Notices

irony...

Old 11-25-2012, 03:14 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

irony...

i eat well, take vitamins & milk thistle....guess trying to fend off the effects of the alcohol

i know it's slowly kill'n me, but i think it may take a health scare to stop
Old 11-25-2012, 03:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Nutrition is key I find. I eat well but allow myself sugar, 80% pure Cacoa (dark chocolatte) really is my thing right now. Somewhat healthy but sooooooo good with a nice green tea or milk. Ok that's it I'm going for some. LOL!
Old 11-25-2012, 03:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I really recommend stopping before the health scare.

The earlier we quit the best chance we have of no long term health consequences.

D
Old 11-25-2012, 03:42 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Your talking about your physical health with all the remedies you are trying.

What about your mental health?

You must be fighting a huge internal battle that allows you to drink and then you try to correct it with diet and supplements.

These thoughts, these actions, this confusion .....it must be worth stopping to have a bit of peace in your life?

I wish you the best x
Old 11-25-2012, 04:08 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I remember stopping at Walgreens on my way home from work one day I bought a bottle of milk thistle, Crest white strips, a 12 pack of Yuengling and a pack of Marlboro lights and thats it. I promise you I am not making this up. About a half an hour after I got home I was like what the f*ck? However that was completely logical thinking at the time. Let's cool it now before it's too late.
Old 11-25-2012, 04:10 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Trudger of Happy Destiny

Originally Posted by inlalaland View Post
i eat well, take vitamins & milk thistle....guess trying to fend off the effects of the alcohol

Are you talkin about health scare to stop drinking? I used to think it would take something drastic to happen health wise to get me to stop...Being physically unable to drink or I would die. Honestly, nothing short of a health scare stopped me before, so what's to say a health scare would actually do the trick? Chances are it wouldn't. I had to make the decision to stop and start doing something about it.
Old 11-25-2012, 04:14 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Fellow Traveler and Seeker

Kinda like trying to wipe an elephant's butt with confetti.

Why wait for the scare? Even when I would read about what alcohol would do to mangle my insides, I still drank. So even with poor test results, I still drank. Look at the causes and conditions that make your drink through working a program and you won't have to worry about things like that.

Don't take chances.
Old 11-25-2012, 04:22 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
2 detoxes down, 0 to go

Why does it have to be your health scare that convinces you to stop?

Look around the forum and read all the stories of people who have had nightmarish withdrawals, seizures, DT's, drunk driving accidents, etc, not to mention jobs lost, marriages lost, relationships with children ruined, etc.

Aren't you lucky that nothing like that has happened to you yet? You can make sure it never does.
Old 11-25-2012, 07:27 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
~sb

just wasting money on them....alcohol changes the lining of the stomach, some of those vitamins aren't really being absorbed because of the changes from the alcohol.....
Old 11-25-2012, 07:42 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

inlalaland
you do not want to wait for a health scare, that health scare might be the last one for ever. i am struggling also, but i want to stop before i have a health scare.
Old 11-25-2012, 09:02 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I went the supplement cover-up route for almost 4 years of daily alcoholism and was in generally great health until my esaphogus ruptured after a weekend bender and I nearly bled to death internally on the couch in front of my wife and three year old daughter. DO NOT wait until something like this happens. I almost paid the ultimate price at age 25 for this line of thinking.
Old 11-25-2012, 10:10 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

thank you all for the support. i do fear the damage i'm doing...blew off the last blood test ordered from my physical. i wouldn't go if i didn't need asthma meds...

i'm subscribed cytalopram, but i don't take it because i know alcohol is a depressant & that will just fight each other & i read antidepressants mess with your liver. alcohol feels better. wish i could see the light. today i read a post about is depression physiological or situational. i believe mine is about my life & situation, unfortunately....
Old 11-25-2012, 10:15 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

i read antidepressants mess with your liver.
*Nothing* messes with your liver quite like alcohol, inlalaland.

Maybe some of the folks here will share their stories....
D
Old 11-25-2012, 10:24 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

i'm not totally lost...i am reading "the easy way to stop drinking" by allen carr..but 1/2 way thru it & when's it gonna make sense & hit me? so far none of it i see as an easy way to stop drinking - from this book
Old 11-25-2012, 11:38 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

You don't have to take the elevator right to the bottom floor mate.

You will find the body recovers itself pretty fast once you stop putting poison into it

Good luck

Ads
Old 11-25-2012, 11:41 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's a book written in a very calculated, salesman-like, way.
The end is worth it though - in my opinion.

I mean seriously, what have you got to lose by reading the whole book...or any others that might help

when's it gonna make sense & hit me?
When I was looking for answers I was kinda like the guy who'd stand in the middle of a field with a big metal pole in a thunderstorm...I wanted that biblical epic epiphany.

great image...but it doesn't often work like that....that kind of certainty/sign from God doesn't happen very often. IMO.

Most of us have to start this journey off on faith...and trust that what we're doing (staying sober) is the right way to go.

You already know you need to stop....right?

D
Old 11-25-2012, 11:57 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Something brought you here. I can relate to the struggle.
The good news is that you can stop. Before all the inevitable horrible things happen.

And depression is worsened by alcohol. Yes I know well how the alcohol numbs it for a while, but the net result is always that you are worse than before.

I can promise you quitting drinking, seeing your doctor and exercising will do wonders.

Check out anything and everything. The forums and folks here are great. If you want to be sober, and are willing to do what it takes, you will make it.

It is rare to learn from others mistakes, but truly smart people do.

Best wishes.
Old 11-26-2012, 05:45 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

...so far none of it i see as an easy way to stop drinking.
As is often said, quitting isn't easy, but it is simple.

Stop drinking. Then deal with the difficulties as they arise.
Old 11-26-2012, 05:52 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

to me this sounds rather insane. alcohol doesnt really care how well ya treat yer body, it will treat it worse.

please make a decision to do something to stop drinking.
Old 11-26-2012, 07:07 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Alcohol wants you dead but not before it destroys everything you value and it appears that is OK with you. 80,000 each year die due to alcohol in the US. Car crashes, accidents, heart attacks, liver failure, ulcers, cancer, pancreatitis, aneurisms, stroke, alcohol poisoning, suicide, AIDs, murder, the list goes on and on.

You do not have to die. AA worked for me but there are numerous other ways. It is not easy but it is possible.

Life is all about choices