It takes a while to go back to normal.
Old 11-26-2012, 08:37 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Trudger of Happy Destiny

Definitely have...attention, reading comprehension, etc, were all damaged by booze and drugs for me. Memory was also affected quite a bit. Kept forgetting about that one, though.
Old 11-26-2012, 08:51 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I was/am very restless sober. I am not sure if I was always like that and being drunk was the only thing that kept me from moving. I'm not sure it matters too much now. I still get things done, just in little bits
Old 11-26-2012, 01:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Fellow Traveler and Seeker

I was a zombie for the first month or so. I was thrilled the first time I couldn't remember where I left something and it wasn't because I was drunk...ha ha. Wasn't so funny after that.

It takes time for all those crossed wires to mend.

Old 11-27-2012, 04:02 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I've wondered the same thing myself -- whether alcohol was causing any of my concentration/attention problems. However I've found even after not drinking for a few months I still don't have much of an attention span. When I think back on it I had similar issues in school from a very young age, before I ever drank. In a way I think I used alcohol as a form of self-medicating for attention deficit disorder...as a way to slow the brain down a bit every night. So now I have to find healthier ways to deal with it. Right now, daily exercise and playing guitar help. So, for some I think alcohol may make them more ADD, others maybe less.
Old 11-27-2012, 04:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

If I am honest I could concentrate on anything for hours if it meant I could keep on drinking.

I could watch any film, any television programme, surf the internet, channel hop, or have a telephone conversation for hours and hours if it meant I could keep necking booze.

In truth it did not matter what I did as long as booze was involved.

Now I get bored easily and have to keep finding things to concentrate on.
But I think this is good as it means I am not prepared to waste hours slumped on the sofa drinking. I also recognise when I have had enough and need to do something else, move on or even go to sleep now.

I am still forgetful sometimes. But I do not mind as long as drink is not involved.
If I am finding it hard to concentrate then it means it is time to do something else, my brain needs another challenge, or more likely I am tired and need to sleep.
Old 11-27-2012, 05:35 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Same here. I'm a walking zombie still. I see improvement but it's slow. B6/ complex vitamine seem to help as mentionned. I'm on multi vitamins also, Omega complex, fruits veggies, proteins, gallons of water, green tea, white tea purple tea. LOL You name it I'm taking it. So much damage caused. Ho well at least I'm a sober zombie!!!
Old 11-28-2012, 10:54 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
abc

My attention and focus are terrible now. I can't even sit through a movie anymore. I force myself to read but find it difficult to stay interested in the story. I don't know if it was the alcohol, the cocaine, or just age. I'm 1.5 years sober and have little improvement really. Keep in mind, aging alone messes up your brain big time.
Old 11-30-2012, 11:47 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

i tried to read a simple kids book to my neice but i couldnt concentrate, its rediculous really, agrown man unable to read a kids book lol
Old 11-30-2012, 12:08 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

If you're concerned, or it's impacting your life maybe a trip to the Dr may help set your mind at ease Boris?

D
Old 11-30-2012, 12:09 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by boris View Post
i tried to read a simple kids book to my neice but i couldnt concentrate, its rediculous really, agrown man unable to read a kids book lol
I'm anxious, nervous, and unable to concentrate much at all since I quit on Monday. Still, it's better than being drunk and I hope it will improve.
Old 11-30-2012, 12:36 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by boris View Post
The fact that you sat and tried is commendable. Keep it up.

I will tell you what the AA oldtimers told me in '89 : "Keep coming back.... it gets better".

It does.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 11-30-2012, 01:09 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I am a sober space cadet. For the first few weeks I could'nt finish my sentances. I am a little better now. Sober now for 45 days.
Old 11-30-2012, 01:13 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I have ADD anyways, alcohol actually helped me concentrate....I am a hot mess now!